The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Congress Steps Up To Help Veterans!

DEMOCRATS REACH OUT TO SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS AND REINSTATE JOINT HOUSE / SENATE BUDGET HEARINGS --

Rep. Bob Filner and Sen. Daniel Akaka seek to repair damage done by Rep. Steve Buyer, former House Vets' Chair.

On November 8, 2005, Rep. Steve Buyer (R-IN), then Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, started a firestorm.

Buyer announced new dates for the House Vets' Committee to hear budget proposals from the veterans' service organizations. Buyer press release here...
http://www.vawatchdog.org/housecvanews/
housecvanews11-08-05.htm

This, effectively, gagged the VSOs by canceling a decades-old tradition of having them present their testimony to a joint session of the House and Senate Vets' Committees.

More background here... http://www.vawatchdog.org/old%
20newsflashes%20JAN%2006/newsflash01-23-2006-7.htm

This has resulted in a more than year-long wrangle between Buyer and the VSOs. Some more background here... http://www.vawatchdog.org/old%
20newsflashes%20MAY%2006/newsflash05-16-2006-1.htm ...and here...
http://www.vawatchdog.org/old%20newsflashes%
20MAY%2006/newsflash05-13-2006-5.htm

Now that Buyer is no longer Chair of the Committee, Democrats are reaching out to the VSOs and have reinstated the joint hearings.

Dave Autry, Deputy National Communications Director for the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) spoke out about this news. Autry said he was pleased that the joint hearings had been reinstated and said the DAV looked forward to working with the new Congress.

We should all be impressed by the fast action of the Democratic leadership in Congress. Patching-up the relationship with the VSOs sends a strong message to all veterans that more good things are to come.

The following press release came to me by email.

Democratic press release below:

-------START--------

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007

Subject: Democratic Leadership Announces Reinstatement of Joint Veterans Committee Legislative Hearings

NEWS FROM THE DEMOCRATIC LEADERS
Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid

For Immediate Release
Date: Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jim Manley, Reid, 202-224-2939
Geoffrey Collver, Filner, 202- 225-9756
Jessica Scheufele, Akaka, 202-224-9126

Washington, D.C. -
Today, congressional leadership from both the House of Representatives and Senate made good on their commitment to America's veterans. In a joint statement issued today, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner, and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Daniel Akaka announced the reinstatement of the traditional joint hearings process in which veterans and military service organizations appear before the Veterans' Affairs Committees. Today's announcement reversed the decision of GOP leadership in the House of Representatives last Congress.

"These longstanding joint hearings provide a vital forum to review the legislative priorities of veterans and military service organizations and allow veterans to directly express their views and interact with Congress," Speaker Pelosi said. "Reinstating the joint hearings will begin anew this valuable dialogue, and will ensure that Congress protects the interests of the brave men and women who have defended our freedom."

"I commend Chairmen Filner and Akaka of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs Committees for their tremendous efforts on behalf of our nations' veterans," Majority Leader Reid said. "By reinstating the joint hearings of their two committees, they have allowed both Chambers of Congress to work together to find solutions for our troops, veterans, and their families. For many years, this has been a vital process to address the concerns of America's Veterans, and I am extremely pleased it will return in the 110th Congress."

"I am very pleased that we are renewing the joint Senate and House hearings. I look forward to meeting with my colleagues in the House once again, to hear the concerns and legislative initiatives of our valued military and veteran constituents," Chairman Akaka said. "Our new majority in the 110th Congress once again gives us the opportunity to respond to the concerns and needs of our veterans and military groups."

"I am proud of today's decision to reinstate the joint hearings. These forums provide veterans and military families an opportunity to voice their concerns and provide guidance to the government for whom they fought and sacrificed so much," said Chairman Filner. "I look forward to working with the veterans' community, the Administration and my colleagues in the House and Senate to provide our troops, veterans, and military families the benefits and health care they have earned and deserve."

The joint hearings have traditionally been held in the spring, after the President submits his budget request to Congress. The hearings are generally tied to the veterans' service organizations national meetings occurring in Washington, D.C. The American Legion traditionally has participated in a joint hearing during the month of September.

------END---------

Maybe now we can get some real progress with veterans issues.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Like reading that, but now lets get all the so called leaders of this nation onboard and get the issue of getting the job in Iraq done with out doing a cut and run again.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great Start! Now, let's get a VA budget passed and get rid of these commissions that have been formed to screw us more!

Gimpy,

The new DAV Magazine mentions the commissions study, the one they call and ask you questions, but said nothing of it's purpose and it almost endorses answering. Check it out. Don't have it now, left it in waiting room at hospital for other vets to read.

GREAT NEWS! And Robert's right. We have to finish what we started in an Honorable way this time so all the Iraq/Afghan Vets don't have the "looser" lable like we were forced to wear.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

So we are back to where we were a few years ago. It can either be a move forward or a piece of fluff. It is one thing to hold hearings and it is another to have chuckle breaks for the Congressmen. As far as helping Iraq War vets, a good start would be putting a stop to the military refusing treatment and stigmatizing those who seek help for PTSD. It would be nice if they quit discharging those who seek help with a discharge other than honorable.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

As you know I work for one of the most punitive service branches, the USMC. I am NOT seeing people punished for asking for treatment for PTSD or I'd be out of a job. We are all making every effort to get these guys treatment. You have to ask for it, and there are many who do not for one reason or the other. I have NEVER heard of this Other than Honorable for PTSD. Now, you do have guys who choose not to get help then break laws, comitt crimes, etc. then yell, "I have PTSD". The ones I've run into that do that usually have Personality Disorders, saw very little combat, if any, then claim the war did it to them. I get great cooperation from the Marine Corps and Navy in getting guys identified and treated. I also work with the Army Hospital at Ft. Stewart, Ga, (3rd ID who's been in combat more than any other division and is heading back), in getting Marines and Sailors treatment there if outpatient isn't enough. Everytime an Iraqi or Afghan Vet goes to his doctor or flight surgeon with ANY problem that seems psychological, they immediately refer them to me for an evaluation. We had a Purple Heart Corpsman that was discharged administratively for using Cocaine after Iraq. He was referred immediately to me but he denied any symptoms of PTSD and stated he did the Coke, knew it was wrong, and needed to face the consequences. The CO and everyone tried everything they could to help him but he just didn't want it. Because of his Purple Heart they upgraded him to "Under Honorable Conditions" but he can never say he wasn't offerred every form of treatment. I know this isn't every case, but NEVER in history has there been such an awareness of PTSD in the military and so far I'm impressed with what our military is doing to identify the problem and treat it.

Pack

Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I read it somewhere. I'll try to find it.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

I've read it also and found the article to be just a little biased. I'm sure people have fallen through cracks, and I'm sure that not every single unit has done the right thing, but, as stated above, I see the military doing more than it ever has to identify soldiers, sailors, and Marines, with PTSD and get them help. No system is perfect.

Pack