The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2003, 05:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default former POW says VA disability system Racist

Today in the Georgia Times-Union I read that Shoshanna Johnson and her Parents are accusing the VA for being racist . Because she is getting discharged soon and was designated 30% disabled by the VA but her fellow soldier Jessica Lynch got 80% disability. Shoshanna and her family have engaged Jessie Jackson to help publicize her case and saying that since she is black she is not getting as much disability as the very white Pvt. Lynch.
Now when I went thru the VA to get my disability rating I thought it was the Doctor examining me and my medical records that proved whether I was eligible for a rating? Now I guess Ole' Jessie will say that they(Shoshanna and Jessica) should get the same disability due to DIVERSITY and past injustices to Black Americans. Not whether one was injured worse then the other . Shoshanna's injuries were to both legs and she is currently able to stand and walk unaided. Jessica has several vertebrae messed up and had a broken arm and leg and isn't able to stand or walk unaided currently. thats why the Doctor gave Shoshanna a 30% disability and Jessica got 80% disability. As far as I can gather how can that be Racist? Now if their medical records and injuries sustained in wartime over in Iraq were 100% identical and Shoshanna got less then Jessica then there might be some merit in the argument. Also didn't anyone tell Shoshanna that if she had additional Information or felt the rating wasn't correct there is an appeal process .Most DAV reps could have told her that and helped her fill out the paper work. The VA is far from perfect but, I don't think they are a Racist organization when it comes to setting Disability Ratings Just slow at times .......