The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2022, 01:12 PM

Unhappy The US Navy now knows why the water on an aircraft carrier looked and smelled strange

The US Navy now knows why the water on an aircraft carrier looked and smelled strange. It had wastewater in it.
By: Jake Epstein - Insider News - 10-24-22 2-hrs ago
Re: https://www.businessinsider.com/weir...r-navy-2022-10

Photo link: https://i.insider.com/6356c2a8ffcac3...jpeg&auto=webp
The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln transits the Pacific Ocean. US Navy photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Travis K. Mendoza

* The US Navy found last month that the water on an aircraft carrier had an "odor and cloudy appearance."

* The service said early last week it didn't know why the water looked and smelled strange.

* An inspection has since concluded that wastewater had entered the system.

A month after sailors on the US Navy aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln first noticed their water looked and smelled strange, the service has finally determined that it was polluted with wastewater that leaked into the water supply.

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and USS Abraham Lincoln personnel inspected the potable water tanks and determined on October 20 that "bilge water entered one of the potable water tanks through a hole that was found in the tank's air vent line, causing the cloudy appearance and odor in the ship's potable water," the Navy said in a recent statement.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, bilge water is liquid that drains from the interior areas or upper decks of a ship and gets collected in the lowest part of its body. Though the physical composition of a ship's bilge water can vary, it's considered to be wastewater and can consist of everything from sink drainage to fuel to chemicals to even sewage.

Sailors on the Lincoln originally noticed an "odor and cloudy appearance" in the ship's drinking and bathing water on September 21, and testing the following day revealed that E. coli bacteria was present in some of the vessel's potable water tanks, the Navy said in an October 13 statement.

The Navy said at the time that the presence of E. coli bacteria was actually unrelated to reports of an "odor and cloudiness," which the service said disappeared on September 22.

A Navy official told Insider on October 18, nearly a month after the issue was first reported, that it was still "not yet known" what was wrong with the water that caused the unusual smell and appearance.

"However, the three tanks that were found to have water with E. coli also contained the water with the odor and cloudiness. Those tanks were immediately isolated and secured from the potable water system," Naval Air Forces Cmdr. Zach Harrell told Insider last week.

With the Navy having concluded its investigation, it now acknowledges that wastewater was responsible for the water looking and smelling weird on USS Abraham Lincoln.

The Lincoln is the second aircraft carrier to deal with water contamination issues within the last few weeks.

In September, just days before issues were found on the Lincoln, the Navy said it found what it said were "traces" of jet fuel in the water aboard USS Nimitz. A sailor on the ship — and their parents — told Insider that the issue was worse than what the Navy originally revealed to the public.

Note: [Contaminated water hasn't been isolated to just the Nimitz and the Lincoln either. Navy and Marine Corps veterans told Insider that sailors on Navy flattops, aircraft carriers and amphibious assault ships, have been drinking and bathing in water contaminated by jet fuel for decades.]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: This report is a follow up to one I posted earlier. This issues was rampant
on all carriers since the early 60's on up [what is like before that I wouldn't know], to the current issues posted. I had commented about on and earlier post about this subject.
It was god awful at times - plent got sick and other's would go and get bottle water or
cokes from stores. How it affected us varied and some still had issues after getting out.
I know I did and I wonder if my current issues are related to those chemicals and raw sewage if part of my problems. I complained about it once or twice but it went no where.
Water mixed with jet fuels or black oil were off and on even after a dry dock overhaul
you still got the contaminated water. Their are main drains on board and plenty in the hangar bay where aircraft undergo repairs. Engine overhauls - broken lines a multitude
of aircraft issues and floor drains are everywhere. Some where their to draine to special tanks others went over the side at times. Defuel - Refuel went on day and night 24/7 when on the line. I've asked the VA about some of my conditions could it be related to the jet fuels and contaminated water on our ships. They made not but it never went know where even written up. You'd take shower you would smell like JP or Avgas at times. You never really felt really clean and you had a certain smell about yourself
at times thinking its the brand of soap you were using. Our overheads in our birthing compartments were asbestos and each time an aircraft would land it pounded the
deck and during night ops you'd wake up in morning with this white overhead
crap from the asbestos overhead in the bedding quarters. It's the truth but the Navy
never addressed this issue. They put plastic over the ceiling trying to stop it - it helped a little but you'd still breath in asbestos during the night. Moreso during flight ops.
-
It's not knew to us old timer's we've been there we know exactly what they are
going through.
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links