The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Reenactment

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Default F&I Reenactors--which musket?

I'm curious which repro musket (I'm sure no-one is stoopid enough to use an original!) do you Brit F&I reenactors use?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 AM

What's wrong with using an original? As long as you know how to clean it properly it's not a problem. I shoot an 1817 common rifle (Flint) but I use "Clean Shot" which leaves no black powder residue and has no sulphur in it's composition so that it will not corrode the barrel if not cleaned immediately after being fired.
Too many reenactors use black powder substitutes which are more corrosive than standard black powder. One that comes to mind are those compressed pellets that deer hunters use in their 50 cal. in lines. The stuff will start eating away at the bore within a few minutes of firing if the humidity is high.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

A friend of mine has an original military dog lock flintlock that he keeps meticulously clean, but he won't fire it. I agree with him on that. Besides it's increased value by not firing it, there's also a safety issue. I've seen reproduction muskets that have suffered burst barrels because the dumb ass owner didn't have the sense to clean it properly and the interior integrity of the barrel was compromised due to rust and corrosion.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Arrow muskets/fusils

I wasn't thinking about the shooting of blank charges so much as about the way longarms get beat up so much in re-enacting: dropped, bumped against rocks & other hard objects ("oops, another chunk of wood gone!"), that kind of thing. Come to think of it, re-enacting can be pretty destructive of re-enactors too! ("oops, another chunk of flesh gone!") :re:
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

It sure can be tough on re-enactors! I was almost trampled by a run-away horse, cut my leg while chopping wood for the fire, burned my hand taking a hot Dutch oven off the fire, got shot in the foot by a fellow re-enactor who wasn't sure if he just got a "flash-in-the-pan" during a volley so he re-primed and pulled the trigger, and got another 6" cut along the ribs from a bayonet that slipped off a Brit's musket during a hand-to-hand sequence while we were filming "The American Revolution".

One of guys lost his two front teeth from an over zealous Highlander who used his basket-hilt claymore on his face; another guy got some nasty burns and a nastier bruise on his face when the idiot next to him fired a quadruple load (he didn't realize his touch-hole was clogged) and his lock blew off his musket when it finally went off.

Lots more stories like that!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Thumbs down muskets & reenactors

Been there; done that; got the tee shirt!

...broken ribs, lost toenails, heat exhaustion, powder grains in the face, (hangovers), etc etc etc...