The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Directway satellite internet connection?

Been thinking of upgrading other than dial up but do not have DSL available in my neighborhood. My only option is to get a comcast cable hookup or a satellite hookup. I have Satellite TV now and really like it. When LT and I were in Wa. and visited Griz he had satellite internet. Griz you still like the satellite internet connection? Any one else have a satellite connection, good, bad or ugly?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Got dish TV and loose the signal whenever there's a storm in the area. Don't know how that would effect a 'puter. Could you loose stuff through cyber-air?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default From what I understand

The tv dish picks up one satellite and the internet dish picks up 3. I loose the signal in a real heavy rain but that has been daily here for the last several weeks.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:16 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

We have both Direcway & Directv. TV for 9 years. Computer for 1.

Yes, in some parts of the country it rains hard enough to lose the signal. If you already lose your TV signal, you already know about how bad it has to be to lose the satellite.

Speed is 1M all the time. It's not dependent on how many others are online in your neighborhood like cable.

No security concerns because the signal is encrypted to & from the dish.

We have a cable router connected to the modem that allows connection to 4 computers.

We frequently sit at our computers talking & reading news with TV as just backround noise.
Darrel
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Dish V. Cable

Sid,
No Satellite here, no problems with the weather either. We have a hook up for two TV?s and two computers. At one time we had dial up computers, what an amazing change. But getting addicted to the TV and computers is a down side. We get the History channel, International History channel, The Military channel, several Discovery channels, all 162 Red Sox games, 5 twenty-four hour news channels, etc. Couldn?t imagine being in the middle of something I?ve been waiting a month to see and suddenly the weather turns bad.
If you go with the dish, good luck. Maybe the new ones have improved some.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Cable is going to be faster then satellite 99% of the time with less downtime. There are different speeds of cable service available for different prices although occasionally cable speed will be determined somewhat by the number of users on your particular leg of the LAN if the system is overburdened.

Right now the phone and cable companies are kicking each others butts to get customers so cable is a lot cheaper then it used to be. If you do get cable make sure to get a little NAT router like the Linksys to keep your connection secure.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane

Yo David,
We had Sat. in Iraq. It was good until there was heavy cloud coverage, sand storms or other "odd" interference.

Dont know if that helps.

I got my laptop in Iraq to bounce off wireless router and loved it so much I did the same for the house. So now I use it all over the house, BUT...I had to do a secure thing because you can tell if you are unsecure who is also tagging your system. Damn near had the entire neighborhood on one day, so changed it quickly.

oh, edit here, when I said satellite, we had it for TV and internet.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I have tried but can't imagine internet and all that stuff in a war zone. It must be really weird to be so connected and yet so disconnected at the same time. Hope your healing well
Old 08-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Have satellite DIRECT TV [about an 18" dish] and DSL computer hook-up. I've had the satellite TV for about 2yrs., and DSL for beaucoup years. Like them both. I've had weather issues with the tv maybe twice.