The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Default The VA will close HOSPITAL at Murfreesboro

The VA will close HOSPITAL at Murfreesboro
The VA will close the main HOSPITAL building called 1A the Emergency-room , the Dental office the physical Rehabilitation building 9 , building 8 mental health and the nursing home at Murfreesboro VA campus. The nursing home physical Rehabilitation people have been moved out of the nursing home building 116 into the gym today. Some of the physical Rehabilitation building 9 patients may be moved into part of the nursing home after it is empty and changed from dual occupancy beds shared bathrooms into single rooms with each room a private bathroom.
The Federal officials will get a big bonus for saving money on paper . A veteran in Chattanooga that now goes to the main Murfreesboro VA building for his appointments and emergency room care will have to drive on to Nashville which is already overcrowded with all day long lines to get to see a doctor.

I want to think all our bureaucrats and politicians for such a mess .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie Luck
do you have a link?

I can't find anything on this
There is no link it is suppose to be secret as the boss here Mr Moralis does not want anyone to know he is closing the buildings just like he did the alcohol and drug rehabilitation building a few months ago. The VA spent a million dollars refurnishing and working on that building just over a year ago. Then this year he closed it alcohol and drug rehab and put all the Iraq and Vietnam veterans with alcohol and drug problems out on the street . Operation Stand Down had helped get that program going to , trying to get some of the homeless alcohol and drug addicted guys help and off the streets. Now they will be back out there without any help with there life choices. Since he got a big bonus for saving money with that closure it seems he is going for the big bonus before retirement.
I am not as deaf as most of the guys here and heard the doctors talking that it is final now no rumor and the doctors had a big meeting at shift time today to discuss where the nurses can go that will be out of a job. One nurse is going to try to transfer to Ohio where the VA is building a new hospital.
And I will be discharged from the physical therapy I was getting in here also . So will never walk again the VA says .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksley
Veterans Affairs Medical Center TVHs drug treatment center is a treatment facility located in Murfreesboro, TN. that an individual can enter in order to treat a drug addiction or alcoholism problem. Through therapy and education at Veterans Affairs Medical Center TVHs, individuals are rehabilitated using various treatment methods which can enable them to lead productive lives. There are many reasons why a person would need to attend Veterans Affairs Medical Center TVHs in Murfreesboro. A few of the many reasons are: the inability to control their drinking or drug use, alienating their friends and family, legal problems, severe depression and general unhappiness due to excessive drug or alcohol use.

http://www.usnodrugs.com/Tennessee/M...al_Center_TVHs

Nashville Tennessean 2012-02-09: MURFREESBORO — Liability issues have forced the York VA Medical Center to suspend housing for veterans seeking substance abuse treatment there, a move that one opponent says is cutting the number of people enrolled in the four-week plan. Bill Mitchell, who retired as a substance abuse counselor from the York VA a year ago, said 80 percent of the veterans treated for substance abuse are homeless, so it makes no sense to cut off housing, especially because the lodging area was renovated within the past two years. Enrollment fell recently to four from 25 when housing was...

http://article.wn.com/view/2012/02/0..._abuse_progra/

here is links to first closings months ago .

WHITTLE: Regional VA leadership questioned on The Murfreesboro ...
http://www.murfreesboropost.com/whit...ship-questione...
Feb 19, 2012 – Mitchell targets Tennessee Valley VA Healthcare Systems' Director Juan Morales with criticism after “doors were closed at Building 11,” a ... never been supportive of the Substance Abuse Treatment Program at York Campus,” ...

re regional Veterans Administration officials concerned about soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq with substance abuse issues?

The answer is “no,” according to a former certified counselor who retired two years ago in good standing from helping administer the program to veterans with alcohol and drug dependency issues at the highly used York VA Medical Center.

“The veterans and the community have a crisis when they recently closed housing for those returning veterans, 80 percent of whom are homeless,” said York VA retiree Bill Mitchell of Murfreesboro.

Mitchell targets Tennessee Valley VA Healthcare Systems’ Director Juan Morales with criticism after “doors were closed at Building 11,” a complex that was refurbished as recently as two years ago to serve ailing veterans with drug addictions.

In a letter directed to U.S. Rep. Diane Black (R-Gallatin) whose 6th Congressional District currently includes York hospital, Mitchell outlined his complaints.

“The present director, Mr. Juan Morales, has unfortunately never been supportive of the Substance Abuse Treatment Program at York Campus,” Mitchell stated in the letter. “Despite the record budgetary allocations (from the Obama Administration and Congress) to the VA, he refused to provide funding to hire more staff for that program; provide resources to address the new mandated services.”

To date, Mitchell said he’s received “no response” from Black or Morales.

This columnist contacted Black’s office in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday for a comment.

After getting no response from Black’s press spokesperson, another call was made Thursday attempting to get a response from U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais.

If DesJarlais is re-elected in November, he would be representing Rutherford County, which includes the York VA, under the new congressional district map. However, Communications Director Robert Jameson said they would defer making a comment because York VA currently sits in Black’s district.

“I’ve called Rep. Black’s office, and they will be in touch,” Jameson confirmed.

Black’s press secretary Stephanie Genco phoned Thursday afternoon, indicating a statement would be forthcoming. However, that statement never arrived.

“We’ve been monitoring the situation at York,” Genco said after initially referring this columnist to get explanation comments from Tennessee VA represenatives Chris Alexander and Chris Conklin.

Alexander confirmed housing at Building 11 “is suspended,” but could give no date of possibly reopening the facility.

State Sen. Eric Stewart (D-Winchester) who has announced his candidacy to run for Congress in the new-reconfigured 4th Congressional District currently served by DesJarlais, issued the following statement.

“There is never a good reason to suspend housing for these veterans, none,” Stewart said. “It’s extremely important to keep our promises to them when they come home. No matter if it’s continuing their education, helping them find a job, providing them healthcare, or in this case, making sure they have a warm place to stay at night while they are being treated for the terrible disease of addiction. The ‘flag waving' can’t stop after the homecoming ceremony is over. Our commitment to them has to be never-ending.”

When veterans call York VA, they get a recorded greeting from Morales, but no directory telling them how to speak directly to the man-in-charge.

If a veteran is having thoughts of harming his or her self when calling 615-867-6000 , they’re directed to a recorded number: 1-800-273-8255 .

This is at a time when wartime, physically wounded and emotionally scarred veterans are at all-time record highs in suicides due to extended tours of duty dating back to Vietnam, Desert Storm, and presently, those coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is also the time when housing for veterans enrolled in the York VA’s four-week substance abuse program has been suspended.

It’s also at a time when 80 percent of the veterans in the program are “homeless,” Mitchell said.

“We were always under-staffed, including the past two years when the VA was appropriated its own record-high funding,” Mitchell noted. “The closure of Building 11 makes no sense, since the building itself was refurbished as recent as two years ago. It is inhumane to close this housing ... Before the closure, there was an average of 20 to 25 veterans enrolled for substance abuse counseling. Now, I’m told by people who still work at York VA, the number is down to four soldiers.”

The majority of veterans, he said, come out of Nashville homeless shelters.

“They take the shuttle service out of Nashville and arrive here homeless,” Mitchell said.

“Some stay at the Salvation Army, located miles away from York’s campus, on the other side of downtown Murfreesboro,” he added. “But, they are required to leave the Army shelter, when they lock the doors from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. During that time, they’re exposed to the elements.”

Two veterans, since Building 11 was padlocked to ailing veterans, have found refuge in Murfreesboro’s Room In The Inn program, said Christine Huddleston, director of the nonprofit organization.

“But, we have no more room, since we’re maxed out in capacity,” Huddleston said. “Nothing makes me more sad than to have to turn homeless veteran men and women away in the cold.”

“I’ve never understood why York VA officials don’t establish a permanent shelter for homeless veterans, since they have a nice, huge campus,” Huddleston said. “It makes sense, since the veterans’ homeless crisis will now mushroom with the veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan being brought home.”

Mitchell echoed that sentiment.

“About 10 years ago, the VA began monitoring soldiers coming back from war zones, and a high percentage confirmed they had substance abuse problems,” Mitchell noted. “Statistics showed in our program, before the doors were closed on housing, a high percentage of those will end up homeless, if they’re not already homeless upon arrival.

“How can this be justified in time of war?” Mitchell asked.*

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/whit...oned-cms-30217
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
Ok make sense of this to save money we will close vet hospitals that people have to drive over 100 miles now to get Medical some times life saving help the one group of people that put there lives on the line protecting us in most cases combat related injuries. But they are unwilling to close post offices in small towns and cut deliveries because it may make someone drive 10 miles to send a package or not get there junk mail on a sat.

And we want the Feds to run more of our life. WOW

Well I ask myself this , why did my father serve in the Army in WW-II and his brothers and my mothers brothers . Not for this .
My mother took Army nurse training at Peabody also and that is how she met my father. She treated his frostbitten feet he got in Germany fighting the Nazis . I think the country is turning its back on veterans , and the politicians have put veterans in the welfare category so they can cut both as entitlements and most foolish people never knew some of what they cut was stuff for veterans.
Yea some of these politicians should be voted out every year.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Default Sorry to hear that

Locksly - we just got a new small one in Crown Point, IN. Not much bigger than our old one but new. We can't get our MEDS there any more - unless the Doc prescribes one that is new. All Meds have to be phoned in or by going on the WEB. Meds are going up again its almost cheaper to get them at the local drug stores. I now take 5 prescribed (get 90 day supply) and 3) over the counter. Wife is taking 5 herself. These cost believe it or not add up in a year.

Finally made 66 - so I started my SSI should get the first check next month. Wife gets a portion of mine. However, my boss didn't want me to retire as they can't find anyone who can do my job - so - they put in a web line and bought me my desk and computers to work from home when my wife is having one or more of her procedures. That was pretty good
of them - plus I can use the insurance as well as the pay.

Can't say this made my wife of 45 years very happy - since she's used to having her own schedule that is uninterrupted by me - or me being under foot all day. But I can run her around on short trips that she needs to make - and I can watch out for her. She's got a pretty bad back and her spine can't take much more. She's been told she will not be able to walk pretty soon has she has deteriorated so much. She's almost a 100 lbs small gal but tough as nails.

VA is good for me as it has been for our three generations. My Grandpa in WWI, Dad and Uncle in WWII and Larry and I in Viet Nam. Larry died from complications to Agent Orange in the Denver VA Hospital about 10 years ago. It wasn't pretty.

I did only 12 years should have done more than my wife would have been covered as well. From 63 to 75 I feel was enough. Getting ready for Memorial Day - I take the Grandkids with me to a few places to keep them aware of those who've served and why they did what they did. At first they didn't understand a whole lot - but after 10 years of going with their Papa well they are getting a handle on it now.

I regret that many of those I went to school with are dropping like flies or have one foot in the grave. I won't let that happen to me. I've been trying to take care of myself as I know my wife will have a tough time when I'm gone. Though she won't admit it. Its funny that the longer you live together the more you pick on each other - I can't figure that out. It seems we have more bickering over nothing!!!! I guess that's just because we are all so close to the end of our lives that we tend take little things and amplify the hell out of them. Why?

There's period of time when we don't talk to each other - which aggravates the crap out of me. I'm in the dog house for reason's I can't figure out. I think its because she's got alot of pain she deals every day and when I get to static (not doing nother) well she'll rip me a new ass just because.

But I Love Her - she's a good old gal and has put up with tons of my shit for many years. I'm no saint and won't tell you I am.

Stay healthy and try to be active - its the only way to keep from falling over and hurting yourself or others on the way down. Like I said keep your sense of humor I try to find something funny about everything. It keeps me from crying I guess or just giving up.

I enjoy work because its all I've ever done. My Dad to told me you have to accept one thing in life. I said "whats that"? He said; one thing a man has to do - is that you have "work all your life" - so get used to it! So based on his work ethics - he engrained me.

I hope all you Boy's and Gal's on this site have been behaving yourselves. I don't post often but I do think you all - as Brother's and Sister's - who've done what they needed to do - when very few wanted to go at all. Serving and doing your bit is part of my families hertiage. What they did and all other's that followed have my deepest gratitude. Those who fell are Hero's to me - and will not be forgotten. Those who came back with the greatest of all injuries my thoughts and prayers are with you always. Sacrafice is something rare in this world - but of late - I think its gatching on. It's a pitty that so much pain and suffering is given (and gotten) by those who only want a better life for themselves. They should thank God they were so lucky to have American's send their Boy's and Girl's to help them in their time of need.

I take great pride in knowing that American's such as yourselves are the "absolute backbone" of this Country. God Bless us all and God Bless our Country and may our way of life continue and may future sacrafices be limited when at all possible. Amen

Your Pal - Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Last edited by Boats; 05-18-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Nicely said, Boats.
You do yourself, family, friends and fellow veterans proud.

Would there were more as good, practical, sensible and caring of others as you.

Just as for Locksly, I say to all friends: "Just hang-in-there" and do your very best.

In the end,over time and even though not always easy,...goodness usually prevails.

Neil
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 AM

The Veterans Administration is suppose to be sending out a letter to the other 32 old veterans that will be kicked out of the nursing home here in 116 building at the Murfreesboro campus of the Tennessee valley veterans hospital system. It will come out this week maybe .
If the powers that be meaning Mr Juan Morales were logical and a proper manager of our tax funds he would place the men from the two buildings that are closing 8 and 9 in building G that was recently closed after spending over 1 million dollars on renovation the year before it was closed . Then they closed it and the Alcohol rehab housing for the homeless veteran alcoholics was closed down. The closed building was already set up with a restroom for each room . He Mr Juan Morales is intending to spend more money to fix the restroom problem in the nursing home after he kicks out the 32 other guys . I know I am going as the so called social workers have already told me I will be discharged from the physical therapy I was getting in here also . So I will most assuredly never walk again if I am not getting any therapy and will then never walk again as the VA says .
We will keep you informed until I am gone from here but then you may never hear from me again.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Angry Locksly they just can't toss ya out!

Can't they recommend another VA center or at least get some local help or therapy
under the local area centers. Something is very wrong here. Keep us up to date I'm getting a little ryled up about this BS. Let's get a petition or something what they are
doing so Sooooooooooo Wronnnnnnnnnnnnng!!

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM

The social workers say they can toss ya out.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Angry Locksly

How about your local representatives isn't there any activist in your area working against this closure? How far away is the next VA center from you? Maybe they can supply a
shuttle bus to pick you guys up? Contact your local congressman to see if they can't
help find a solution. You almost have to shame them into action now adays.

Boats

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Harry Reid has to have something to threaten vets with in elections

Nation’s newest VA hospital on track for August opening in North Las Vegas

@#4#Sam Morris
The new Veterans Affairs Medical Center in North Las Vegas is seen Feb. 21, 2012.

By Aida Ahmed
Thursday, March 1, 2012 | 2 a.m.

The new Veterans Affairs Medical Center in North Las Vegas is inching closer to providing assistance to the 45,000 veterans who now get their medical services at VA institutions spread throughout the valley.
The $600 million, 1.3 million-square-foot complex being built at 6900 N. Pecos Road is scheduled to open in August. When it does, it will be the first VA hospital in Southern Nevada. It also is the first VA hospital to be built in the United States since the end of the Gulf War.
Steve Stern, VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System spokesman and capital asset manager, said that when the medical center is fully operational, it will house 210 beds for surgeries, mental health and extended-care patients, and in its intensive care unit.
The medical center will employ 1,800 to 2,000 people and become a focal point in the valley for the VA, which has been disjointed for some time, Stern said.
“The veterans have waited a long time for this,” he said. “Our patients are already established; they are just being treated in about 20 locations versus trying to get everything into one location.”
Though those 20 locations serve about 45,000 veterans, there are more than 200,000 veterans in Nevada, according to the VA.
The state-of-the-art facility will feature advanced electronics systems, computerized patient records, and automated digital media systems that can broadcast medical information into waiting rooms and classrooms, Stern said. Similar VA hospitals are currently under construction in New Orleans, Denver and Orlando, Fla.
“A lot of the focus is the patient center care, the educational opportunities, the research capabilities, and some very incredible diagnostic and treatment capabilities,” Stern said. “We’re able to deal with a much broader scope of disabilities and injuries.”
Another innovative feature will be advanced operating rooms with hybrid CT scanning equipment, which will allow surgeons performing operations to see the vessels they are repairing in real time.
@#3#Sam Morris
The new Veterans Affairs Medical Center in North Las Vegas is seen Feb. 21, 2012.

Along with sophisticated technology, the hospital will have improved security measures. As the first VA hospital built after the Oklahoma City bombing, Hurricane Katrina and Sept. 11, Stern said security was an important part of its construction.
No cars can park closer than 50 feet from the building. The complex also has the capability to remain fully operational in the event of a loss of public utilities with six large generators able to provide full emergency power, 1 million gallons of reserve water supplies and wastewater storage capacity for up to four days.
North Las Vegas and VA officials hope one day the complex will be surrounded by medical-related businesses and, possibly, a north campus for UNLV. Although the university is still examining the possible use of the 2,009-acre parcel of federal land across from the hospital, there is little chance it will build a campus anytime soon, said Terri Sheridan, North Las Vegas economic development administrator.
City officials, though, still believe that in the long run the area will become a major center of activity for economically hard-hit North Las Vegas.
“It’s going to play a pivotal role for our city to look for other insular medical uses,” Sheridan said. “A medical cluster is part of our strategic plan for the city. The focus is there.”
As part of the VA’s initiative to better serve veterans and improve access to doctors in Southern Nevada, four new primary care clinics, situated in each quadrant of the city, also have been built. Clinics are operating in the southeast, southwest and northwest valley, with a northeast clinic at 4461 East Charleston Blvd. opening this week.
The clinics offer patient care, pharmacies, X-rays, labs, social workers and some mental health attention. Stern said a clinic is located within 10 minutes of every veteran in the valley.
VA spokesman Dave Martinez said the clinics, as well as the new hospital, aid the valley’s 2,221 homeless and 21,730 veterans who suffer from mental health diseases like depression and post traumatic stress disorder.
“We’re really trying to adapt the way we practice medicine to what the patient needs,” said Stern. “A lot of the VA’s mission is to bring a veteran to their highest level of ability, whatever their injury, whatever their disability.”
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...st-opening-no/
Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 PM

There are new VA hospitals opening yes . But this is already here and parts are being closes so the manager can get a big bonus . He got one last year for closing the alcohol rehab building and the housing there for the troubled guys.