The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Women Patriots

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2004, 06:39 AM

Default IN THIS SITUATION!!!!!!!

You're a couple miles in front of the lines on an all night ambush patrol. Engage the enemy. Grenades come at you by the bucket loads. The person next to you has one land on his butt and go off. The concussion, immediately makes him immobile. He's 6,3 and weighs 200+. He needs to be picked up and ran with the 2 miles back to the lines. Now I wouldn't care what your ethnicity, size, gender, etc., etc., that anyone was, as long as they could complete that task at hand. It's happened, time and time again, and when you have to make that decision, you don't have time to ruminate as to who can do that job. It has to be then OR there is no tomorrow. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SF
NC
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2004, 08:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My only Question Has Been Physical Strength

If women can provide the physical strength do the job, I have no problem with women at the front. The majority of women don't have the endurance to do a long term recon mission miles from the front. If they can pass equal physical fitness tests I have no problem with women in combat. Women have been used as fighter pilots and done quite well.

When I was doing Mountain Rescue we had women who could climb as well as anyone else but they never could carry their fair share of the load when it came to packing folks out. "You got enough guys to pack em out?" was the question that was asked and it developed a small amount of resentment among the crew.

There are a few beefed up women who could do the job anywhere and more power to them.

Keith
Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Blue

Now your talking about something different in GI Jane. In the MOVIE, you seen her do 1 or two push ups and jog 20 or 30 feet in front of a camera. There is NO WAY a women could go through SEAL school, NO WAY, Id bet the farm on that one.
Through a Army or Marine infantry school is one thing but the Delta force, seals, Air Force special ops, NO WAY. GI Jane was a joke and a not very good one at that.

Ron
Old 02-07-2004, 12:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I was kinda wondering about that exact point Ron... what little I know about Seals training (a nephew survived it :-) put together with GI JANE, didn't know if there was any relationship with the true experience or if it was a real story... but it kinda DOES come to the point of this thread if I say so myself, eh? Humper and some others have put the hair on the horse about it elsewhere too... but when I keep seeing something rising up in social conversation, it's one of those things... if you don't watch out all of a sudden it's "policy" and we all have to live with it...
Old 02-20-2004, 07:26 AM

I can't attest to a woman's role in combat. I'm neither pro or con. If they have the strenghth and courage to pass the training, go fur it. I will say the draft is an essential part of this country's military might. I believe there would be many to benifit if the draft was to be re-enstated. Maybe some of the young americans would learn basic responsibility and mature a bunch!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

kmac -

Well, if it would accomplish that last sentence of yours and be universal to ALL americans with no outs, then it'd probably be a good idea
Old 03-20-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Couple of thoughts

[quote]Originally posted by SuperScout there is no place for women in combat roles. Some don't have the strength, some don't have the temperament, and the same could be said for some men. But the missing element in all the previous posts is the issue of sexual tensions that women bring to the table.
[/QUOTE

Hey dude,

Don't be laying your overactive sexual tension onto women. We're not the cause of it. That's your own issue, take some saltpeter. And if we find ourselves - together in a firefight with the enemy - and if all you can think about is sex, darlin - you've got no business in my beloved Marine Corps. You're the one who doesn't belong in the battlefield. Don't be laying the blame for your sexual tension on the women. In this time of "don't ask, don't tell" you'd be equally concerned that that grunt behind you isn't looking at your sweet lookin behind! That may take care of that sexual tension.

I have known an equally distributed small number of men and women from the Marine Corps I wouldn't want to see in the battlefield. But they each would serve with honor in an administrative role or supportive role.

As for strength or "size," it's like that old saying: "it aint how big it is, it how you use it that counts."

Training is the key. In todays world, the backward thinking that once dominated the flimpsy "proper" role of women - both in the civilian world and the military world - has changed dratically. This will continue to progress.

Heck, the United States Marine Corps had their first woman fighter pilot fly and fight in Iraq. She served well and with honor - just like any of the men. Imagine that.

Equal Rights means Equal Rights to serve. Equally draft women, just like the men. As a woman, I believe firmly in equality all the way around.

semper fi
jchristin
Old 03-20-2004, 04:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Best watch yerself Christin... go easier.

I'll try to do the same likewise.

We ain't your enemy.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:12 PM

I believe that yes there should be an equal draft for both men and women.
As one of the first wave of women aircraft mechanics in the AF I was required to pass the same physical test as the men. I lifted my own toolbox out to the plane. The men had a dolly for their toolbox but would sometimes give me a tough time if I used one. On one such day, I was tending to a C141 filled with Marines heading to Cherry Point. I was pulling my toolbox along the tarmac on the dolly and a group of these guys started taunting me. I stopped, smiled and said in a sweet southern drawl..."Why don't one o' you boys come on over and carry this here heavy tool box for a lady?" One of the guys got this big grin on his face and came over to "help". When he tried to lift the box he just about hurt his little self. This was a special "Crew Chief" box that weighed over a hundred pounds. He gave new meaning to the word Grunt.

You see it doesn't always take brawn to get the job done. Sometimes you just need to do a smarter job. By the way...back then I weighed less than the toolbox.

The only issue that I see is unfair is that you will have many women getting pregnant on purpose to avoid a draft. I've many civilian friends who have said that they would do this to avoid going to war. I have turned and told them that they are fools. Men don't have this option and that I find most unfair. Not to mention the poor child, what kind of life would they really have?

Besides, I don't like any kind of draft men or women. You never get the best of the crop nor do you get very good results. Oh they will serve to avoid jail, but will they do a very good job if their heart isn't in it? Some may change their minds after they've been in, but most dont want to be there so why should they put forth the effort.

Okay now I'm rambling...sorry.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-20-2004, 06:20 PM

Oh and I almost forgot. As for long term recon...
Sorry Keith, beg to differ here.
It is a proven fact that women do a better job of watching and observing. Many animal researchers prefer to higher women to gather their field research because of the patience. (Jane Goodall comes to mind)

Now obviously, I've never been in that situation so I can't say exactly what is required for a recon mission. Not my forte.
This of course is just my opinion and observation on this issue.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan