Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2004, 08:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: RON

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
James, BTW, I?d never think of telling anything but the truth, all those years of being on a witness stand are still with me. Yet, I always tried to sneak in a little humor if I could, seemed to win over the jury.

Andy
Andy!!
I would not ever imply that you would not tell the truth!! I hope you did not take it that way. There's few people who's word I'd take better for accuracy.
But you know as well as me that the truth wears many faces--that it can be said in many different ways, some contradictory.Don't tell me you didn't spend hours and hours planning out just how you were going to tell the truth--and which truth--in court, I know better.
I hope you don't think this advice is too out there, but I think you are in a very good position to put a powerful message across: I mean you got some CHOPS! You got soldier stories AND cop stories which is what America loves to hear the most.
You got a powerful story and it could be the vehicle you deliver a powerful message with. A great opportunity for you to deliver Your Message.
So what is Your Message, exactly, anyway? ? What IS the truth for you? this is what I meant by just go in and tell the truth, your truth. This would be YOur Message. I think in this kind of circumstances one is better off not even trying to exp-lain or refight the Vietnam War. Take the whole thing to a different level!! Put the fight up on a plane where youre a sure winner!
Even if I only had a 5 minute speech to make, I'd sure be spending 3 minutes of it saying that if there is anything I have learned in the 35 years since the war (for me) it is that returning veterans deserve need proper support in our society.
I wouldn't even explain that, just take it as a given, not defend it, just advocate it. I think you'd be the standout of any speechifying if you did that.
The returning veterans support thing is just mine, I'm not projecting it on you. If you have some other cause you want to endorse that would be the time. When you got the Bully Pulpit, act as if you own it!!
I think you are probably a pretty powerful speaker if you have the time to prepare. If there is anything I can do to support you in this, just ask
Old 04-18-2004, 02:22 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool James

I didn?t for a second think you were accusing me not telling the truth. Even if you did, you?d only be joining the ranks of about 200 lawyers. Guess I was just trying to make the point, been there, done that.

I wish I could give a mini-speech but that isn?t the format. We?ll be asked specific questions by the moderator which will not be submitted in advance. It?s basically, ?How did the war change you, how did it change the world around you??

My truth is, it was just like every other war. Some people fought, some didn?t. There was drug use in Vietnam and after, just like the Civil War. There were bad things that happened in Vietnam just like what happened in WWII. Most should be proud of doing a very difficult job, a few should hang their heads.

As far as vets being treated right - we troops were blamed for the war. No one can go back in time and make it better, sorry bout that. However, no one should have the slightest thought of under funding veterans now that we are at least middle aged.

How did the war change me? It sure as hell ended my youth but not as badly as it did for 58,000+ other Americans. An awful lot of hurtful things were said and done back then, no big deal, I built a bridge and got over it.

How did it change the world? It was the age of Nixon. The government was no longer trusted (going back to LBJ credibility gap) and if you were an appendage of the government you were not trusted. But it wasn?t that bad, besides the woman were a lot easier when I came home. Politics were seldom spoken in the bedroom.

Stay healthy, see you soon,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Andy

Been following this thread from the start and waiting for some type of miraculous brainstorm to overcome me so I could possibly come up with some ideas to help you out with this.Alas,naught but for cerebellum cramps and an occasional fart.

Hopefully,you`ll be able to overcome,first of all,your geographical handicap in taking on this challenge in my home state.This could be your most demanding and difficult aspect of all.

When Kati was in second grade her teacher invited me to speak to,and field questions from her class following their Veterans Day Assembly.What I learned from this experience was that there was absolutely NO WAY to prepare myself for the brutally honest queries presented me by 8 yr. old kids.I`m guessing here,but I doubt if you`ll get any tougher inquiries.You`ll do just fine,my friend.

See if you can find some second-graders for a trial run.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote