10-14-2010 05:41 AM

ShareThis Published:
Thu, 2010-10-14 13:33

Walking to Land's End for charity

feature_story_photo:
Photo Courtesy of Retired Major Kenneth Jolivet

Walking to Land's End for charity

Heather Joy

Retired Major Kenneth Jolivet has been walking for over 40 days now and over 1,000 miles for charity. He began his journey in John O’Groats at the very tip of mainland Scotland and has been making his way south towards Land's End at the very southern part of England.
Jolivet who retired from the U.S. Air Force in 2005 has chosen to walk for the charity, Save the Children. “They hurt every day, they don’t ask for it and our very vulnerable, children are innocent and often can’t help themselves,” explained Jolivet about his decision.
Jolivet’s remote starting location meant that he had to walk 36 miles the first day before he found a pub to bed down in for the night. After that he admits that the first 200 miles went smoothly except for some blisters that became painful. Then things became more difficult as the days passed. The challenge of carrying over 30 pounds on his back while battling blisters and fighting the total isolation of spending day after day alone began to take its toll.
“The trip became both a little bit of heaven and hell, pleasure and pain with every foot after foot, step after step. I was passing through some of the most wonderful scenery, meeting interesting people, but then there was the pain of mile after mile that made things very difficult, “ Jolivet explained.
Along the way Jolivet encountered the dangers of striking out on one’s own. While trekking through the wet rugged territory of the Cumbria Way, Jolivet became lost in the mountains. “I was thinking at what point do I call for rescue.” Jolivet went down one mountain to follow the river before locating a country road to the northwest on the map. “I then had to make my way back up the mountain and down the other side to make my way to this little country road. I almost broke my ankle and I fell on my back a couple of times,” Jovial continues, “I almost thought I was going to be lost in the ‘death mountains’.”
Although Jovial was in excellent shape and not new to the world of sports challenges having finished marathons, he was surprised at how challenging the trek has been. “I underestimated it. I’m fit, this is just walking, should be no problem, but it has been challenging both physically and mentally.”
After he completes his challenge Jolivet who spreads his time between London and Miami plans to visit his son Airmen 1st class Matthew Jolivet who is stationed in Germany.
To donate to Jolivet’s charity of choice Save the Children log onto www.justgiving.com and enter Jolivet's name.

Editor’s note: Check back to this site in the coming weeks for more information and photos from Jolivet’s walk for charity.

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links