The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2003, 04:02 PM

Unhappy Dates of Service

Well, I've fallen through the cracks again.

My dates of service were 78-81.

Again....peacetime warriors, even though service connected disabled ones, cannot join a service organization, with the ONE exception of AMVETS.

Ah well.....guess I'll just go join the local Marine Corps League. After all, "Once a Marine, Always A Marine". They don't care when I served, just that I AM a Marine.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2003, 06:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I'm sorry theodzz, this is disturbing to me too.

Something is out of kilter if a vet is not allowed to join an of the three largest (fast dwindling) service groups. I'm gonna find some kind of a way to make a stink about this.

Bless the Marines... then, now and always.

Welcome Home...
Old 08-22-2003, 08:58 AM

Default Thanks Blue!!

Any help is appreciated. I also chatted with one of my patients at work (I work in a VA Medical Center) about this. He has something to do with the local DAV chapter here. He has promised that he, too, will make a stink about the exclusion of non-combat disabled peacetime vets being unable/inelgible to join the DAV.

Bless you for your help!!!!!

Semper Fi.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default National Association of fleet Tug Sailors..........

is who I belong to. It is a small group about 1600 sailors, whose common roots are Naval or Coast Guard Service was on a Fleet tug. I served on an ATF aka Auxiliary Tug Fleet. 1730 tons displacement ,205 feet in length. Stronger than an OX. No VFW for me since I did not serve in a war over seas. No American Legion for me because whenever I went to an American Legion Post, they had the flags of 4 services up always leaving us Coasties out.

I guess I could do Amvets but between the Naval Institute, the Tamaroa Maritime foundation and the National Association of Fleet Tugs, I have enough memberships in military organizations.

The Big problem as I see it is that we do not have a common council that unites all of the veterans organizations. If we did we would perhaps be a bigger voting bloc with more people willing to listen.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 08-22-2003, 09:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have thought about the walls that separate the various "service oragnizations". I listed somewhere on here maybe 15 major ones. Each has its own members and income flow and ideas about how to do what they do. I believe thay also have rules ( mandated by Congress ? ) about who can join which groups. So it becomes basically a turf war, which each group separately bugging the President and Congress and the VA with their complaints which greatly dilutes the effect. If all the groups had one voice they could say ( like the AARP for example ) we have 15,0000,000 ( or whatever number ) folks here that are voting aginst you if you do so and so. The way it is now is a much smaller number. I guess what I am trying to say is that politicians like it the way it is and the groups hold on the power and money they have and as a group all veterans suffer for it.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

theoddz -
To have a genuine Marine say the words "Semper Fi" to an airman is a tribute the meaning of which you'll never know. Now I get to rib my jarhead buddies that I've been granted this one lifelong wish, and there ain't a thing they can do about it. I plan to rib them several times, in repeat succession too.

Bill -
It grates me no end that USCG flags are not flown at the Legion too, and I'd even go further to include the Merchant Marine of WW II who get squat, even less squat than the Coast Guard. Our service organizations are gonna hafta come up to reality or else. Thanks for reminding me about that. 26,000,000 living vets today, give or take.

Larry -
Yup, united we stand, divided we fall.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Why are we so slow to grasp these things...

Mike
Old 08-23-2003, 01:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

theoddz, Bill, Larry, sfga & others

Just had a thought (very dangerous, I know)...

Didn't we just start being entitled to a campaign ribbon for having served to win the COLD WAR!?! If I understand correctly, anybody who served throughout that whole 50 years or so is eligible to wear the ribbon.

A campaign is a campaign, right?

Wouldn't theoddz be very much entitled to her membership, especially in the Legion, on that grounds alone!

Is this an idea, or what?
Old 08-23-2003, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Cold War Medal was...........

turned down by the DOD. there is cold War Commerative medal but it is not authorized to be worn on a uniform. It is for civilian dress only.

You can apply for a DOD sanctioned Cold War Certificate:

"How to Apply for Your Cold War Recognition Certificate
By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON -- Up to 22 million former and current service members and DoD civilians can start applying for certificates honoring them for their role in winning the Cold War.

Those qualifying for the certificates can apply via the Internet at https://coldwar.army.mil, e-mail at cwrs@fairfax-emh1.army.mil, or fax at (703) 275-6749.

Applicants can also mail requests to:

Cold War Recognition
4035 Ridge Top Road, Suite 400
Fairfax, VA 22030.

Applicants must present proof of service. Army officials caution applicants not to send original documents because they cannot be returned. Applicants must use fax or mail to submit supporting documents.

Persons are eligible for the recognition certificate if they have military or civilian service with the War, Navy or Defense departments between Sept. 2, 1945, and Dec. 26, 1991.

Military or civilian personnel requesting the award must certify that they served honorably and faithfully at any period during the Cold War. Each mailed or faxed request must have official documents verifying their service. Acceptable documents include any government form that includes that includes the applicant's name, Social Security or service or foreign service number and the date of service. Military personnel can also use any of the following documents as proof of service: DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release/Discharge from Active Duty); WD AGO Form 53-55 (War Department Separation Document); or Oath of Office -- Military Personnel or Letter of Appointment.

Qualifying civilian service also can be proved with a Standard Form 50 (Notification of Personnel Action); Standard Form 2809 (Health Benefit Registration Form); an award certificate with employee's name, name of service or agency, and dates; or retirement forms with the employee's name, service or agency and dates.

The Total Army Personnel Command is the executive agent for the recognition project. A telephone help line is available at (703) 275-6279. "

Regards,

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 08-23-2003, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Oh well, I'll keep thinkin'

Thanks for all that info Bill, very informative.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Re: Legion or VFW Member?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK Are you now or have you ever been a member of the American Legion, VFW or one of their auxilliary groups?

YES

Do you believe that american vets must have our service organizations take IMMEDIATE political action, en masse, in Washington to help vets get their rights restored and protected in Congress and the White House?

YES

What are your experiences with the Legion and VFW?

They didn't make me feel welcomed at all. needless to say I was the youngest person at the post at the time. Seems I didn't earn thier respect to be called a Vet.

Do you realize that too few Vietnam, Desert Storm or other vets under age 60 are members of AL or VFW?

Maybe because they don't welcome us? Maybe because a lot of us who volunteered to serve can't join!

:cd: :ek:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown