The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lil' LT. HERE!

I hope all my Brothers and Sisters know that you are in my prayers and thoughts everyday - I hope your Veterans Day is as special as you all are ! My Fahter lost his Father 9 years ago today- His Name is John F. Hager, and I named my son after my Daddy- John Lawton Hager- I hope it keeps going on etc...- I love you Daddy and thank you for always being there for my family everyday!!! I know your friends think you are crazy to let us live here still while we get our S*** together, but that is why my son and daughter are the "happiest kids you have ever seen" you -Opa and Grandma are thr reason tey are smilling all the time, so thank you Daddy and another thank you to all my Brothers and Sisters-WELCOME HOME!!! Whether you are here or in Heaven you are Thanked and will always be apart of my Family and never forgotten - Proud Daughter of DMZ-LT, Lil' Lt.

I love you Big'' Sis- never fotget, nor doubt
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 08:31 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I won't forget Lil' Mama, just found a note yesterday you wrote me tucked away in one of my books, the one you sent with some flowers. Had to smile. I don't know what all the fuss is aboutthree generations of Hager's in one house, it was the norm a few generations back.A lot of good people came out of those generations that were the back bone of this nation.Thank You, Cathy, and most of all Mom for taking suchgood care of your Daddy! He'd be lost without you all and those babies!!!! Sendin' love and huggggs from your Sis in Indian Territory...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default "if pappy was a pistol ...

.... i'm a son of a gun."

I have told John that he has some happy looking children and grandchidren ... good sign that they made the right choice of environs and parents before they came to this Earth ... I believe that kind of thing. May yah'll fullfill your earthly missions, be with some joy and a lot of contentment ...

Siempre Fiel, soldado de los aguas cafe ... B

The Heger Name and Origin
The name "Heger" has a derivation from an occupation. In German, "heger" means "man who tends the woods." It is the name for a forest warden, and is a relatively old family name. The name Heintz Heger was recorded in Strasburg in 1312, and the Heger name was in Freiburg after 1460. This name was, and still is, found throughout much of the German speaking parts of Europe, including especially, Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemberg, Alsace, Switzerland, and parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Two similar spellings "Heger" and "H?ger" occur in Europe, but they have different pronunciations, meaning, and etymology. In German, the spelling "H?ger" would be pronounced in the United States something like the name in English "Hacker." The names Hager, Heger, Haeger, and Hacker have the same Soundex, H260, along with many other similar names found in Europe and America. This document focuses on the German name spelled "Heger" and pronounced there as an American would phonetically pronounce the name "Hager," i.e., hay-gr, with the "g" as in "girl."

The spellings of their names that the immigrants used in Europe were not pronounced with the same sounds in America. Unlike a German, an American might pronounce the spelling "Heger" with a long "e" in the first syllable. When the immigrants came to America, they often changed the way they spelled their names so that native American speakers of English would pronounce it as the immigrants were accustomed to hear it in Europe. Thus, many Heger males, particularly younger immigrants and the first American-born generation, eventually changed the spelling of their name to "Hager" to preserve its familiar sound. American speakers of English would spell the name as "Hager" or something similar on their paperwork when hearing this name, even if the immigrant persisted in the traditional spelling or could not write. Likewise, some of the names spelled "H?ger" in Europe may have become "Hacker," "Haker," "Hecker," or other spellings having the short "a" in the first syllable and/or the guttural Germanic "g" sound. Conversely, it is possible that other names changed to the spelling "Heger" to obtain their familiar sound as heard in Europe.

Since the documents do not reveal how the different spellings were pronounced, all the spellings that might have been pronounced hay-gr are transcribed in the records presented here, but not spellings, such as "Hecker" or "Haker," that usually indicate a different name from the Germanic Heger. Sometimes, however, a family name was spelled with such alternate spellings in a few documents even though it was usually spelled "Heger" or "Hager."

Their Travel and Destination
Most emigrating Germans had to cross western Europe to reach a seaport. In the 1800s, the two most common modes of travel were by river and railroad. Those in southwestern Germany could go down the Rhine River to Rotterdam, or travel overland through France to Le Harve. In Europe, Germans were not allowed to emigrate or travel without permission and papers. Being caught without papers could produce heavy economic sanctions against the family, often funding a corrupt regime. Nevertheless, many left without approval. Wooden sailing ships were the primary method of travel across the Atlantic until the later part of the 1870s, when metal-hulled, steam-powered ocean liners started to dominate travel. Thus, perhaps the majority of German-Americans came via steamship, avoiding the dangers of the the sailing vessel. Virtually all arrived at American ports, then made their way into the interior via rail or water conveyance.
Yankees founded and began building Cleveland in the first quarter of the 19th century, but in the second quarter of that century, emigrants from outside the United States began settling in and near Cleveland. In the second half of the 1800s, great numbers of Irish and Germans swelled the population of Cleveland. The pioneering Yankees created the opportunities that immigrants used to enter American society, but the process of assimilation was not an easy one. Germans who came to Cleveland were hard workers who had skills and ambitions that rivaled those of the Yankees themselves. They imported or cultivated their own able social leaders who helped build their own successful communities within the wider Cleveland society, and made many contributions to it. Although formerly subjects of imperial autocrats, German-Americans did not have the disadvantages of being the victims of a hostile colonial power, as did the Irish. A serious setback to the identity of German-Americans and their descendants, and their relationship to American society, came with the wars against Germany in the 20th century, when hysteria and anti-German hostility led to discrimination and foul deeds on the part of some Americans, and self-deprecation, doubt, and rejection for many of German origins.

Their Labors
Many Germans-American immigrants of the 19th century were skilled farmers or had vocations, such as bakers, brewers, and builders, that enabled them to quickly establish an optimistic financial future. Others were able to exercise their entrepenurial bent in commercial ventures, or to advance their professional standing through education. Even those without vocational or business skills were usually able to find work and opportunities that made economic progress for their families. German-American social leaders were able to focus on positive objectives and interface successfully with the other elements of American society to advance the aspirations of their base. Today, about one-quarter of Americans can trace their ancestry to one of the eight million German-American immigrants, the largest ethnic block to arrive. Probably no other immigrant group to post-colonial America had as much impact on culture, economics, and politics as the German-Americans.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Lil' LT :

I don't think its crazy at all.. I think its one of the best things in the world.. Your kids are very happy kids you can see that in every picture posted.. Your dad is also very happy to have you all with him.. As long as mom and dad are happy then its alright.. No matters what anyone things.. I am glad to know you and your dad and have you both as friends..
tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 11-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Just got back from the mountains. Thanks everyone esp , Beau for all the info on the Hager name. MY Dad was born in Germany with the umlot over the A. I am truly blessed in many , many ways
Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Everly Bros

Blessings indeed ... and I bet your "umlot over the A" Dad is watching over you all, soldiers.

Well, you got back from the mountains and I took the kid to Berserkly, to get a redo on a fouled up ear piercing at a suburban Mall ... 'sides, I don't think she will choose suburbia when she is on her own (she is part German as well).

So, this heavily tatooed professional Tatoo and Body Piercing artist did a tremendous job ... explained all the hygiene considerations, took many measurements, sterilized his needles (rather than the Impact guns they use in the malls) ... and skewed her ears with steel.

pardon me for the interjecting of my gene pool in this thread, which belongs to YOUse.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Re: Everly Bros

Quote:
Originally posted by Beau Blessings indeed ... and I bet your "umlot over the A" Dad is watching over you all, soldiers.

Well, you got back from the mountains and I took the kid to Berserkly, to get a redo on a fouled up ear piercing at a suburban Mall ... 'sides, I don't think she will choose suburbia when she is on her own (she is part German as well).

So, this heavily tatooed professional Tatoo and Body Piercing artist did a tremendous job ... explained all the hygiene considerations, took many measurements, sterilized his needles (rather than the Impact guns they use in the malls) ... and skewed her ears with steel.

pardon me for the interjecting of my gene pool in this thread, which belongs to YOUse.
Oh ... and I picked up a great, classic Everly Bros CD from one of those Hippy leftover music shops in Berzerkly (Rasputins) ... tremendous harmonies those Everly Bros sang ... "till the sun drys up the sea ..."
Old 11-12-2006, 07:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up BEAU

You ain't interjecting nothing . We are brothers , been on the same places. Thank you