The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2004, 04:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Bronze Star Question

I am wondering how a person would recieve this and if it was a common medal during WWII.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2004, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

The Bronze Star is awarded for Valor in Combat.Andy,or one of the other recipiants of this award could,I`m sure,give you a better answer,Mel.

Peace,Griz
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

melody, hope this helps

Criteria: a. The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the military of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

b. Awards may be made for acts of heroism, performed under circumstances described above, which are of lesser degree than required for the award of the Silver Star.

c. Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or meritorious service. The required achievement or service while of lesser degree than that required for the award of the Legion of Merit must nevertheless have been meritorious and accomplished with distinction

Also it was recently decided to award the Bronze Star retroactive to any WW II vet who earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

It may sound like a wierd question but my grandpa wanted to know if it was a common award. We found a copy of his discharge papers today and he was curious about it.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default BSM

At one point in the VN war days, handing out BSM for meritorious service was common place, so much so that the Meritorious Service Medal was instituted to provide a more fitting award. Sadly, a two-tier award system prevailed in many units, with officer invariably getting a higher award than would an EM, for identical actions.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-30-2004, 07:09 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks guys!!! My grandpa had gotten 4 while in service....he got more different medals later but he doesn't know where all his stuff is.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have read several awards.

Meritorious service in a combat zone over a long period of time. Not necessarily involved in direct combat with the enemy. Those in direct combat usually are awarded the Bronze Star with a V for valor.

Keith
Old 01-30-2004, 07:48 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I am not sure if his had any V's on them. He is the type that could care less for them. The way he sees it is that he was doing his job and did what others did.

I have some stories of his that i've recorded so far that I need to type up.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Generally Speaking

You have to be performing in a superior fashion to get a Bronze star. They maybe somewhat common in a combat zone but they aren't just given away! He did something exceptionally well under combat conditions or was a brave man. Sometimes those who earn them will down play them but for the most part they were earned.

Keith
Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Not an expert

Different time, different place, different unit, different rank.

Uncle Chet with was Patton?s boys in France and Germany and received 2 Bronze Stars. Both of them seemed to have been handed out to most men in his company. He saw a lot but no specific act of valour that I?m aware of.

Uncle Joe was with the 25th in the Pacific from 42 to 46, yes till 1946. He received nothing at all except campaign ribbons. Joe was a gunner, sat behind a quad-50.

Dad was in the Navy in Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Pacific and again only campaign medals.

Uncle Lloyd (Aunt Grace?s husband) was a Ranger at Normandy, his last fight was at Bastogne and he received three B.S.?s.

In Vietnam most enlisted men I knew received Army Accommodation Medals for meritorious service but sometimes a B.S. A Bronze Star for Valor was issued for a specific act, maybe retreating in the wrong direction, something like that.

If a man has one, or more than one, the military was saying, ?Yah done good?. Your Gramps done good. However it?s sad there was/is not more standardization in why or how the award was/is issued.

Stay healthy,
Andy