Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Gulf War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Gulf War Illness Research Urged

AP

Parting company with the findings of a Clinton administration panel on Gulf War illnesses, a new study concludes more must be learned about the effects of toxic substances on those who fought there.

The Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Illness urges that up to $60 million be spent over the next four years to monitor and research the health of Gulf War veterans and their children.

In so doing, the panel distanced itself from the earlier body attributed a series of mysterious ailments to stress under conditions of warfare. Scientists are coming close to finding a treatment, the panel said in its report, but it also said researchers need substantially more government financial assistance.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report in advance of its expected release Friday by Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony Principi.

The review committee that Principi formed concluded that "the goal of understanding and treating Gulf War veterans' illnesses is within reach" because of recent research breakthroughs.

But federal research is falling short in large part because studies have not asked important questions and continue to focus on stress to explain the veterans' problems.

"Additional progress in addressing Gulf War veterans' illnesses is not likely to come from a haphazard mix of studies," the panel said.

Department officials declined comment before the review was made public.

Hundreds of thousands of veterans of the 1991 Gulf War have experienced undiagnosed illnesses they believe are linked to the war, according to Congress' auditing arm. These ailments include chronic fatigue, loss of muscle control, diarrhea, migraines, dizziness, memory problems and loss of balance.

Principi's panel found that more recent studies suggest the veterans' illnesses are neurological and apparently are linked to exposure to neurotoxins such as the nerve gas sarin, the anti-nerve gas drug pyridostigmine bromide and pesticides that affect the nervous system.

"Research studies conducted since the war have consistently indicated that psychiatric illness, combat experience or other deployment-related stressors do not explain Gulf War veterans illnesses in the large majority of ill veterans," the review committee said.

The Pentagon has estimated that about 100,000 soldiers were exposed to nerve gas when Iraqi weapons caches were destroyed, although congressional auditors have questioned the Defense Department's estimates. The Pentagon also has said some soldiers may have been overexposed to pesticides.

The committee said the VA should allocate $15 million in each of the next four years for a Gulf War illness research program.

Principi had announced in 2002 that $20 million would be available for research this year. But during the summer, the panel found that little of that had been spent and some of what was went to studies investigating stress-related causes.

Recent research "makes it a very reasonable possibility that this Gulf War illness is not attributable simply to stress of troops that were deployed," said Paul Greengard, who won the Nobel Prize for work discovering the brain mechanisms involved in Parkinson's disease, a nerve disorder.

Greengard is the founder of Intracellular Therapies, which looks for treatments for central nervous system disorders. He said the company recently began investigating how nerve agents damage the brain.

Greengard has done preliminary work funded by the Army that would apply the research methods he used to investigate Parkinson's to study Gulf War illnesses.

"I think any reasonable person can no longer exclude the possibility that our military personnel deployed in Gulf War I were exposed to toxic chemicals that have produced this very high incidence of illnesses," Greengard said.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Is this chemical a neurotoxin?

2-butoxyethanol is a poison, a solvent and a pesticide. Would it be in the same group as neurotoxins?

If not, they should consider study of this, too (Of course I gave that input before the 10/25 panel met)

It can cause otherthings like 'shortness of breath' and infertility ... and ...

Dick Cheney's "Shortness of Breath?"
What about Vice President Dick Cheney?s ?Shortness of Breath? that is not from heart or pulmonary effects? Shortness of breath is one of the signs of hemolytic anemia www.valdezlink.com/check.htm

So, if it is not being caused by the heart or pulmonary system ....
Could it be hemolytic anemia from a chemical such as I study ... that doesn't show up in the blood counts as doctors expect it to?

2-butoxyethanol is in a lot of things & even the public is at risk for harm. More info on the signs of hemolytic anemia

Hmm....

WM Rehnquist? thyroid tumor can be part of 2-butoxyethanol harm

Ashcroft? pancreatitis and gall bladder problems
can be part of 2-butoxyethanol harm

So is child leukemia

http://www.valdezlink.com/rr_thyroid...s_leukemia.htm

So is infertility - especially for men. One vet asked me if infertility could be caused from the gas used in training.

My reply to this vet:
What kind of gas? What system of putting gas into a chamber was used?

I don't know about that; however, 2-butoxyethanol is in lots of spary systems ... in jet fuel???

It harms the testes & has been known to cause infertility

www.valdezlink.com/health_survey_for_doctor.htm

Have you had any urinalysis that show even trace blood?

Do you have FATIGUE? Do you remember when it hit?
What were you doing then?

www.valdezlink.com/generic.htm#research

Margaret

His reply: "Can this gas cause infertility???
The gas that was used is CS gas or
orto-chlorobenzylidene- malononitrile

Please let me know, thanks?"
Quote:
I put this in the search engine: orto-chlorobenzylidene- malononitrile,msds

found: http://www.tscm.com/advchemw2.pdf

It's 132 pages ... I'll look through it

... the skin and eyes. * Breathing Malononitrile can irritate the nose and throat. * Breathing Malononitrile may irritate the lungs causing ...
http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rtkweb/1153.pdf CAS No 109-77-3
6 pages
Says several related compounds cause reproductive damage

The answer to your question appears to be, "yes" though indirectly addressed

... and eyes. * Breathing o-Chlorobenzylidene Malononitrile can irritate the nose and throat. * Breathing o-Chlorobenzylidene Malononitrile can irritate the lungs causing ...
http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rtkweb/1423.pdf
Says they do not know about reproductive harm.

THE chemical you are looking for
CAS No 2698-41-1
You can take this CAS # & get more info on www.chemfinder.com

Do you remember such a time? Did you get sick then? Were you the only one, or did the whole group have the same experience? Can you contact two of the others in your group & ask if they have become sterile? You may have medical information that the military and scientists need.

An e-mail request to the CDC

on Flu Symptoms

Traces of blood in urine? *

Diarrhea then Constipation?

Seizures Fainting Dizziness *

Old 11-15-2004, 11:43 AM

here is a link to the report by the research advisory committee on Gulf War veteran's Illnesses that is the basis for the $60 million David is talking about. be forewarned its along read but well worth it

http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/page.cfm?pg=35

Sorry Dear Maggie, but none of the funds will be diverted to research of the effects of 2-butoxyenthonal :re:

Hawk :cl:
I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should
do, By the grace of God, I will do. -Edward Everett Hale
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Ok, I figured

Thanks for the info; of course, you know I believe it needs studying most of all.

I received an e-mail from a doctor today:
Quote:
I am impressed with your knowledge on this issue. What do you think will happen when more of the current Gulf War II vets return? Similar Sx's? I am a retired Navy doc who developed arthritis post serving in the first Gulf War.
My reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your comments.

I am just spending a lot of time on this, that's all.

Anyway, arthritis is part of what happens with this chemical, also.

I know of 5-6 of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup workers that have very serious arthritis.

These are the right comparison group for other groups. They should look alike in the blood ... the fatigue doctors haven't found with CFIDS, gulf war syndrome, etc.

Yes, it should happen again with our current soldiers. but I believe it has been ongoing for over half a century.

Margaret

www.valdezlink.com/why_fatigue.htm

www.valdezlink.com/gwv_why_fatigue.htm

AND the Best Research I Found

http://www.valdezlink.com/2-bmsds03.htm

& there is extra info that doctors can pull up for free ...
with more explanation ...

that I don't have access to

Margaret

Maybe you can all ask your doctors to look over this info with your and your children in mind....

Some other thoughts:

I wonder how many soldiers have become sterile and never had children or have had concerns about birth defects? www.valdezlink.com/gwv_symptoms.htm#child
That is TOO high a PRICE to PAY!

No one should ever suffer such harm by serving their country one day or taking a job. It's the responsible, hard-working American who is generally risking so much. It's not right. It's not fair ... and I'm going to keep on with this battle no matter what.

on Flu Symptoms

Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 AM

I think the main thing about this topic is for Gulf War vets to read this report, its encouraging that finally the VA is looking beyound stress for possible causes. here is the link again

http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/page.cfm?pg=35
Old 11-17-2004, 04:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

There is a good book out ..I want to say it is "Vaccine A"...I read quite a bit of it at Bookstar a few weeks ago..anyway..the idea was that a large number of soldiers, who subsequently were sent to Gulf War 1, were intentionally vaccinated with a test vaccine..wish I could remember more of the substance...the author had all the facts and figures..with the DOD's previous reputation for this kind of thing, it is certainly plausible.. The test vaccine caused all sorts of bad things to happen to the soldiers that received it.

Larry
Old 11-18-2004, 08:16 AM

Mortor dude I will have to look for the book, do you remember what book store it was in?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Ask Congress why

You say, Hawk, that no funds will be diverted to study of 2-butoxyethanol?

Similar Thread

Quote:
From the NZEPMU printers? seminar 1998, on solvent neurotoxicity: 50% of solvent neurotoxicity comes from the printing industy. From Prof Bill Glass?s introduction: solvents cause abortions and affect sperm. www.valdezlink.com/solvent_studies.htm#who
OK, and since the butyl ethers ... ethylene glycol monobutyl ether is also considered a neurotoxin, they should be studying that, too

I'm still waiting to find out what the Dept of Defense considered the sources of exposure to this chemical. I can probably think of a few more; but why was this chemical on the list of solvents and pesticides the gulf war troops were exposed to?

Ask YOUR US Senators & US Representative

This chemical causes Central Nervous System damage, too, and should not be ignored any longer. I don't believe the fatigue it causes is 'all in your head'

There is an autoimmune hemolytic anemia that goes undiagnosed until it becomes extremely serious. One that is caused from 2-butoxyethanol overexposure. Besides Central Nervous System damage and damage to any of the glands, liver & kidneys is possible.

Why don't doctors usually find the Fatigue?

Here's a 1975 example of acquired autoimmune hemolytic anemia

on Flu Symptoms

Old 11-30-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Suspect this neurotoxin

... to reiterate & share more info ....

I have shared the following with Dr. Robert Haley:
Quote:
From the NZEPMU printers? seminar 1998, on solvent neurotoxicity: 50% of solvent neurotoxicity comes from the printing industy. From Prof Bill Glass?s introduction: solvents cause abortions and affect sperm. www.valdezlink.com/solvent_studies.htm@#who
Such as 2-butoxyethanol www.valdezlink.com/same.htm
Synonymns for 2-butoxyethanol:

Butyl Cellosolve
Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether
Butyl glycol
2-butoxethanol
DOWANOL?EB

And don't forget how serious the use of diethylene glycol monobutyl ether is.

And it looks like it needs to be studied

other symptoms of this chemicals harm:

So are brain tumors? Some of my theories ...

If a doctor is interested in what patterns to look for with 2-butoxyethanol:

This is the best research I have found.

There is a way to get into their system for detailed MSDS info

in UK & in the USA, too

www.valdezlink.com/hb_2-B_causes.htm

www.valdezlink.com/organs_affected.htm

www.valdezlink.com/acute.htm

DEET is not a good 'match' nor are organophosphates www.valdezlink.com/chad4.htm

EXCEPT that the FATIGUE is an identifiable type of red blood cell damage. 2-butoxyethanol causes hemolytic anemia. It would underlie all other symptoms. It would be the common denominator

Intro to why I studied 2-butoxyethanol
... & what we can learn to help ourselves and our family & military from 'THE FATIGUE'

There is an autoimmune hemolytic anemia that goes undiagnosed until it becomes extremely serious. One that is caused from 2-butoxyethanol overexposure. Also Central Nervous System damage and damage to any of the glands, liver & kidneys is possible.

M. Diann Hursh
PO Box 233, Valdez, AK 99686 907-835-5333
mother_margaret@yahoo.com

What I learned from the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup ... & Why!
?Were you actually at the Valdez spill?? Someone asked.

Why don't doctors usually find the Fatigue?

Here's a 1975 example of acquired autoimmune hemolytic anemia

That should start right away & last, regardless of the symptoms piled on top of it. That's my theory ... and it is provable. Track the retic rate and red blood counts over time. Are your red blood cells immature? Have you had trace blood in urine? These should be the 'clues' This is the fatigue that shows up differently than doctors expect. (Not in hemoglobin or hematocrit until a LONG time later) Too many immature red blood cells and other tests are off, like liver, for example.

on Flu Symptoms

Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
DEET is not a good 'match' nor are organophosphates

http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/199...ler-report.htm

http://members.cox.net/linarison/gws.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...fwar101999.htm

http://www.gulfweb.org/bigdoc/hsr105-388.cfm

http://www.gulfweb.org/bigdoc/hsr105-388.cfm

Military troops and civilians were exposed to many substances during the Gulf War. The known exposures include chemical and biological weapons, depleted uranium, experimental drugs and vaccines, environmental toxins, and endemic infectious diseases. The kinds of toxic substances that people were exposed to include:
Biological agents:

Anthrax
Brucellosis
Possible viral or DNA-altered organisms
Chemical and biological weapons:

Nerve agents: Sarin, Soman,
Tabun Blister Agents: Mustard Gas, Lewisite
Experimental Drugs And Vaccines:

Pyridostigmine Bromide
Botulinum Toxoid Vaccine
Anthrax Vaccine
Depleted Uranium (DU):

Dust from DU
Environmental Exposures:

Diesel fuel
Diesel fumes
Pesticides/insecticides
Chemical agent resistant coating (CARC)
Paint
DEET
Other factors:

Leishmaniasis
Brucellosis
Cholera
Biological agents, chemical and biological weapons, experimental drugs and vaccines:

Military personnel were given Pyridostigmine Bromide (PB) in the form of small white pills in blister packets. It was used as a nerve agent pre-treatment drug. Pre-treatment with PB is only effective in relation to exposure to Soman; it actually increases adverse effects to exposures to Sarin . Anthrax Vaccine was administered to approximately 150,000 troops in the Gulf region. Botulinum Toxoid Vaccine was given to provide protection against botulism to approximately 1% of the troops in the Gulf region.

Depleted Uranium (DU):

This highly toxic radioactive by-product of uranium enrichment process was used in munitions for its ability to ignite in air and on impact, unfortunately it leaves uranium dust in the air. Inhaling DU dust can cause kidney problems, cancers, neurological problems and reproductive problems.

Environmental exposures, other factors:

Environmental exposures include gases containing nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, organic carbon, and metal particulates from the oil well fires. There were diesel fuel fumes from stoves used inside of tents and sprayed diesel fuel was used to reduce dust. Another unexpected toxological effect took place when topical use of DEET and exposure to insecticides occurred while ingesting Pyridostigmine Bromide pills. From a recent study it is believed that the interaction of PB pills taken during topical use of DEET and/or exposure to various insecticide sprays can lead to a greater toxological effect ten times greater than when used individually. Those who took PB pills and used DEET concomitantly may suffer toxic reactions http://www.lyghtforce.com/Homeopathy...chie_gulf.html

http://www.disasternews.net/news/news.php? articleid=1688#more

Dr. Haley and colleagues not only defined three distinct syndromes of organic nerve damage among veterans of the Persian Gulf War, they have also produced convincing evidence that these syndromes occurred in some measure as a result of low-level chemical exposures to nerve gas agents, PB pills , and insect repellants.

thanks for the laughs maggie but I really think you are wrong on this one
Quote:
DEET is not a good 'match' nor are organophosphates
but then again thats what trying to muddy the waters with disinformation is all about isnt it. to keep the real causes of GWI from being discovered but this pot has been boiling over for a long time and Dr, Haley's report has finally blown the lid off the disinformation

Hawk :cl: