Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Robin Williams in the House

Robin Williams in the House
Commentary by Steve Harrigan for FOX Fan Central

Al Asad Air Base

Got a good look at Robin Williams. He came over here for a USO tour. He ate in the dining hall and was surrounded by Marines. His table was across from mine. He had the four Marines he was eating with laughing. Other Marines would come up behind him to talk or shake his hand. When someone wanted a photo with him he would jump up from the table, put his arm around
them and pose. He came over to our table for no reason and shook our hands.

You hear a lot about celebrities complaining about their privacy. This guy flew to Iraq on a C-130 and came to give, and the whole time here he gave. The theater was standing room only. The officers did not go so the lower ranking marines could get it.

He did one bit about the Crocodile Hunter looking for Usama. He also joked about the shortage of armored vehicles. He did an impression of a man from Tennessee offering to solve the problem. "I'll build you a truck," he said.

It was a strange thing to be sitting there in a darkened theater and hear Marines crack up with laughter for more than an hour. It was like everyone forgot everything for a little while.

Later that night I was walking to chow. In the dark, two Marines passed me on bicycles. As they rode by I heard the guy in back retelling one of the jokes to the guy in front.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2004, 08:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Smile The Plane in the Picture is one I have worked on years ago

C-130E Aircraft tail number 63-7770 is out of Pope AFB . If you look in the door where that guy in Blue jeans and tennies is standing you will see another set of steps leading up to the Flight Deck aka "cockpit" behind those steps and just in front of the guy is located the "avionics bay" most all of the Avionics on the Plane. In the middle of a hot summer it gets close to 130* in side the avionics bay then you turn on the equipment and it heats up more..... if you look above the 2nd step from the bottom you will see 3 shiny spots those are 3 of the 4 hold down nuts holding the 400 watt HF Arc-90 RT in place. they weigh 100#s also there is a view window below them that you can look into the nose wheel compartment in flight to see if the nose gear is locked in place good to know if the lite bulb burns out on ya' when you are coming in for a landing. Just wanted to give you all a short tour of where I used to work for around 20 years on C-130 aircraft.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:24 PM

I would say, he had a reason. You're in arm pit of the world. Doing a tough job - Semper Fi, Mack.