Old 08-26-2003, 04:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More Insanity

Court: State must cover care for illegals
Justices reject bid by agency to limit in-hospital Medicaid

By Jon Dougherty
? 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

The Arizona Supreme Court has rejected a plea by the state's Medicaid provider to limit medical coverage for illegal immigrants to emergency room and acute care.

The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System, or AHCCCS, manager of the state's Medicaid program, is obligated to provide care to illegals beyond emergency room and other acute care wards, justices ruled unanimously Thursday.

According to Capitol Media Services and the Arizona Daily Star, AHCCCS ? which currently pays $75 million to $80 million a year in emergency care for illegals ? had refused to reimburse hospitals for services it said were not covered. About one-third of that amount is covered by state taxpayers; the federal government covers the rest.

Critics of providing unlimited medical care to illegals argue many of them use emergency departments as clinics, a practice that not only can delay care for others but, since E.R. care is more expensive, can also raise the overall costs of operating a hospital. This is especially true in areas suffering from high immigration.

As WorldNetDaily reported, the cost of providing medical care to illegals in and around Los Angeles is rising so fast that many hospitals have cut services or closed emergency departments.

According to Project USA, an immigration reform group, the problem is "epidemic" throughout California. The group adds the problem is compounded because fewer taxes are being paid to support care for illegals.

"Since employers usually pay illegal aliens 'off the books,' neither the employer nor the workers pay payroll taxes," the group says.

Regarding health care, former immigration Lawyer Matt Hayes said "it is amazing that America is willing to provide free medical treatment to people who are not citizens ? and even illegal aliens ? while the home countries of most all of those people will not do so."

"For the fiscally conservative, free medical treatment for illegal aliens in an emergency is better than free medical treatment for illegal aliens for all maladies, all the time," Hayes said in a column for Fox News.

"But because America is now deluged with illegal immigrants like it has never been ? 8 million by the most recent government estimate ? the cost to taxpayers, even for emergency medical treatment, has skyrocketed," he said.

The Border Counties Coalition, formed by the elected officials of the 24 U.S. counties that border Mexico, Hayes said, reported medical expenses for illegal immigrations in 2000 was $832 million just for those counties. Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., says the cost to the entire nation is in the billions. "According to one estimate, the cost of providing federally-mandated health care to illegal immigrants is between $1.5 billion and $2 billion annually," he said in a Jan. 11, 2002 statement.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 08:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Scout,
What is your opinion of Senator McCain's suggestions for handling some of this?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

SCOUT -

"$75 - $80 Million indeed!"

I am just a poor slob myself, but I do have a kid attending university in Arizona on loans and scholarships! He just turned 21 a few days back, and although in good health, he was ill last year at school!

Outside of a visit to the nurse's office, the kid (unfortunately) had no medical program to fall back upon, and played hell getting any needed medicine! And he was not Uncas in this arena, as many, many a poor (but talented) kid with potential in universities has been gifted with a similar "Catch 22!"

Yet, many illegals here in the United States are camped out at emergency rooms and hospitals getting expensive MD-TLC! If they were denied medical care, many a Hispanic Group would scream bloody murder!! Yet, when I called into Arizona, and indeed even the Feds, attempting to attain a little Med-Care for my ailing son, I was gifted with a shit storm of indignation and denials! Only after I threatened to contact the media, was the needed medicine (antibiotics) attained for my son! (A double standard perhaps, with illegals being given preferential treatment)?!

VERITAS
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default HC and BLUE

HC, Sorry to read that it required threats etc. to obtain the proper medical care for your son. Your story only serves to underscore the basic premise that our immigration policy is in the shitter, and nobody on the horizon owning a pit-pump. Nexzt time this happens, call me, and we'll go open up a large can of WhupAss on 'em!

BLUE, pardon my being uninformed on the matter, but I'm at a loss as to what McCain advocates, except more McCain. If he's in favor of sealing the borders, deporting all illegals (we still call them wetbacks, here), instituting a valid, verifiable guestworker or visa program, and prosecuting anybody who even remotely violates this new policy, then I'm all in favor of it. The sad state of affairs is when the state of California attempted to do something sane about controlling immigrants and the cost they bring to legal citizens, the federal court nullified that referendum, costing the state billions more, and shooting the States Rights amendment straight in the ass again.

In a related matter, I read about a large group of Mexican-Americans in California who have been working to give the state back to Mexico. This same group has claimed Cruz Bustamante, one of the governor-wannabees, as one of its members, and he has yet to disavow their secessionist intent, or to cancel his membership.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-26-2003, 01:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Quick Test for Fun!

Here's a set of classic and actual quotes from some of Hollywood?s most dangerous Leftists! See if you can match the quotes with the dangerous liberals who uttered them.

1. Martin Sheen 2. Jane Fonda 3. Barbra Streisand

4. Rosie O'Donell 5. Ed Asner 6. Susan Sarandon

7. Alec Baldwin

a. "I would think that if you understood what Communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we someday become communists."

b. "I don?t care if you think it?s your right. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison."

c. "What's happened to Blair?...I can see him being seduced by Clinton, but don?t understand what him and Bush speak about."

d. "I think he (President Clinton) was probably the brightest President of the 20th century."

e. "I have never seen him (G. W. Bush) as a man with clarity and vision."

f. "I think my exact comment was that if Bush won it would be a good time to leave the United States. I?m not necessarily going to leave the United States."

g. "How could such a destructive man (President Bush) be so popular with the American people?"

Answer key: 1. d, 2. a, 3. g, 4. b, 5. e, 6. c, 7. f

Old 08-26-2003, 01:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Scout -
July 25, 2003
"Border Security and Immigration Act", introduced in Congress.

McCain says, step #1... who knows, problem is too little too late too often.