Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool A Soldier's Perspective On Christmas in Iraq

A Soldier's Perspective
On Christmas in Iraq
By U.S. Army Sgt. Robert Woodward / 40th Public Affairs Detachment

Today is Christmas. It is a strange time of year for me, and I think for many soldiers here in Iraq, because all the decorations, feasting and holiday music, while wonderful, draw our attention to what?s missing in our lives. Our families. Our neighborhoods. Our country.

War in a strange land can make you appreciate home much more than you ever thought possible. So on the surface I was jubilant. Underneath I was homesick. To distract myself from what I was missing, I focused instead on work, which brought me into contact with an Iraqi man, Hamid, who lives in Mosul.

When our business was nearly concluded, Hamid asked, ?How do you feel about being in Iraq on this day??

The frankness of the question stunned me, and I struggled past my emotions. Once I started to speak, the words seemed to ow from a place deep inside me.

?Of course I miss my family,? I said, ?but the spirit of Christmas is one of giving. I joined the Army to give of myself to serve the cause of freedom. By being here I am not only serving the cause of freedom for Americans, but also for Iraqis. So I am happy to be here today.?

Hamid stood before me speechless. Did I see something twinkle in his eyes?

At that moment, I felt as though we were brothers. Soon we parted. I went to my work area in the division headquarters, and he went to his in downtown Mosul, perhaps never to meet again.

Now, upon reection, I realize that I did spend Christmas with my family. I was here with my Screaming Eagle brothers and sisters.

I was here with them serving our long lost Iraqi brothers and sisters, who for the rst time in generations, perhaps ever, can choose what they will believe. We are helping to change Iraq and the Middle East.

We are helping to change the things here that lead to terrorism ? the ignorance, the poverty, the fear.

And Iraq has changed me, too, for how can I live without serving humanity? How can I return to America and live for materialism, for self-satisfaction?

I think Iraq has changed many soldiers, and I think that we will take back to America the kind of seless service that one can only acquire in war. They are leaders who will make a difference in the world of tomorrow.

Yes, I am happy to be in Iraq today, and honored to be counted in the number of my fellow American soldiers who served.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articl...3/a122603a.html

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links