The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Stuff happens..

Maybe the USS COLE taught us something, never again let any type of ship, boat, floating sand hopper get to figgen close to a US Ship!

U.S. Navy Admits Ship In Suez Canal Killed An Egyptian

CAIRO: The U.S. Navy acknowledged Wednesday, and expressed regret, that an Egyptian citizen was killed when a ship working under contract for the navy fired warning shots at an approaching motorboat in the Suez Canal.

The Global Patriot, a civilian ship working for the navy,entered the Suez Canal on Monday and was approached at about 8 p.m. by small motorboats that try to sell goods to ships passing through. Sailors on the Global Patriot fired shots at the boats after issuing warnings to steer clear.

Egypt said that Mohammed Fouad was killed by bullets fired from the ship and was buried Tuesday.

"We express our deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased," Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgriff, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet, said in a statement issued to the media. "We are greatly saddened by events that apparently resulted in this accidental death. This situation is tragic and we will do our utmost to help take care of the family of the deceased."

Cosgriff added that an investigation was under way to determine what had happened.

Officials on the Global Patriot said Tuesday that all the shots it had fired had been accounted for and that there had been no casualties.

Fouad's family buried him Tuesday amid recriminations against the U.S. military and the Egyptian government.

A spokeswoman for the 5th Fleet, Commander Lydia Robertson, said: "We're concerned about doing the right thing and helping to take care of the family. We will work with an advocate, we will coordinate through the right
authorities and through the embassy."

The U.S. Navy has been wary of small boats approaching its warships since 2000, when Al Qaeda operatives killed 17 sailors on the Cole in Yemen, using a motorboat packed with explosives.

Robertson said the same rules of engagement as warships applied for ships under navy contract.

The merchants who ply the canal selling cigarettes and other products to passing ships normally know not to approach military vessels, said the victims brother, Abdallah. But he said that the Global Patriot had looked
like a civilian ship.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 AM

SparrowHawk - I have to agree. The Cole incident was hard a learning curve. This shit won't happen any more. Can't blame them - If I was on watch and put under the same circumstances I think I would have done the same thing. Fool me one - shame on me - fool me twice - shame on you. That attitude taking the first slap the face is getting old.

If you are on watch you have to protect yourself and your shipmates at all times. If not incidents like the Cole and others will result. We used to have habit of taking the first punch - I think that is a bunch of crap. I grew up in the streets and that just doesn't happen without some very sad results and stiches.

I'm not a nice guy (maybe when I was 6 months old) but growing up in the streets changes your outlook on many things. This is why the two fashions in Iraq can't get along. They have many differences between these two sec's and this have been engrained for over a 1000 years.

The Jewish issue is the same - you can turn that cheek only so many times before you end becoming like those who would harm you. It's either that or an early earth nap. You have to get tough to protect your best interest and those of your fellows or its an early demise for sure.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote