The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 PM

Sir's!

Weapons and other material are not seldomly given an unofficial "nickname" by soldiers. At least it is my own experience from my own service, where we had unofficial "nicknames" for many different things, by everything from the nitted cap one was supposed to have under the helmet during winter, to the personal assaultrifle one was issued.

The Claymore mine was no exception, though however its "nickname" was slightly and partially "modified" just a few years ago over here. It is today inofficially referred to as (by rough translation to English from Swedish):

"Taliban television set"

Perhaps a somewhat "rough-edged" humor, that nickname. But that is how "things can become" at times, in service. Including the humor.

Though perhaps not all that well known, at least in USA, is that also Sweden has a small contingent of soldiers serving in Afghanistan. (Up in the northern parts of Afghanistan, by the town I beleive is spelled and called "Mazar e Sharif", close to the northern border towards Uzbekistan. Some time ago, Sweden suffered 2 KIA and 1 WIA by an detonated IED. Luckaly, they have so far, been the only casualtys for Swedens small military contingent in Afghanistan.

As for the name "Claymore", there is also actually a Scot blended whisky by that name. Have not tried that brand myself though.

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

PHO --- AB

PHO The round version of the grenade was coming out just as I left VN June 68 I seen One, The looked like a CS kinda. The Little round version was a SOG weapon, Never seen one of those at all, except in pictures.
What was the purpous of having 1/2 a grenade?

A-B
Think I'll get Some Claymore and watch some TV.
Swedish soldiers in Afghanistan, taking a stand against terrorism. Way to go Sweden.

Ron
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Hunter/Killer teams

The NVA employed H&K teams in an area where they suspected an insertion sometimes. If they picked up your trail you had to E&E to another pick up point. If they got hot on your trail sometimes we would set a timer on the mini grenade and drop it behind us so it would slow them down and give us a chance to didi mau.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

PHO
OK theres another one that I never seen, (Timer) Why wouldn't you want a timed regular Gernade?
We had this CIA/SOG guy come to our unit once a month or so to conduct field test for some weapon/equipment he had. Useually he would just drop it off and pick up next vist. Some pretty wild stuff I got a chance to "field test"

Ron
Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Too big and heavy

We didn't get resupplied like you guys. I could carry 5 or 6 of the small ones in an m14 ammo pouch. We wern't overly concerned about killing just slowing them down so we could get away. We were 6 guys maybe 9 on a heavy team. If we had to fight our way out we could but it was pretty much a loosing proposition if we got into a big fight. our best bet was run and gun.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pho
Know what you mean, been in that spot many times. Me , the LT, Machine gunner, M79 guy, and two or three guys with 16s and Laws.
Running was always better than fighting. E&E and Plan B was actually Plan A.

Ron
Old 09-13-2006, 05:25 PM

By the way.... The "Claymore" has the designation "Antipersonel mine 12" in Swedish defense forces. There is however a larger version of the same mine over here at least, which is normally more aimed for use against trooptransport vihicles. It designation is (translated roughly in to English) "Vihicle mine 13". You can see the somewhat different size, between the "12"/"Claymore, and the larger "13"-mine by single imagelink:

http://soldf.com/images/s_13r.jpg

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote