Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2003, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Retired Marine Finds Place In Corps' Women's History

Retired Marine Finds Place
In Corps' Women's History

By Marine Cpl. Krystal N. Leach

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. ? As women forayed their way through obstacles to reach the top of the ranks, they still faced some blatant forms of discrimination.

For one newly-trained female Marine lieutenant it was surprising to find out that different a training regimen existed for women.

"I was flabbergasted to learn that women going through boot camp (in the 80's) were not allowed to fire the M-16 A2 service rifle," explained retired Lt. Col. Betsy Judge.

Having only become a permanent facet of the military in 1948, women have rapidly leaped forward in matching the accomplishments of their male counterparts.

Originally, only occupying clerical billets, women slowly began to expand their horizons to more operational positions like parachute riggers, mechanics, radio operators, motor transport supporters and welders.

In 2002, Judge was one of 54 women to hold the grade of lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps. This is a very small number compared to the 1,715 males who held the same position during that time period.

Judging by the drastic difference in numbers, such an accomplishment should be considered a landmark in one's career.

However, the hard-charging retiree remains humble about her career achievements in the Corps. Perhaps this attitude is a result of always reaching out to grasp a touch of the next plateau.

At the age of 23, the Louisiana State University graduate, with the helpful guidance of a retired Marine, decided to take the chance and join one of the Armed Services elite branches.

Judge recalled, "I went to the local recruiting station. Already having a degree, I knew that I could become an officer."

She mentioned having shopped around at other branches before making a final decision.

"The only service with a recruiter there was the Navy. They didn't have any openings for officers, so I began the process of enlisting," she said.

Immediately reporting the news to her boss at the restaurant where she worked as a nightshift waitress, her decision underwent a drastic change.

"My boss at the restaurant was a retired Marine major. When I told him that I was going to enlist in the Navy, he told me I was going to be an officer of Marines," she said. "The next thing I know, I'm at (Officer Candidate School)."

From there on, history was in the making for Judge's military career. Judge, whose humility remains steadfast, said that she earned her strength in the male-dominated organization through an inherited family mindset.

"My parents instilled in me a real sense of work ethic," she confessed. "My mother always said that if a job is worth doing at all, it is worth doing well."

So with that message permanently engraved in her mind, Judge continued to maintain her mother's motto while serving in the Corps.

"There were many times, particularly early in my career, where I questioned whether I could handle a certain job that I had been given. I just jumped in and gave it my all."

With that attitude she propelled her way to the top, even while facing minor obstacles, which perhaps many women in the military encounter.

"I met one officer in the course of a 21 year career who, I could tell, didn't think I was up for being a Marine simply because I was a women," she confessed. "I didn't do anything special to change his mind. I just did my job, was professional --- I was a Marine, and he (eventually) came to see me as that."

Judge let little get in her way of succeeding. During the course of her career, she served as a Public Affairs Officer. Her first duty station was at the Consolidated Public Affairs Office, Okinawa, Japan.

While there, she participated in various exercises, which placed her, along with few other females, in a combat training environment.

"I don't think that the gender of an individual serving their country is significant. I think the fact that someone serving is significant," she explained. "I believe that we all have the opportunity to share in the freedoms that this great country has to offer, and likewise, we should share in protecting those freedoms."

After a yearlong tour, getting her boots wet on deployments from Okinawa, Judge reported to the 1st Marine Corps District, Garden City, N.Y. There she served as the Recruitment Advertising Officer for the Northeastern United States.

Three years later, she transferred to Headquarters Marine Corps, Washington, and served as the Media Officer in the Marketing Branch. While there, she oversaw all national-level paid recruitment advertising and direct mail programs.

Judge transferred to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, after attending and graduating the Amphibious Warfare School in 1990. Initially she served as the deputy and later as director of the Joint Public Affairs Office. While holding these billets, Judge deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope in December 1992.

Judge then transferred, shortly thereafter to Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans, La., where she served again as a director.

According to Sgt. A.C. Strong, press chief, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, it is sometimes difficult to find female role models in the Corps. However, Judge made an impression on the enlisted Marine when Strong was briefly assigned to HQMC PAO prior to formal training in what was to become her job field.

"I first met Lieutenant Colonel Judge when I was a Pfc., and advice that she gave me at the time has proven to be invaluable," Strong recalled. "She has been and continues to be one of the Marines whom I strive to emulate. The success she achieved in the Corps and the officer-side of my own MOS makes her a great example for not just females, but all Marines making their way through the ranks."

Judge's strength in character, shear professionalism and ability to get the job done are only a few of the reasons she has propelled to the top of her field in the Marine Corps.

Her lists of accomplishments extend to later becoming the public affairs officer for Gen. Charles C. Krulak, 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps. She also served as the director of training for pubic affairs and journalism at the Defense Information School, at Fort Meade, Md.

After helping mold service members into journalists, photographers, videographers, and television broadcasters, Judge returned to Headquarters Marine Corps in 2000. While there she served as the deputy director of Marine Corps Public Affairs.

Judge explained that, while there, she oversaw all public affairs activities associated with the V-22 and Operation Enduring Freedom.

Retiring from Marine Corps in August 2002, she now holds the position as the U.S. Naval Institute's public relations manager in Annapolis, Md.

"I am extremely proud of having being a Marine --- that, in itself, is a wonderful accomplishment. I was very fortunate to reach the rank of lieutenant colonel and to have been offered great billets including leading Marines," Judge said while reflected back. "I will always treasure my time as a Marine."

Retired Marine Lt. Col. Betsy Judge shakes hands with Brig. Gen. Andrew B. Davis during her retirement ceremony Aug. 2002. Photo courtesy of retired Lt. Col. Betsy Judge

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links