The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2004, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default USS Midway Info..

Subj: The Phantom is Coming to Midway
Date: 2/25/04 12:01:22 AM Eastern Standard Time

www.midway.org
Is Midway haunted? No, it's just our newly restored F-4S Phantom! One of the most versatile aircraft in the history of the Navy, the Phantom will be the fourth restored aircraft on board Midway and will join the flight deck ballet at the trap.

Volunteers have begun restoration of the ship's mess decks and island superstructure. If you are available to volunteer, please contact Lynda Newton at midwayvols@san.rr.com for more information.

Our Board of Directors is planning a limited number of opening celebrations on board Midway. If you have not already joined our Circle of Friends and are interested in being a part of grand-opening events, please visit our Circle of Friends web site at www.midway.org/help/help.htm for additional information on the benefits of joining our Circle of Friends (including invitations to an opening celebration). Your donation will go towards the restoration of the vessel. Membership programs will be available on our web site later this spring.

We appreciate the time and effort each of our board members and volunteers have devoted to developing what will become the American flagship of floating naval aviation museums. We look forward to welcoming the public aboard Midway in June 2004.

Sincerely,
Riley D. Mixson
RADM, USN (Ret.)

www.midway.kintera.org

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2004, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Midway News 3-20-04

www.midway.org

Midway Project Moves Forward Thanks to Volunteer Efforts

Thanks to the hard work of many volunteers the Midway project continues to move forward. Our docent training program has begun and volunteer work crews are onboard preparing exhibit spaces. Office volunteers are now working Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

We've come far, but we still need your help. If you live in the San Diego area and would like to volunteer, please email us at midwayvols@san.rr.com.

Midway's audio tour is currently being planned. Do you know any carrier aviation heroes? Are you one? Please reply to sdacm@aol.com with your story and our editorial panel will review the content of your story for applicability. Please include your name, address, and phone number.

Commemorative tickets are selling fast. Make your plans to be a part of Midway's inaugural season. Tickets can be purchased online at www.midwaycommtixs.kintera.org or by mailing your check for $50 to the address below. To plan your visit to San Diego, visit www.sdcvb.org.

Stay tune for more information in the coming weeks on our museum membership program!

Regards,
Riley D. Mixson
RADM (Ret.) USN
Executive Director
1355 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
www.midway.org

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-04-2004, 09:41 PM

Default the museum will open June 7

www.midway.org

The countdown has begun to the opening of Midway Magic. After many years
of planning, the museum will open June 7, 2004, at 10:00 AM. Museum
admissions will be $13 for adults, $10 for seniors (62+) /military with ID,
and $7 for children (6-12). Kids under 6 and active duty military in
uniform will be admitted free. Commemorative tickets are available at
www.midway.org.

Museum exhibits are under development. Aboard will be 4 aircraft -- the
Corsair A-7B, Phantom F-4S, Intruder A-6E, and Hawkeye E-2C. Visitors will
be able to tour the Island Superstructure, Flight Deck, Hangar Deck and
portions of the Second Deck.

More adventurous patrons can also purchase tickets to ride our motion
simulator and be a part of an air mission. Still looking for a bigger
thrill? Then our virtual reality experience may be just the thing to get
your heart pounding. Be a part of the action, jump into a cockpit, and fly
your own jet into the action. And of course you'll be able to take home a
piece of it all from the Museum store called The Jet Shop. Light
refreshments will be available in the Fantail Cafe.

Membership is now available. To request a brochure, email sdacm@aol.com.

Thank you for your continued support of the San Diego Aircraft Carrier
Museum. We look forward to welcoming you aboard this summer.

Sincerely,
Riley D. Mixson
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Executive Director

PS: Volunteers are needed Friday, April 16th to assist with cleaning the hangar bay
and mess decks. Please reply to sdamc@aol.com if you can help Friday, April 16th
or Friday, April 23rd between 9 AM & 3 PM.

Mailing Address: 1355 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Phone 619-702-7700 Fax: 619-234-3497
Email: sdacm@aol.com Web site: www.midway.org

Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC

Midway Magic - Let Freedom Ring!

The USS Midway is docked at the pier next to the Broadway Pier. The Navy League and the USS Midway Foundation have timed their openings to coincide!

It will be historic! Attend the activities/festivities sponsored by both groups.

For Navy League information please see "Navy League National Convention Downtown San Diego!" The theme of the Navy League National Convention is "Let Freedom Ring."
Old 04-17-2004, 07:44 AM

www.midwaymember.kintera.org

Pre-Orders of First Book on Midway's History Benefit Museum
After two years of research and 308 Midway sailor interviews, Scott McGaugh's Midway Magic An Oral History of America's Legendary Aircraft Carrier will be on bookshelves across the nation in late June!

But you can order now and get your copies autographed! Proceeds benefit the museum and quantity discounts are available! Go to: www.midwaymagic.com and click on "Advance Orders" And spread the word to employees, friends and colleagues. It's a great way to capture a piece of history and benefit the museum and quantity discounts are available!

SDACM now offers a variety of memberships with a host of great benefits and values. Become a member today! Memberships start at $35 for seniors, $50 for individuals and $75 for families. Sign up online at
www.midwaymember.kintera.org and become a charter member of Midway Magic!

Midway Welcomes Local Business Leaders
Midway hosted the San Diego Chamber of Commerce for the first event aboard Midway. Chief Operating Officer Mac McLaughlin spoke at the breakfast and asked for the community's support. He called on area business leaders to
sponsor exhibits aboard Midway. McLaughlin previewed the museum's education program set for launch in September 2004. To request information on corporate sponsorship, please reply to sdacm@aol.com.

Artifacts Needed
Our collection of naval memorabilia continues to grow, but we still need your support! We are seeking the following items that will permit us to properly depict the F-4 and A-7 in a flying status for their respective exhibits:

Three flight helmets (HGU-33 type preferred)
Three oxygen masks
Three Nomex flight suits
Three flight suit harnesses

If you would like to donate one of these items email our curator at
USSMidwayCurator@cox.net

Kudos to Our Volunteers
A project like this does not enjoy the level of success we have reached without the dedication of a great group of volunteers. We have hundreds of individuals who have offered their time and talents to this project.

For those of you who have made the trek down to Harbor Drive to view the Midway, you have come into contact with many of these great volunteers. Each day a dozen or so volunteers greet pedestrians along the waterfront
as visitors stroll the Embarcadero between Seaport Village and the Star of India. During their sojourn visitors inquiry about the size of the ship and details on her crew. These volunteers are helping us build our initial base of members and educate folks from across the country on the grandeur of this modern marvel, the aircraft carrier.

The San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum is a registered 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization. Your donation is tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Donations can be mailed to:

San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum
1355 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101

or visit us online at
www.midway.org

Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 AM

Default ticket package online today

www.midway.org
The Navy's most pioneering aircraft carrier, USS Midway, will soon become the flagship of naval aviation museums. You can be a part of this momentous occasion and help us create a remarkable museum by purchasing your limited edition Commemorative Ticket online today.

The Commemorative Ticket package includes a Commemorative Ticket suitable for framing, a booklet chronicling Midway's rich history, a one-time admission pass good for up to four people for free admission to the museum. (The admission pass is good for museum entrance during normal operating hours and is not valid for special events.)

All this can be yours for $50!!!
Order your ticket package online today at www.midwaycommtixs.kintera.org
Or mail a check payable to SDACM, to San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum (SDACM), 1355 N Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101. Please note on the memo line that you're requesting a Commemorative Ticket package.

If you have already purchased your packet, thank you for your support. The museum opens June 7, 2004, and will be open from 10 AM - 5 PM each day.

San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum, 1355 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Volunteer today, email midwayvols@san.rr.com to request an application.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Experience Midway Magic beginning June 7, 2004!

www.midway.org

Experience Midway Magic beginning June 7, 2004!

We are putting the finishing touches on our opening-day exhibits and attractions. As many as eight restored aircraft will be on display, including an SNJ, F-4S Phantom, Hawkeye E2-C, F-14 A Tomcat, an Intruder A-6E, and a Corsair II A-7B.

Audio guides will be included with every admission! This "virtual docent" will guide you around the hangar bay, mess deck and flight deck exhibits. The island structure will be open to rotating groups of Midway guests as they rotate through flight deck control, the bridge and primary flight control. While you are up there, take in the view of Coronado and Point Loma from the open bridge.

If you have yet to sign up for membership or order your Commemorative tickets, you can do so online today. Visit us at www.midway.org for additional information.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Midway!

Sincerely,
Theresa Randall
Membership Director
San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum
619-702-7700

PS: Your company or foundation can be a part of the Magic. To request information on our major giving opportunities, please reply with your contact information.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:05 AM

http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events.html

You're Invited aboard the USS Midway

Friday, October 15, 2004

5:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Cost $30 per person

Make your check payable to Fleet Week San Diego and mail it with your name and the names of your guests by October 9th to

Theresa Randall c/o USS MIDWAY, 910 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101

Your check is your RSVP

Sorry, no credit cards will be accepted

Event Description: The Service Associations' Salute to Heroes will be a unique event held on board the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum. As a Fleet Week Event, the Sea Service Associations will join the Naval Order of the United States and the Navy League in honoring members of the Legion of Honor, those service men and women who are recipients of the Medal of Honor or Service Cross. Participating members of these organizations will have the opportunity to tour the Midway and mingle with other members of the participating organizations and the honorees at a reception on the Hanger Deck. Tours of the Midway will be available from 1700 - 1800. The Hanger Deck Reception will take place between 1800 and 2000, with a brief program of recognition at 1830.

Contact Fleet Week at 1-800-FLEETWEEK

http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events.html

Old 10-14-2004, 04:37 PM

Midway President
John ?Mac? McLaughlin RADM USNR (Ret.)

Invites You Aboard USS MIDWAY

Saturday, October 30, 2004

6:00 p.m. VIP Mixer on Mess Deck

6:30 p.m.Cocktails in Hangar Bay #2

Tours of Live-aboard Spaces Commence

7:30 p.m. Dinner in Hangar Bay #1

8:15 p.m. Youth Overnight Program Brief

Come aboard for an evening of fun and learn more about Midway's education program and our plans for the youth overnight program.

Purchase your tickets online at www.liveaboardmidway.kintera.org

Dress Code: Business Attire

Tickets $100 per person

$150 for VIP Tickets

$1000 per table for 8 include VIP Tickets

Purchase your tickets online at www.liveaboardmidway.kintera.org

Questions or to make your reservation:

Please contact us at 619-544-9600 x229

SDACM, 910 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101

The San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum is a registered 501(c) 3 charity.

Proceeds from this event go towards building out the Midway's Live-aboard Program

Please reply to this email to request a flyer on the program.

sdacm@aol.com

Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM

Midway Museum Members Save the Date!

Here are some of Midway's upcoming events:

New Years Eve festivities aboard Midway, visit www.peartreescatering.com for details.

==========================================

Winter Members Night

Members are invited to join us onboard Midway Wednesday, February 2, 2005. We'll be offering docent lead tours, light snacks, and beverages. Mark your calendar for a special winter night of fun!

===========================================

Behind the Scenes tours of Midway for members of our Captain's Circle and Admiral Circle.

============================================

Not yet a member? You can join online at www.midway.org. Click on join the Midway for more information.