The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Navy Types please read!

Need help for a friend. His son went into the Navy unassigned, what is the name/phone number of whoever is in charge of enlisted personel in the Navy. I guess the kid is miserable and wants to see if he can get into any rate that does not include scraping the deck and painting. Thanks!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Every now then a few sailors slip through the cracks and these guys go in undesignated. They usually end up on a ship somewhere where a body is needed and then will be assigned based on his skills (if any). He should go to ships counseler or the Chaplin and discuss this with issue with them and see they can steer in him to someone who could somehow make some difference.

Other than that - What interest does he have? What does he want to do? They may have many openings - but he needs to tell them - so he can then apply or they will use him a laborer until he makes rank or gets a transfer? Sad position to be in. But many guys don't have a clue what they want to do - or what is really available to them.

The Navy is pretty good as sorting these things out. He should discuss this with his ships counslers and see what openings there are and how to go about getting a transfer. It may take six months but it would be helpful if he knew what he wanted or what his goals are?

Many don't know for a long time. He needs exposure to other elements in the service there are so many to pick and choose from. If he doesn't have his high school diploma tell him to get working his GED asap. This will be needed and then to take course of things he has an interest in. He can strike for his own rating just be taking and passing these test.

Tell him to hang in there and don't get frustrated - there are things that he can do and that the Navy can do for him. He has to ask questions and seek advice regarding the potential openings. I hope this helps.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Thumbs up Boats...

Thanks, I will pass along your thoughts! (Seems like sound advice to me)

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Catman - I scrapped & chiped paint and did lots of other nasty things but it comes with the territory. Taking care of a ship and the maintenance thereof - is very important to the Navy. Every duty station has this requirement. Maintenance is nasty hard work but it also gives you an appreciation for the efforts that quickly show the benefits once completed.

He's in the peacetime Navy - its a lot different when on the line. Off the line its back to the maintenance aspects and that will never go away. The care and maintenance is considered taking care of your home and that is what it really is. Be glad he's not in dry dock where the work load triples and the work gets even harder.

I can appreciate the disenchantment of this type of work but we've all had to do this in the Navy. MY britework skills got real good before I moved on.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Cool Well...

just between us, I detect a little whining going on here. Army is no different...in the Artillery we were either shooting it, washing it or reparing it all the time. As you say, comes with the territory no matter which service you are in. Thanks again!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boats,...

You're giving Trav good advice,...
whether youngster joining Airforce, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy.

Still, Boats? Calling it:"Peacetime Navy" seems like a big mistake to me?

Neil
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default hmm,...

...If it don't walk, talk, grunt, pick it up,...

...too big to pick up, paint it,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sorry,

As I understand it, All navy personnel are assigned a "space". That space must be maintained by them. Pete (GunnerCarvo) gets to do that in the 5" gunmount.

The sailor that got the least respect onboard ship was one that showed up and, after space was assigned, said "I did not join to do cleaning & housekeeping". That she was female is irrevelant. She was a whiner.

I sent him an email for his input.

Joy

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Trav sounds likehe is in first division thats where the boatswains mates are. If he has no real asperations of greatness or dosen't want a specific field of expertice. tell him to embrace his position. its one of the best in the NAVY. Chipping paint and repainting is just a job to keep you out of trouble during the day. Your real Job is one of the best there is and requires a great deal of skill. Rigging for refueling and replunishments, standing bridge watch, where else in the world can a kid drive a multimillion dollar ship through the great Oceans of the world. I grumbled all the time about my lot in life chipping paint but as I did I was viewing some of the greatest sights in the world. I was allways on seck in the open seeing the adventure as it happened. not locked up in a below decks or infront of a panal of gages where the view never changes. Tell your son to get a cam corder and take as many pictures as he can of what he see's and expererance' they are a true treasure later in life. I had a 8 mm during my time in the navy and the films that I had transfered to VCR tapes are a real hit with crew mates at reunions. Being on the top side I took pictures of everything including shore gunfire support. to refueling. it was great. bitching about your job is one of the perks of being a sailor the other one is learning some new cus works and the proper way to use your new found gift in a sentance that will offend just about anybody.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Trav,
Sounds like the boy needs to learn the "tough sh!t" rule. Chipping and painting sucks, but "tough sh!t." Washing the bulkheads so many times that you can see the primer and painting it again sucks, but "tough sh!t." ALL enlisted people and even some officers on my ship were doing topside preservation on the way back from The Gulf this summer. There was some spots that were overlooked while we were taking care of the job at hand, but we made it all pretty again before pulling-in to Pearl Harbor en route to San Diego. When I get some new turd onboard telling me that he didn't sign up to do "sweepers" or shine brass, I tell him to read his contract again. It's in the Oath of Enlistment: obey the orders of those appointed over me. My bosses did it. I did it. They'll do it. Tough sh!t. We haven't contracted out "high dusting" yet.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)