The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 PM

Default 39 year old goes to Basic Training

I joined the Army Reserve at age 38, and celebrated my 39th in Basic Training. I wrote a blog about my experience in Basic Training (and I'm filling in details about AIT now), and thought it might be useful - especially for people who are thinking of joining the military and want to know what Basic is like.

My blog is posted at:

http://flyarmy.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

SPC Eric Johannsen
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Great site Eric, thank you for sharing it with us. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor
Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Robert J Ryan

mik no thanks took basic once back in April 1967 through May 31st 1967, that was enough for me. Fort Jackson on Tank HIll E-2-1 "more sweat than blood". AIT at Fort Polk don't care to do that again either.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM

Basic ain't what it used to be! All the NCO's complain about the BOSS program - Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers. That lead to broad changes in TRADOC. Basically the DS's don't have much real power, and most people figure it out pretty quickly.

We even had a girl show up for CQ duty completely naked (well, except for her shower shoes) and not much happened to her. She *eventually* got recycled, but only after a huge string of problems.

Still, I hear you - serving isn't for everyone, and I appreciate that you did your part in the past.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Doc.2/47

Pussie-cat DI's, (necked!)girl soldiers,and no draft?! I was for sure born in the wrong era!

Welcome to the site Mik.!!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Sheesh..I'd volunteer this time...bare nekkid girls on CQ..ohhhh, if only I were 40 years younger. Durn tootin' I'd volunteer this time
Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We had a 38 year oild Korean War veteran in my basic training class. The DS's took good care of him.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:00 PM

My DS's showed no quarter, but that's the way I wanted it. If I end up in combat, I want to know I got the best training I can get.

Does anyone have any comments on the blog? Part of the reason I wrote it partially in the hope it would be useful to people who might join the military. Should I change / improve anything to make it more useful?

http://flyarmy.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Eric