The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2003, 02:24 PM

Thumbs up the Colonials across the Atlantic

(pardon if this has been posted already)

No matter what your views on President Bush's statement of upcoming war,
this, from an English journalist, is very interesting. Just a word of
background, for those of you who aren't familiar with the UK's Daily
Mirror. This is a notoriously left-wing newspaper that is normally not
supportive of the Colonials across the Atlantic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tony Parsons Daily Mirror

September 11, 2002 ONE year ago, the world
witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting ----the mass murder of thousands,
live on television. As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of the human race,
September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's mountain of skulls in Cambodia,
or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi concentration
camps.
An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so utterly merciless that
surely the world could agree on one thing - nobody deserves this fate.
Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the
perpetrators truly evil. But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is
increasingly seen as America's comeuppance.
Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year. There has
always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country - too loud,
too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but
it has become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to me. More than that,
it turns my stomach.
America is this country's greatest friend and our staunchest ally. We are
bonded to the US by culture, language and blood. A little over half a
century ago, around half a million Americans died for our freedoms, as
well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon? And exactly a year ago,
thousands of ordinary men, women and children -not just Americans, but
from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious
fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them? What touched the heart about
those who died in the twin towers and on the planes was that we recognized
them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's son and somebody's daughter,
husbands and wives, and children, some unborn. And these people brought it
on themselves? And their nation is to blame for their meticulously planned
slaughter? These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in
Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The
anti- American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the
Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering
from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it
likes without having to ask permission.
The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since
September 11.
Remember, remember. Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men
phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were burned
alive.Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning
skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive.
Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of
the planes with her mum.
Remember, remember - and realize that America has never retaliated for
9/11 in anything like the way it could have. So a few al-Qaeda tourists
got locked without a trial n Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex...
So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired
their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe
next time they should stick to confetti.
AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot.
That it didn't is a sign of strength. American voices are already being
raised against attacking Iraq - that's what a democracy is for.
How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the
slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts
to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination? When the news of
9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were
dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the
button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation
in the world. I still find it ncredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out
war. Not a "war on terrorism." A real war.
The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell," if
America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell
like you wouldn't believe.
The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of
the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and
the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived. But don't blame America for
not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many
democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can
count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any
chopped off for minor shoplifting.
I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle.
But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh.
Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be -
rich, free, strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the past, or
religion, or some caste system.
America is the best friend this country ever had and we should start
remembering that. Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil?
Tell it to the loved ones of the men and women who leaped to their death
from the burning towers. Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands
died on one of the hijacked planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing
skyscraper. And tell it to the hundreds of young widows whose husbands
worked for the New York Fire Department.
To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam Hussein. Once we
were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and set up
rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street chocolates.
Save me the orange center, oh mighty one!
Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in human
history was committed against America. Now do more than remember. Never
forget.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2003, 02:36 PM

John,

I've not read this before but I find it pleasing for a change instead of the recent comments. We Amerians have been turning our cheeks a little longer than we are used to. We've bitten our tongue and tried to compromise with those who say we are impatient.

BUT!!!!! This is short lived and won't and can't be sustained much longer. I may not agree with Bush 100% but we've been attacked and we will strike back.

Yes we have the tools and the WILL we will not tolerate violence against our people or our real alias.

A message will be sent loud and clear and the earth will shudder from its onslought we will not step backwards - we will not change our ideals - we will not loose our freedoms.

Push comes to shove there are 25 million vet's still living who will come out of retirement to watch our shores and our people. We can and we will not allow our children and their lives be taken out by such killers.

Be our alias - support us - and we will watch your back. Betray us and you've lost our might for the day will come when you will need us and not just our money.

I dare anyone to speak differently about our Nation and what represents to us - the hell with what other's might say - you don't like don't come here - don't ask for aide just go away.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-14-2003, 05:12 AM

Thanks John!It's nice to know that SOMEBODY remembers.It's sad to think that there are a very large number of Americans who are in need of the same reminder.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:54 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thanks John..that did my heart good..

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-17-2003, 06:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy THANKS

to Tony Parsons for writing this, and giving the English people a reality check. Unfortunately, it seems that there are more and more Americans in need of this same reality check, and that's a shame. Thank you, John, for bringing it to us.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks!

This made my day. It certainly is a reality check for not only our English allies but as Frisco says, a reality check for the ignorant and forgetful in this country. Too bad that the people it is intended for will pooh-pooh it and go on American bashing. I can accept that from idiotic Eurotrash but not from so called Americans. I would like to see us all walk taller, brag more, and hold our heads up high for being Veterans of the Greatest Nation on Earth, BAR NONE!

One Proud American!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 AM

Amen Paco!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ditto-ditto...DOC.

Plus, the rest of all you fine, sensible and patriotic people here.

Still, isn't it truly sad that SO MANY worldwide (unfortunately MANY here also) simply refuse to be so honest and forthright about such important matters? Is being The One that's all important, or belonging to the clique calling-the-shots all that truly matters in The World?

Hell, and even though never being one, I must believe that even fanatically self-important politicos, leaders, prelates, shieks or whomever would much prefer SURVIVAL, rather than simply caving-in to and putting their fates and destinies in the hands of murderous nuts? But then, and since: "Never being one",...what-the-hell do I know?

Besides, and in general, I'll never understand how ANYONE could possible despize me and hate my guts,...merely for helping them when in trouble or medicating, clothing and feeding them when in need. Plus, I even have no problem letting ANYONE worship as they wish (or not).
Don't believe such makes me (My Country America also) a bad person. Do you?

Neil
Old 02-20-2003, 11:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default information about this from www.snopes.com...

Claim: British journalist Tony Parsons penned an article chiding Brits for their attitude towards the September 11 attack on America.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting - the mass murder of thousands, live on television.
As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's mountain of skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi concentration camps.

An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on one thing - nobody deserves this fate.

Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the perpetrators truly evil.

But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance.

Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic.

And it seems incredible to me. More than that, it turns my stomach.

America is this country's greatest friend and our staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died for our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon?

And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers and on the planes was that we recognised them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives. And children. Some unborn.

And these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to blame for their meticulously planned slaughter?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan.

The anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember, remember.

Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were burned alive. Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers.

Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum. Remember, remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex.

So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength.

American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq - that's what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell", if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell like you wouldn't believe.

The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth.

The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system.

America is the best friend this country ever had and we should start remembering that.

Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it to the loved ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning towers.

Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the hijacked planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper.

And tell it to the hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire Department. To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam Hussein.

Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and set up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street. Save me the orange centre, oh mighty one!

Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in human history was committed against America.

No, do more than remember. Never forget.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Origins: Many have written to ask about this piece because attributions they received with it pointed them towards The Daily Mirror, where they were unable to locate the article in those archives. Yes, this piece was indeed published in that newspaper on 11 September 2002, and it can indeed be located in their on-line archives. (Others received information that pointed them to The Times, which accounts for their not being able to verify it, because it never appeared in that newspaper.)

Some versions being circulated in e-mail are prefaced by comments that indicate it is unusual to see America-positive statements issuing from The Daily Mirror and/or Tony Parsons. We've no idea what their usual stances on America are, but the 9 September 2002 Tony Parsons column ("A Friendly Word With Uncle Sam") echoes much of the "Shame on You . . ." article even as it disagrees that the USA should make war on Iraq.

As to why the "Shame" article has been as widely circulated in e-mail as it has been, Americans are delighted by pats on the back issued by non-Americans, especially in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks. In the fall of 2001, the 1973 Gordon Sinclair essay, "The Americans" found its way into the online world where many took it for a recent reaction by a Canadian journalist to the horror that had just taken place. Similarly, 2001's "What is an American?", an equally laudatory article purportedly penned by an Australian dentist (it wasn't; its author was an associate professor of law at a Virginia university) was held up by many as the shining proof that America's contributions to the world are recognized and appreciated by those living in other lands, as was "An Ode to America," a September 2001 piece by a Romanian journalist. America is all too aware it is hated abroad, thus international reactions whose gist is "No, we don't hate you -- you're actually wonderful, and we recognize your goodness and thank you for it" are going to be quickly seized upon and held up for others to see.

Barbara "social insecurity" Mikkelson

Last updated: 15 October 2002

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/rumors/shame.htm
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend
Urban Legends Reference Pages ? 1995-2003
by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson
This material may not be reproduced without permission
Old 02-21-2003, 07:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thanks MORTARDUDE,...

...and all the rest of you Fine Americans for all the important info that so many anti-America types would prefer being pretty-much kept under-the-rug, so as to validate mass-targetting and mass-murdering sickos as being somewhat justified at what they do. Pretty sick,...isn't it?

Besides, and since personally sick and tired of being daily waltzed-around by The Media and a multitude of naive liberals (both foreign and domestic) and even enemy supporters (both foreign and domestic),...I find the differently and unarguable HONESTY posted here quite refreshing. Also, it's nice chit-chatting with people whom also don't quite foolishly look at The World through: "Rose Colored Glasses", as so many do.

So,...I Salute You One and All, since undoubtedly STILL having: "The Right Stuff".
GarryOwen

Neil