The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

Any decent hardware store carries plumber's pig lead in 5-pound ingots. Price is very reasonable.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wheel weights. They're about 95% lead with trace amounts of tin and zinc. Any impurities will float to the surface of the molten lead and can be skimmed off.

Most tire places re-use their weights, but will get rid of the broken or deformed weights.

I have been casting bullets for modern guns and for muzzle loaders for many years. If you decide to go that route I'll be happy to be "virtually" available to help you get started!

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Griz see ya saturday Morning if you don't make it on time hunt close go to the end of the blacktop then drive to the top at the gravel pit on top go thru it and stay on it we'll be on the the D-line between the 1600 spur and 1300 spur just past the new logging show going on. nice clearcuts lots of deer CB channel 2 see ya
Old 10-16-2004, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Being a rev war re-enactor, I've got a bumper sticker that says, "It takes lead balls to shoot a muzzleloader!"
Old 10-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Doc.2/47

I 'preciate the feedback about the lead.
Yeah,I believe I'll go ahead and get the mould.Thanks,Steve,I may have to get back to you for some info. at some point.
Many years ago I did a little mouldin to produce balls for a .44cal. Rem. repo.,but about that time a good veriety of balls became avaliable in the stores at reasonable prices.Now that that's changed it looks like I need to go back to it.Seems to me that I remember some folks who claimed that wheel wts. were an alloy that produced balls that were a little too hard to catch the riflin well in some rifles.Do any of y'all know if there's any truth to that?

Have had that least a little sucess in converting fishing wts. into ML projectiles.Had a .45cal. that shot good groups useing somewhat fiddled with worm wts. and the right barrel of a 10Ga. ML I have shoots 1.5 oz. barrel wts. pretty well.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

It is POSSIBLE, I suppose, that wheel weight metal could be so hard as to cause difficulties. I can't see a problem with using it as patched balls, or hollow-base bullets, but with a MAXI type projectile, where the bullet engages the rifling at loading, or where the base needs to upset to engage the rifling, it could be a problem.

I'd use softer lead if possible.

It's been a while since I've bought any black powder or muzzle loading bullets. I knew that powder has sky-rocketed in price, but the last time I bought round balls, Speer had swaged round balls for around $6.95 per hundred.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bow =0 Deer =4

Well I have been bow hunting in south Georgia and didn't get one, I let two bucks walk because they were to small. Our hunting lease is in Macon county which is a Quality Deer Management county, they have to be 15" outside spread and 8 points before you can shoot them. I took a shot at one doe at 40 yards and just missed low. Had one doe cross to my right at about 20 yards but was walking fast and I did not get a shot off. Oh well it is only 9 more days until I leave for Elk and Mule deer hunting in Colorado.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:16 PM

Distinctions

Chris 1 deer 0 got my Deer this moring at sunup, seen this spike last evening but by the time I was sure it was a legle Deer it was gone found out my cousin and brother all seen the same deer and didn't shoot because the horns were only 4 1/2 inchs long the same or just shorter then the ears and by the time we would glass it and decide to shoot it would be gone . well this morning it was skylined on top of a two yearold clearcut and the horns stood out real good so I popped him in the neck one shot one deer no meat loss. Not a throphy but the best eating around and now I can sleep in. I seen over twenty deer this weekend and 38 elk only 4 bucks and only got one shot. the Elk herd has seven bulls in the herd the only chance those elk have is to stay on that farmers field if they head for the timber company land it will be a masacur
Old 10-18-2004, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Wired moose

I'm having a hell of time trying to cut-and-paste this one so you'll just have to go to the website; and its got a "must-see" photo!

http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,...474424,00.html
Old 10-18-2004, 10:00 AM

Distinctions

Doc it will be hard for anyone to top that moose story I won't even try. It would have been a site to see though.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

okay okay I so want to go back to Indiana to deer hunt. I miss it and Its totally different here.. To hot..
somone need to shut one for me and bring it to me
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten