View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2004, 01:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

At what Legion or VFW post have you not been welcomed? And I have never heard of volunteers not being allowed to join.

I volunteered, early Vietnam era, and was welcomed.

What experiences are you talkin' about?

If you've been mistreated we'll have to send a posse over and already have a cranky well-armed impatient garrison in your area... so, what gives?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2004, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I went to.

I visited the American Legion site on the web.

You can down load the official application.

There is nothing on the Official Application requiring service over seas.
Only requirement is that you served and it was during a period in which there was a military activity (war or police action).

Go to http://www.legion.org and check it out.

Keith
Old 01-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK At what Legion or VFW post have you not been welcomed? And I have never heard of volunteers not being allowed to join.
I volunteered, early Vietnam era, and was welcomed.
What experiences are you talkin' about?
If you've been mistreated we'll have to send a posse over and already have a cranky well-armed impatient garrison in your area... so, what gives?
It was the one in my former stomping grounds.
Some of us are not considered Vets, by the standards set by the VFW and AL.
Other than no one close to my age, I just didn't seem to be welcomed and thus I felt I didn't fit in.
No need for a posse, I quit that post and have no intention of joining up again. The only reason I was let in is because I have a Naval Expeditionary Medal with a star, from Bayrot. I heard a few comments that it doesn't count for much. I would have felt a bit stupid knocking this Butt Wipe to the floor and man did he come close.

I've helped at a local VFW with painting and clean up, and I do clean up tasks around the various Veteran Memorials in the town I now live in. But I can't join the VFW, I don't meet the qualifications and I will not join another A.L. Post.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 01-25-2004, 03:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Well, most of the guys at my AL Post are definitely quite a bit older than me so that counts for something in their ways, not to mention that most of them are in Last Man clubs basically... so I've been biding my time as a newcomer essentially, just like with any group. I like to listen to their stories, even if from the side, and I do what I can, like you, to help with projects now and then... some of the old guys have been real nice and welcoming to me at times though.

The thought came to me long ago, when they first invited me out for one of their do's... and I saw their ages. What would happen if there were no VFW or AL after those guys are gone... so, for that reason too, I joined up.

Sorry you had a bad experience...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:19 AM

I am a Persian Gulf Veteran and was a member of both the American Legion and VFW. I am no longer a member of either. Both are great organizations but our problem was on the local level.
As with many units you just have too few guys trying to do everything. We couldn't get the Vietnam or Gulf War guys interested. I served as Post Commander for 4 years and just got tired of arguing for everything that we did. Again thats just a local thing for us.
On the VFW side of the house, our guys were some of the most bitter folks you would ever want to be around. We had 2-3 guys running the show for years and no one else was going to have a shot.
They pulled some things that were pretty questionable so that was it for me. They started taking guys without checking their records so now they have built up a membership using guys who are not qualified.
Once again, It is just a local thing. I have seen some small posts do some outstanding things. It just isn't here. it's sad too because until all veterans join together to make our voices heard loud anc clear we are just fumbling around!
I withdrew from both organizations and began my own little group. it was not to compete with the big guys. It was to do the things that weren't getting done. We now provide flags for all local cemeteries during Memorial Day. We have been buying them and putting them out for the past 4 years. That is no small task especially with the tornadoes we had go through here last May!
We also have a Nursing Home Ministry, and hold the largest Memorial Day service in this area. We don't argue over what has to be done, we just see a need and go work on it!
We have a lot of veterans and others who although not veterans have a burning desire to help our veterans, active duty personnel and community so we just grouped together!
My website will probably explain it better. We are too small to be a voice to be reckoned with but we are able to get some things done around here.
Thanks for letting me vent a little!
TC
Terry W. Cashatt
www.focusonveterans.com
Old 11-30-2004, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Darrel joined the American Legion and VFW when he retired. He let his AL membership lapse.

Peter was at our house on November 11th after his return from Kosovo (2000). We took him to the nearest VFW post and paid his first year's membership dues. For Darrel's next birthday, Peter paid for his VFW lifetime membership.

Every VFW post is different but all that we have always been made welcome no matter where it is from Michigan to Missouri to Vegas to home in Yakima.

Our VFW post in Yakima works on a variety of military community services from stand downs to parades to school outreach.
They complain about the lack of membership even though they have more than 1,000 members. Some remember the dances they they once held at the old Armory. Lots of good family memories there.
When Peter shows up in there in uniform (or people there talk to each other and find that he is currently serving) he can't buy a drink or drink all the ones they would buy for him.

I am a member of the VFW Ladies Auxillary. When I land a full time permanent job, I will return to active membership at the nearest VFW post.

OPINION: Congress set up the rules for membership. It is my personal belief that they did this (and refuse to change it) to compartmentalize our military veterans making it difficult to lobby congress in support of veterans and dilute the political strength of people they fear (warriors).

Our only effective solution is to join the group that they will allow us membership and work on projects that are joint efforts with other military organizations. Leave the territorial imperitive at home and don't allow the polititians to continue to divide us using rules that they imposed.

Joy

Old 11-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Just for general information VFW (Veterans Of Foriegn Wars) Membership eligibilty states" The Veterans of Foreign Wars welcomes U.S. Citizens who completed honorable U.S. military service and one of the following 1. Served In Korea. 2.Received hostile fire/imminent danger pay. 3.Received a campaign medal or ribbon for service overseas during time of conflict.
I see nothing stated as gender.It does however leave out the non citizen soldiers of which some have died and received medals for their effort. I do believe the membership is down in most service organizations wonder why ?
Toujours Pret,
Dave
Old 11-30-2004, 06:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I was eligible for most all of the service organizations and decided on the DAV . The AL has sent me several applications. But with limited income you can't join them all. I am a young person so the lifetime membership was a great deal with the easy payment plan I have attended one DAV meeting in Waycross,Ga(the nearest chapter). They are a good group but it's a long drive from home so, me and the wife (both regular Life members of DAV) enjoy the magazine and the info on stuff like CRSC that has recently become available covered in the magazine. I do support the VFW thru donations ( they have the best calenders too If there was a local organization in my home town I would consider joining it but the nearest VFW post is in Folkston,GA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bp71774.jpg (12.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Terry :

Welcome aboard !! Same thing here with my experience with both organizations. I do not believe the national level of these organizations do anything but complain, and do little good all divided as they are.

Larry
Old 12-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Larry,
It's a shame, too. There is so much that needs to be done. I write an article for our local paper each week on veterans benefits and military history and such. you would not believe how many guys call me every week because they did not know they could get medication through the VA, not to mention the other benefits! Nothing against the other groups but I don't believe a guy should have to be a member of the AL or VFW just to get what he already deserves! Unless your a member these guys don't get the word!