The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default slum

A 308 round to a 120lb fram person make that person jump up in the air . A 50 cal cut them in half.
Why do guard bunker people find it hard to pull the trigger at knight on something in front of there possition?

I had a guy come and wake me up one time, (he was on Guard) and tell me he seen something moving out front of his possition, What the hell guy, Get everyone up call BN , call mortars and get three tubes 5 rounds each HE and open up with the 60 to keep who ever it is down until mortars sends them an greeting card. And next time don't wake me unless its important.
Ron

(ps) Im sure we woke the LT somewhere in there.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Six out of seven days; four hours day time, four hours night time. with the down-time possibility of up to eight hours between your guard shifts. While in the tower or bunker you reported anything out of the ordinary and waited for the SOG, Sargent of the Guard, to tell you how to react. You DID NOT fire your weapon without the permission of the SOG and if you had the SOG's approval to fire you were to report to the COG, Commander of the Guard the following day with a written report of your actions and a listing of how much ordnance was used. SOG got an ACM, Army Commendation Medal or a Bronze Star. If he just got an ACM, you probably got extra duty if not an Arty. 15 but you were safe if he got the Star.
FTA
Old 04-12-2006, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron

In the base camps I think it was the firing first without permission thing, like stick says. There happened to be a warrent officer by our bunker that night and before I pulled the trigger as stupid as it sounds, I asked permission to fire. Then every body opened up including the W officer with a grenade launcher. I suppose thats why the other bunker called us on the feild phone instead of firing. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE???? By the way, they took our flares away. Must of thought we were using too many. If we needed ilumination we were suposed to call arty but I don't think the feild phones worked with them.??
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default a bunker guard story I heard

From a guy in my platoon at FT Brag after Nam. I don't remember who he was but he was on guard somewhere with a 60 at night and saw 6 figures walking toward his bunker from the wire. He called on a feild phone for permission to fire but was told not to shoot. They got closer and he called again and they said no. Finally, they were almost on top of him so he shot them all down. Six VC what a stupid war.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Permission

What the hell. I never thought about asking anyone if I could pull the trigger on some Gook. Even if they told me I had to ask first I most likely wouldn't have. What are they going to do to me, Send----------, You know the rest.
Permission, That has to be the dumbest thing . what happens if you get a big attack, Hold it NVA/VC, Hello, BN there are some nasty little bastards running at me from outside the wire shooting there guns and throwing gernades, Is it ok if I continue to live and defend myself, Could you get back to me as soon as possible.
They kinda forgot to tell us about that asking permission thing at Guard duty orentation 101, I just can't see how that would ever be a good idea.

Ron
Old 04-13-2006, 04:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well, there was the time I almost gunned down 12 of our own comming through the wire at Phu Tie. I had been in country 5 or so days and was in a gun tower by myself. I have no idea why they were there.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Robert J Ryan

Yup Ron what are you gonna do shave my head and send me to Vietnam.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Splum

You shouldn't have been in a gun tower. anytime we went out at night or wouldn't be back until after dark, Everyone in the camp knew we were out there, If someone failed to tell the guard post that friendlies were in front of there possition then the shit should hit the fan all over that base until everyone knows that a unit is out in front of them. Being in a gun tower and you seen someone out in front of you and you didn't shot , you shouldn't have been in the tower.

Ron
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron

I agree with you on that. It was about 2:am they were closer to the second tower than to me but I figured the other guy was asleep and they were walking right through the wire. I couldn't get the phone to work to find out if someone was supposed to be out there. I had the saftey off on the 60 and was just to pull the trigger when I stopped because I thought they looked kind of big for Vietnamise. I started thinking they were americans and maybe thats why the other guy didn't shoot.I spent the rest of the night not being sure of what I had just done. They were from the signal unit in the compound with us. I figure they may have just been out for a good time in the villiage that night??? I'm glad now that I didn't shoot them down then, [or me afterwards] shouldn't put a new guy out by himself on any kind of guard. Phu Tie was a pretty secure small villiage base camp near Quin Ohn.

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Slum

You should have fired off a burst, maybe at second guard tower.

Sleeping on guard duty?.

a short burst in the air over the returning party would have straightend out a hole bunch of bad SOPs.

A returning patrol/ambush notifies someone ( normally BN) that they are 1/2 click out and then again at the perimiter, and then BN notifies the guard towers. You don't just walk into a perimiter.

Sleeping on guard, crossing a primiter with out permission,

What kind of outfit was this you were guarding

Ron