The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Displaying the 10 commandments

Well the South has risen again in states rights Vs the U.S. government. The Alabama state judicial building has the 10 commandments displayed in it and has been ordered to remove it by the Alabama state supreme court. The Chief Justice of Alabama has refused to do so. The reason for removal is that (in their opinion) the display of the 10 commandments violates the first amendment to the constitution of the United States. Just so there will be no doubt and misquoting of the first amendment it reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peacably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Now I am not an overly religious person but it seems to me that some of the 10 commandments are a pretty good basis for making civil laws, with the exception of making laws based on any of the commandments that specifically state any preference for any religion, I can not for the life of me see where displaying the 10 commandments is a violation of the 1st amendment of the constitution. ROLL TIDE, IS MY OPINION. Please feel free to jump in.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 08:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Pho -
See also, on this, General posts, "Separation of Church, Fools and State" or some such... a lot of hot comment there from several of us.

- Judge Moore was technically in the wrong to place the monument without permission, or so it seems, two years ago.
- For a sitting judge to violate a legal court order is a very dangerous thing... which our most patriotic partisans on PF will dependably lament, if not yell about and get real accusatory over.

a) I still don't think it is wrong to have the monument right where it is, for precisely the reasons you have stated, regardless.
b) I still don't think an american citizen (even a judge) is obliged to obey an "unlawful" order, even when it comes from a court.

Interesting problem, no?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:50 AM

PHO127,

I think this is just terrible. These issues are really getting out of hand and I think it's going to get worse. I really think that Chief Justice did the right thing. AL ought to vote on whether or not they want the stone where it's at. How can the majority loose?

I know the rules of law have a tendency to strip away majority rules of late and there seems to be something wrong when that happens.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote