The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2006, 12:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default a Brother from B Co. 2/22(M) 25th ID has visited me..

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, a fellow soldier from my Company in Vietnam drove down from Peoria, Illinois to visit me. Victor D. was the second brother I have met in person from my Company. Sadly, Buck R., whom I met in Jonesboro, Arkansas, thanks to my Vet Center Counselor, passed away last December from a heart attack.

As it happens, Victor and I left Vietnam on the same day ( Nov 7, 1970 ) and sat side by side on the Freedom Flight home.

As I have realized before, most of my memories from Vietnam are fragmented, jumbled, and in some cases, wrong. Victor helped me get some of them straight, and reminded me of many things I had forgotten about.

We went to Graceland, The Rock and Soul Museum, and several other places I hadn't been to before.

As I have said many times on here, try to contact some of the brothers you served with. It may be a little awkward at first, for many reasons, but is worth the effort.

May God Bless,

Larry
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Larry , brother heck he looks like a clone ! Met 3 guys from my platoon at a reunion last year. We all remembered the day that ( fill in the blank ) happened but very different views of what happened next
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry,

Looks and sounds like you had a great time. How wonderful that you were able to get together with your bro! I agree that there is so much about Vietnam that we have forgotten or refuse to remember. I think from a personal and professional stand point, that it is not necessary to remember everything and may not be healthy. I think some of the stuff I have forgotten needs to stay there....but, that's me. What's funny is that my happiest day...leaving Vietnam, is just a blurr and I can't remember massive parts of it. Weird. At least you got to talk to the man that shared that day with you.

Glad you had fun!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote