The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question "The Right To Refuse Service"

6-23-2018

Unless there was more to it than was reported, the recent episode in Virginia where “A White House Press Secretary” was apparently refused service in a restaurant, does not speak too highly of that establishment, in my opinion! Now I fully understand and agree that if “The Press Secretary’s Party” was too loud or unruly, the place in question certainly had the right to show them the door! However, if this move was predicated solely upon any press secretary being recognized, along with a dislike for one political party or another, then even though the restaurant had the right to refuse service, it still kind of makes you wonder, now doesn’t it?

This incident also brought back to mind an episode (many years back) when I too was refused service in a fancy foreign food restaurant because I was not attired in a dress suit! My money was good mind you, my manners were decent, my clothes were clean, and my language was certainly above board and respectable, however, this facility apparently took offense over the fact that, even though I had just stepped foot off of a long and tiring flight, I lacked a suit and tie!

So you see, I am still somewhat puzzled over the obsolete practice of refusing service to any individual on the discriminatory basis of their political party, facial recognition, or even what side of the head one parts their hair upon - once again, if that was the only motivating reason? It would be interesting, however, to hear the entire story (from both sided of the issue), but then, “Who Really Even Cares?”

Hardcore
----------------------------------

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ant/727972002/

Trump spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders kicked out of Virginia restaurant by owner

Tom Vanden Brook, USA TODAY Published 11:42 a.m. ET June 23, 2018 | Updated 3:00 p.m. ET June 23, 2018

WASHINGTON – White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave a restaurant in Virginia Friday night by the business owner because of her connection to President Donald Trump, Sanders acknowledged Saturday on Twitter.

"Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left," Sanders tweeted. "Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so."

The restaurant's Facebook page was inundated with posts supporting Sanders and deriding the restaurant in Lexington, about a three-hour drive southwest of Washington, D.C. Calls to the restaurant were routed to a voicemail box that was full.

It was the second night in recent days that a member of the Trump administration was hounded from a restaurant. On Tuesday, protesters heckled Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen as she ate at an upscale Mexican restaurant in Washington.

She, too, left the restaurant. The demonstrators jeered "End Family Separation," referring to the policy that Trump reversed on Wednesday. The policy had required that adults arrested trying to cross the U.S. border illegally be criminally prosecuted. If accompanied by children, those kids could not be incarcerated with the adults.

Since the policy was enacted in May, border agents have separated about 2,300 children from their families.

Sanders' father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, blasted the owners of Red Hen for their intolerance.

"Bigotry," Huckabee tweeted. "On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the “Hate Plate”. And appetizers are “small plates for small minds."

Bigotry. On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the “Hate Plate”. And appetizers are “small plates for small minds”

— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) June 23, 2018

The brawl spilled onto Yelp, the ratings web site. Some supporters of Sanders and Trump panned the restaurant, while their opponents backed the Red Hen and one complained of death threats. Yelp stepped in and tried to referee.

"This business recently made waves in the news, which often means that people come to this page to post their views on the news," according to Yelp. "While we don’t take a stand one way or the other when it comes to these news events, we do work to remove both positive and negative posts that appear to be motivated more by the news coverage itself than the reviewer’s personal consumer experience with the business."

Trump’s policy reversal has sent federal officials scrambling to accommodate families arrested at the border and held before their cases are heard by immigration officials. The Pentagon has identified bases near the border where as many as 20,000 people could be held. Ft. Bliss near El Paso, Texas and the Mexican border has been identified as a likely venue for the temporary housing camps.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Here's what I found on this issue:

Here's what I found on this issue
RE: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...e-service.html

1. Do Restaurants Have the Unrestricted Right to Refuse Service?

No. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, most courts don’t allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions. For example, a person likely can’t be refused service due to having a lazy eye.

2. But Aren’t Restaurants Considered Private Property?

Yes, however they are also considered places of public accommodation. In other words, the primary purpose of a restaurant is to sell food to the general public, which necessarily requires susceptibility to equal protection laws. Therefore, a restaurant’s existence as private property does not excuse an unjustified refusal of service. This can be contrasted to a nightclub, which usually caters itself to a specific group of clientele based on age and social status.

3. So Are "Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" Signs in Restaurants Legal?

Yes, however they still do not give a restaurant the power to refuse service on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. These signs also do not preclude a court from finding other arbitrary refusals of service to be discriminatory. Simply put, restaurants that carry a "Right to Refuse Service" sign are subject to the same laws as restaurants without one.

4. What Conditions Allow a Restaurant to Refuse Service?

There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

a. Patrons who are unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble
b. Patrons that may overfill capacity if let in
c. Patrons who come in just before closing time or when the kitchen is closed
d. Patrons accompanied by large groups of non-customers looking to sit in
e. Patrons lacking adequate hygiene (e.g. excess dirt, extreme body odor, etc.)

In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Note: However I take exception to hostile actions & verbal abuse based on political issues. I think this is totally out of line. Today our entire political issues on the Hill and in Congress have spilled into the streets of our country. I find this distasteful and criminal to a degree.

I'm sure this will result in a slew of media only stirring the pot further. We the People have to find another way to resolve issues - and understand that we basically have no control over what the President or Congress does or say's. His staff are told what to say by the leadership and not necessarily something they would say in public. I don't like this type of behavior and I find it offensive it needs to stop before it propagates further.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hopefully that Red Hen Restaurant owner will $uffer VERY $everely for so obviously being such an asinine, biased and quite stupidly customer insulting: "Trump Hater".

Regardless, hang tough, Sarah,...since there are a lot more of such mentally-challenged or moronic types that You (plus all rest of Good & Decent Americans) must quite sadly and unfortunately contend with these days.

Generally and as in most instances, ignorant and politically-fanatical extremists just: "Know not what they do" (if showing some kindness to career-charlatans), whether in Washington, DC, at restaurants, peoples' homes, or on the Tex/Mex border.

That's just the way it is, folks.

Neil