The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Women Patriots

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2004, 09:16 PM

Smile Who am I?

I am an American Woman.
I am a veteran of the United States Air Force. I served my country from the day I was born. I have a very unique perspective on military life.

I am the daughter of an AF Viet Nam Vet.
I am the niece of a WWII POW.
I served in both the AF Reserves and on Active Duty for a total of 10 years.
I am the ex-wife of an AF Active Duty Enlisted Man (husban #1).
I was the wife of an AF Active Duty Officer (husband #2).
I AM the wife of a Navy Chief (last husband, ever!).
I am the sister of two Army Vets (Bro #2, General Disch. Bro #3 Honorable Disch, Police Officer in Cali)
I dated a Marine (in my young a brash youth )
I am the sister of a Navy Vet (Bro #1 served on a sub tender, USS Dixon?).
Both of my paternal grandparents worked for the military during WWII at a very small training base in Arizona.
My two youngest kids both want to join the military when they are old enough (daughter wants to be a mech like me, son wants to fly like his dad).

I think this life has given me the rare opportunity to see every angle of the military. And as such, I can see no better person to moderate the Woman's Forum than Sparrow.

Her kind and gentle words of support for ALL Patriots is welcomed by this heart.
A true patriot need not have fought first hand in the war. My Gramm taught me that. She was 4'6" tall and 4'6" wide, she couldn't fly. But she could sew! She was one of the best Dopers I ever met, and I don't mean drugs. She taught me how to recover my stearman's wings with the proper stitches to hold that fabric taunt. She loved this country with all her heart. She came from poverty in Ireland and made America a home for her family. Both of her sons served their new home.

I support and encourage all women to take part in this forum. I have a friend who would love to be able to visit here, but she does not have a computer. Her son just returned from Iraq. Christine and I became very close when her son was called up. Out of all the people we work with she turned to me for support. I would never dream of telling her that she could not understand her son because she never served. I did my best to calm her fears and to explain some things to her on how and why he had to do the things he did. She and her son Scott are much closer now. He's not so afraid of scaring her by telling her things she may not understand. She and I have a great friendship now that we didn't have before. So now I print pages for her to read and we discuss some of these issues posted here.

We are women, we are the mothers, sisters, daughters of the world. Our traditional role is caregiver, even when we are spinning wrenches, we are looking out for each other. Yes we have been wronged. But that is all in the past, learn from it and move on.

Do I dare suppose that when I speak I do so for all women? No way. I have all I can handle living my own life. I don't need to live someone else's life for them as well.

Sparrow, keep up the good work! We love ya!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2004, 10:52 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

DL,

That was a beautiful post. I so appreciate you sharing those highlights of your life with us. I know this isa hearbreaking time for you which causes me to be even more humbled by your thoughtfulness.God Bless you for taking the time to encourage me. Come back often and stay late. The light will be on for you.

Arrow>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-17-2004, 05:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

What DL said!!!!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Awsome post Dragon Lady, and I thought I had some military history in my family. Keep up the good fight
Old 03-17-2004, 07:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dragon Lady,...

...That was purfect,...

...It states as clear as day the mission is most important, and that the gender is second,...

...I'm proud that you are a New Yorker,...

...I'm proud your a Veteran,...

...Now if you get you butt out of those drifts out by the speedway, I'll buy the coffee,...

...Andy will be at my house on the 21st of April, early/mid afternoon, see if you can make it halfway in 66 someplace, and not "Hank's",... ,...

...you got my number, call me

...(You complement the barmaid at Hank's by saying ""nice tooth''"),...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-17-2004, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Excellent D.L.!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-17-2004, 10:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Wow DL that was great and right on. Bet your gonna be a great Oma too !
Old 03-17-2004, 04:47 PM

Looks like I'm putting in for a half day on the 21st of April. Darn work always getting in my way.

I would love to meet up with you and Andy. If you guys are going to be up in Latham, I can meet you up there. I work in Guilderland, not much sense in driving all the way back to the Valley and then up 66. I always get lost on that road. Nothing is ever where it should be.

I still have the number programmed into my cell phone. I'll give you a call when we get closer to the date.

And thanks, as always I do try to speak from the heart and not my head. I can almost always stay out of trouble if I do that. It's when i start to thinking that I find trouble. ;-)

Stay warm all!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Robert J Ryan

Dragon Lady I guess your experiecne with the armed forces makes you an honorary Veteran, welcome to our ranks. Thank you for the personal sacrifes you have endured while your men were serving in the armed forces.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Robert,
I'm more thank honorary....I R 1 too. But thanks all the same.

Between active duty and the reserves I have a total of 10 years of service under my belt...Air Force.
President Ronald Reagan