Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Appreciation

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2002, 06:41 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Bob Hope (age 99) served in 5 wars

I got this in my email...
7) HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL

This week, Leslie Townes Hope, America's best-loved Bob, turned 99.

The U.S. Congress prepared a fitting gift for the nation's great treasure. The Veteran's Chapel located in the Los Angeles National Cemetery is set to be dedicated in Bob Hope's name.

Because the chapel is a national public site and Hope is not a veteran, a bill must be passed by Congress and signed by the president before the honor can be bestowed.

The bill, HR 4592, has passed the House and the Senate and awaits the president's signature when he returns from his overseas trip.

Plans are already in the making for a 100th birthday party for Hope in 2003. The San Diego location chosen for the party will display five statues of Hope ? one for each war (including the Cold War) in which he "served."

The Left Coast Report echoes what countless servicemen and women have uttered to Bob as he brought to faraway locales comfort, support, smiles and a touch of home. Once again, thanks for the memories.

How many of us saw his show? I did.

Darrel
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2002, 06:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Birthday-May 29th

Bob asks us to "Take time out for Heroes"

Bob asks that on this Memorial Day, before the hot dogs and hamburgers; the giant sales going on at your local department store; and all the fun and games - "Take time out to say 'thanks' to the heroes who have defended our freedoms with their lives over the years. The men and women who served the ultimate price so we can have and enjoy a three-day weekend to eat hot dogs, hamburgers... And while you are at it, acknowledge those who perished during and after the 9/11 terrorist attack on our nation."
Old 05-28-2002, 06:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Amen, bro ( sis )
Old 03-15-2003, 01:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I seen his shows on TV in the 60's as a Kid and enjoyed visiting the Bob Hope Rec Center at Mildenhall AB,UK every weekend they had Hog Call and the bus would pull up and drop off lots of cute local English Girls to Dance with the Volant Pine Rotation Airmen and for some reason they always orderd Budweiser and enjoyed it as an Import LOL and we servicemen would be drinking the local Beer and enjoying the Bitters and Lagers :-)
Old 07-23-2003, 05:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Ol' Ski Nose

Bob and his entourage once left for his 'Nam USO Tour from my base, Norton AFB. I was fortunate enough to be on the ground crew of his newly renovated C-141, which went from a cargo plane to a poor man's AF1. He shook hands with all of us and, as he was shaking mine, his face in that big grin, I told him how my uncle had seen him in Alaska back in '42. His face dropped and he said, "Get away from me kid!", then he laughed like hell. I also got to meet Joey Hetherton who wore a dress similar to the one Marilyn wore in the subway grating scene in "The 7 Year Itch". Gawd, she was gorgeous. As were the Golddiggers from the Dean Martin Show and Miss World. I still have a photo of Joey standing between me and a buddy with her arms around us. Its a good thing the shot is from the waist up, otherwise it would be embarrasing!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Robert J Ryan

Got to see him in 67, he had the GoldDiggers, Miss Universe, and Raquel Welch with him. Les Brown and his band of renouns, and Gary Crosby (Bing Crosby's son) it was great to laugh at something that really funny for a change. To me he is a veteran of the armed forces. He will be missed and rememberd by many veterans.