The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > International

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 AM

Default Vance AFB air traffic controller selected for direct appointment to Academy

Vance AFB air traffic controller selected for direct appointment to Academy

02-09-2013 10:35 PM

Tags:
News
Vance AFB
Airman 1st Class Sage Keltee
U.S. Air Force Academy

by: Airman 1st Class Frank Casciotta
71st Flying Training Wing PAO
published: February 10, 2013

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. (AFNS) -- Approximately 2 percent of enlisted Airmen who apply to the U.S. Air Force Academy are selected each year for direct appointment. This year, one of the air traffic controllers here is among them.

Airman 1st Class Sage Keltee, from the 71st Operations Support Squadron, will be leaving for the Academy in June.

"I heard about the commissioning program for the U.S. Air Force Academy in June after my first-term airmen's center briefing," Keltee said. "I went to the education office and started the process."

It took five months and a team of NCOs to help Keltee achieve his goal to make it to the Academy.

"Being selected for direct admission requires an extensive selection process," said Patty Edmond from the admissions office at the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. "We assess their physical, academic and leadership potential through a series of background information and tests. We want to ensure that they will be successful, which is why so many go to the prep school first."

Keltee, however, will skip this step and will attend the Acedemy without detour.

"His motivation and drive to accomplish goals is what motivates me to do what I do today," said Master Sgt. Jason Trickey, the assistant chief controller at the radar approach control center in the 71st OSS. "He did all the work. I just helped him make sure his essays were formatted properly."

Applying for the Academy requires a significant amount of dedication and commitment which results in only a few Airmen applying. But Keltee was not deterred.

"He's the only active-duty Airman who has been accepted into this program in the past two years across the Air Force," said Lt. Col. Chris Callaghan, the commander of the 71st OSS.

"I heard they don't normally have spots filled, so I knew if I worked hard I would have a chance," said Keltee, a Cambridge, Ohio, native. "I had to take the ACT four times before I was satisfied with my score."

"I'm proud of what he accomplished," said Callaghan. "Frankly, I think most people look at the process, because it's so extensive, and say 'Tat's a hill too steep.' But he took the time to test and retest to make himself competitive. As a commander it was a rewarding experience to be the one to deliver the news to him."

Toward the end of the day on Jan. 31, Callaghan called a meeting to announce the good news.

"He came up to me and I was ecstatic because he told me I was accepted into the Academy directly, instead of having to go through the prepschool."

After he graduates from the Academy, Keltee would like to be a pilot or an engineer.

"The opportunities are here," Keltee said. "You can definitely do it if you try."

Tags: Airman 1st Class Sage Keltee, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, U.S. Air Force Academy, Vance AFB, News
Related Content:

by: Airman 1st Class Frank Casciotta
71st Flying Training Wing PAO
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. (AFNS) -- Approximately 2 percent of enlisted Airmen who apply to the U.S. Air Force Academy are selected each year for direct appointment. This year, one of the air traffic controllers here is among them.

Airman 1st Class Sage Keltee, from the 71st Operations Support Squadron, will be leaving for the Academy in June.

"I heard about the commissioning program for the U.S. Air Force Academy in June after my first-term airmen's center briefing," Keltee said. "I went to the education office and started the process."

It took five months and a team of NCOs to help Keltee achieve his goal to make it to the Academy.

"Being selected for direct admission requires an extensive selection process," said Patty Edmond from the admissions office at the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. "We assess their physical, academic and leadership potential through a series of background information and tests. We want to ensure that they will be successful, which is why so many go to the prep school first."

Keltee, however, will skip this step and will attend the Acedemy without detour.

"His motivation and drive to accomplish goals is what motivates me to do what I do today," said Master Sgt. Jason Trickey, the assistant chief controller at the radar approach control center in the 71st OSS. "He did all the work. I just helped him make sure his essays were formatted properly."

Applying for the Academy requires a significant amount of dedication and commitment which results in only a few Airmen applying. But Keltee was not deterred.

"He's the only active-duty Airman who has been accepted into this program in the past two years across the Air Force," said Lt. Col. Chris Callaghan, the commander of the 71st OSS.

"I heard they don't normally have spots filled, so I knew if I worked hard I would have a chance," said Keltee, a Cambridge, Ohio, native. "I had to take the ACT four times before I was satisfied with my score."

"I'm proud of what he accomplished," said Callaghan. "Frankly, I think most people look at the process, because it's so extensive, and say 'Tat's a hill too steep.' But he took the time to test and retest to make himself competitive. As a commander it was a rewarding experience to be the one to deliver the news to him."

Toward the end of the day on Jan. 31, Callaghan called a meeting to announce the good news.

"He came up to me and I was ecstatic because he told me I was accepted into the Academy directly, instead of having to go through the prepschool."

After he graduates from the Academy, Keltee would like to be a pilot or an engineer.

"The opportunities are here," Keltee said. "You can definitely do it if you try."

Tags: Airman 1st Class Sage Keltee, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, U.S. Air Force Academy, Vance AFB, News
Related Content:

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links