The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Exclamation Video Shows U.S. Navy Crewman Getting Sucked into A-6 Intruder Engine

Video Shows U.S. Navy Crewman Getting Sucked into A-6 Intruder Engine
By: Dario Leone - National Interest - 8-10-19
RE: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...r-engine-72556

Note: He survived (read below & watch the video)

Taken on Feb. 20, 1991 during Operation Desert Storm aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), the scary video in this post shows Petty Officer JD Bridges getting sucked into a jet engine of an A-6 Intruder.

Incredibly, Bridget, then 21 years old, managed to survive.

Daniel P Streckfuss, another officer who was with Bridget at the time, explained how his colleague was able to survive.

“I was attached to VFA-15 on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt during that deployment in 1991

“What allowed him to survive was the design of the A-6 engine (the J-52). It has a long protruding ‘bullet’ or cone that extends in front of the first stage fans.

“When he was sucked in, his arm extended above his head which caused his body to wedge between the bullet and inside wall of the intake.”

He also added: “Lucky for him, his helmet and coat were sucked in first which prompted the pilot to cut the throttle.

“It took almost three minutes for him to push his way out of the intake after being sucked in.

“Needless to say, I don’t think he was seen on the flight deck for the rest of the cruise.”

According Daily Mail, the video has been widely used around the world in the years since it was filmed, often by television shows showcasing the amazing survival.

Serving throughout the Vietnam War, the A-6 continued as the Navy’s front line medium-attack aircraft through Operation Desert Storm, during which Navy and Marine Corps A-6 slogged more than 4,700 combat sorties. They were not retired until 1997.

From the beginning Intruders featured Digital Integrated Attack Navigation Equipment (DIANE), which provided an electronic display of targets and geographical features even in low visibility conditions. Introduced on the A-6E version of the aircraft, the Target Recognition Attack Multisensors (TRAM) system combined Forward Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR) and laser sensors with an onboard computer. Located in a ball turret beneath the nose of the aircraft, TRAM enabled a higher degree of bombing accuracy by locating targets and ascertaining their ranges, allowing the A-6 crew to detect ground undulations as small as a plowed field.

The Intruder served as the aircraft carrier’s “big stick” in combat over Lebanon, Libya and Iraq. During Operation Desert Storm, Navy and Marine Corps A-6s logged more than 4,700 combat sorties, providing close air support, destroying enemy air defenses, attacking Iraqi naval units and hitting strategic targets. All told, 687 A-6s were delivered to the Navy, the last being retired from front line service in 1997

Video - https://youtu.be/v2v1Pgpzp88

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note:

JD - God was watching over you.

Personal: I recall seeing a deckhand walk right into a prop of an E-2 Hawkeye aircraft - nicknamed a "Willy Fudd" on the Bon Homme Richard CVA-31 in the mid 60's. I was walking over to the #2 elevator catwalk to go to our JOE locker (for coffee) when I heard a loud noise on the ships PA system. I turned around to see what was happening and I and saw this guy walk into a idling twin engine prop aircraft we called our FUD. What just happened to him too terrible to conceive. But his body parts blew back aft and were sucked into some F-8's that were running at that time and they in turn sucked up some of the body parts into their intakes - and in turn discharged burnt flesh out their exhaust which was then sucked up by the below deck fresh-air fan intakes feeding the ships boiler rooms. Even there they new something terrible had just happened topside. One man down - plus three aircraft down - and now corpsmen were retrieving the lost crewman's remains. A day that many of us on the fight deck can't forget!

Note: Flat-top sailors get hazardous duty pay (big deal) but loosing a crew-mate is very hard to live with. That video brought back that day in a flash.

Fortunately this recent crewman survived "God Willing" by the fast action of his crew and the pilot all saved this man's life. It wasn't his time thank God! Tough learning curve to remember all your remaining days.

During my time on the carrier we also had personal blown over the side from jet exhaust on the flight deck (not often - but it happens). You learn to never walk behind a jet - if it's running (all that noise topside on the flight deck) - one mistake and you can be blown overboard in a heart beat.

On a carrier flight deck the noise is almost unbearable - really loud even with your headgear & ear guards - but you still can't tell which aircraft are running and which ones are not? Our aircraft were A-3D's, A-4D's, F8's and A1-E (SPAD's) reciprocating aircraft, and the Twin Engine E2-Hawkeye Radar reciprocating aircraft - plus Recovery Helo's.

I taught myself to always walked under the nose of any aircraft never in front of it's intakes - at any time - even if it's parked and tied down. Note: They sometimes test the aircraft engines when you least expect it. You can not believe the noise on a flight deck when aircraft are warming up, launching or during recovery.

Carrier aircraft can launch at any time - day or night - 24/7 - if they have too. When we have no flight ops - we still have what's called the "Bear Cats" on flight deck armed ready to launch for carrier security.

Another issue is that: It can get very scary when you have rough weather (day or night) and the high winds and huge waves are crashing over the bow (yes even on a carrier).

Sea Water is so powerful it can rip off welded steel catwalks or even wash you overboard. I've seen it happen. I was on leave when one of our V-4 guys got washed overboard one night - they never found him. Going over the side at night is the worst - plus the 40-50' fall may knock you out on impact and the ships draft could pull you into the props.

The below deckhands would hear the storm waves beating against the sides and steel hull and they knew we were in rough weather. As my Navy Brother's know we work 24/7 in some of the worst weather conditions - but never shucked any of our duties regardless of the potential's hazards involved.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links