The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2003, 06:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Veterans Reflect on Anti-war Protests

http://www.americasvoices.org/archiv...elT_032603.htm Veterans Reflect on Anti-war Protests
A Shot Across the Bow

Thomas D. Segel
tsegel@americasvoices.org

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), English empiricist philosopher and social reformer

March 26, 2003

"I can still hear their screams and feel where one of them hit me across the shoulder with his sign ? and that was thirty years ago", recalls Roger Weiss. It was 1972, and he was returning home from Vietnam. The recently-wounded Army Sergeant was just getting off a bus in San Francisco when anti-war protesters verbally and physically attacked him.

He says that today, "Every time I see these people and hear their hate being screamed, all I can think of is that day. I guess it has been so difficult to put out of my mind, because I was really proud that I had served my country with honor ? and that was my homecoming greeting."

This is just one snap shot of how veterans and active duty service men and women react to the anti-war movement. It is particularly disheartening to those who are now engaging the enemy in combat.

Unlike past wars, the technology of today places 24 hour a day news coverage on television sets aboard ships at sea, in combat support areas and even on satellite screens in the desert of Iraq. Pictures of anti-war protests being played over and over again by major news organizations can have a very demoralizing effect on men and women in the field.

The demonstrations aired by most media outlets also fail to truly identify the protesters. The key protest organizer has been the World Workers Party, which is a communist leadership group providing most of the manpower and funding.

The group credited with most organizing is called International A.N.S.W.E.R., which stands for "Act Now to Stop War and End Racism."

According to Accuracy in Media, they are the same organization, using two names to make it appear there is greater support for their cause.

Added to this base group are the far left Democrats who are really just continuing their hate Bush campaign. There is also a strong contingent of anarchists, anti-Zionists, pro-Palestine supporters and Arab-Muslim groups.

Another San Francisco veteran, former Marine Sergeant Bob Stanley says, "Not one of these protesters has the intelligence or fortitude to run their own lives, let alone question our elected government. They are here protesting only because they can and because our national beliefs and doctrines allow it."

Dick Conant is the Past National Commander of the Atomic Veterans Association. He is also a disabled veteran who says he has a "thing" about war ? because he has been there. "But, I also have a bad feeling about protesters, especially celebrities, who use their stature to condemn and not support the country that gives them that privilege. Jane Fonda during Vietnam, Sean Penn and others currently. If they do not support the USA then let them give up their citizenship and move to Iraq or some other place that they do support."

Retired Air Force Master Sergeant John Clayton of Airway Heights, Washington, is another Vietnam combat veteran and hates seeing these protests. "I too have seen the ugly side of war", he says, "but I stand by our President and I support our troops. I have no respect for the anti-war protesters or those who join their band wagon and allow the majority to do all the dirty work while they whine and hide like cowards."

Retired Marine Reserve Colonel James Godbold of Tomball, Texas, reflects, "I left my home to fight in two wars and I still despise USA citizens who desecrate our flag."

"Celebrities who condemn the president and this nation overrate their popularity and influence. Mine is a silent protest of their actions. I never watch, listen, or spend a dime that will benefit them in any manner."

"Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks and Tom Daschle seem to be in harmony as a duo act", says Harry Riley, a retired Army Colonel and Administrator for the Class Act military retirees medical law suit litigation being conducted from Florida. "They reflect another ignorant entertainer and politician stomping on the graves and in the blood of those who paid and are paying the price for them to spew their stupid remarks", he concludes.

Charles Henderson is a well-known author and a retired Marine Chief Warrant Officer who lives in Peyton, Colorado.

He has strong feelings about protests taking place around the country. "I strongly believe that it is the duty of every man and woman who calls the United States of America home to serve this country at some point in their lives. It is a moral obligation for every person, rich or poor ? And paying taxes, or donating old clothes down at the shelter does not count. What counts is service that is consistent with Jefferson's commitment: Life, fortune, Sacred Honor. Put that at risk at some point in life, and then I'll listen to a guy."

"After you have fulfilled your duty to this country, then you have the right to protest or to champion a war. Thus to me, the Hollywood war protesters as well as the power-tie-wearing yuppie champions of the cause are all in the same boat ? just a bunch of hypocrites with no backbone. Their words ring empty."

Finally, a message from my friend and former combat correspondent, Joe Galloway: those of us who know him would agree Joe is today's version of [WWII's] Ernie Pyle. Many of you should be familiar with him from his book, "We Were Soldiers Once, And Young" (made into a movie last year starring Mel Gibson).

Joe reminds everyone that the time for talking has ended. He speaks of our young men and women, saying, "They go, or should go, with our heartfelt prayers for their safety. The time for debating the wisdom of the decision is over. The time for demonstrating in the streets of our cities is over, too."

"Now the word is: Hate war but love the warriors. Win, lose or draw, remember that formulation. Our country failed to get it with Vietnam. The young soldiers we drafted and sent to fight that war came home to find that they were hated by many who hated the war they had been ordered to fight. They came home to a country which had turned its back on the war and warrior alike."

These are the words of the most "anti-war" people on the face of the planet. They hate war, because they know the horror it brings to everyone within its reach. These are the men who answered the call of their country time and time again. Even today, they still stand tall when their country is in need ? And you never find them in the ranks of anti-war or celebrity protesters.

Copyright ? 2001, 2002, 2003 by Thomas D. Segel & America's Voices, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tom Segel is a former combat correspondent and Master Gunnery Sergeant, USMC (Retired), who holds eight personal decorations for valor and meritorious service, along with the Thomas Jefferson Award for Journalistic Excellence, six Armed Forces Writers League awards for Outstanding Achievement and the title of Military Journalist of the Year. Nationally published in both print and online media, his conservative writings are distributed by the Paragon Foundation News Service, and he now writes the "Shot Across the Bow" column for America's Voices. The author of several books, his Men in Space, published by Paladin Press, was selected for both the national high school and junior high school library lists. Mr. Segel resides in Harlingen, Texas with his wife, Pattie. You can e-mail Tom at tsegel@americasvoices.org.