Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MREs

Did they have them late in VN.
I can remember carrying around some dark green pouch that said LRRP Rations. on it. Freezed dried stuff that was pretty good. I liked the Chillie-con-carni. I carried an open pouch in my shirt pocket, ate it like a trail mix (now-days) That stuff kept me going many a day. I still get the shakes when I get hungry. came from carrying that damm radio and being hungry and couldn't stop.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Robert J Ryan

MRE might be meals ready to eat, but they sure ain't fit to eat. Give me the ole C-Rats, Beans and Weeines, B-2 Units stored up on the cookies in them. Also the crackers and cheese.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:10 PM

I just remember the LRRP rations looked like someone had already eaten them and threw up in the bag. But if you put some water in them in the morning, tied them up with a rubber band and stuffed them in your pants leg pocket, they would be about ready to eat at lunch time.

The CIDG rations were really filling, had a lot of rice in them, but you wanted to pick all the little unidentifiable things out. Mixing a LRRP ration and a CIDG ration made enough for a whole day but I also preferred C's, sometimes even to messhall food.

RW
We get heavier as we get older because there is a lot more information in our heads. So I\'m just really intelligent and my head coudn\'t hold anymore so it started filling up the rest of me. That\'s my story and I\'m sticking to it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ham whether in a C-Rat or MRE is my favorite one of the bunch, Though the BBQ pork with rice in the MRE isn't too bad heated up either
Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MREs

I never got to eat one, Did they have them in Vietnam?

Ron
Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

No MRE's in Vietnam. The LRRP Ration was as close as it got. The MRE was a later invention although not long after VN. I think they started developing them in the early 70's but not sure when the C's were offically DX'd for the MRE. I had my first MRE in the late 80's, around 87-88 but think they were offical a few years before that.

I still want to know what's in Tropical Chocolet to get it not to melt. No, never mind, I may not want to know.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Nope

MRE's came along after VN. They did add the small bottle of tobasco because of us though.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Paco
Have you ever seen a turd melt?
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No cigarettes in an MRE either.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Pack

FROM THE VERTIBLE ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF USELESS AND TRIVIAL INFORMATION: Tropical chocolate was constructed (a very correct verb form, I might add!) by adding slight amounts of cocoa powder to cement and a tad of confectioner's sugar. Ignore what Bobk has to say, he's just a SP! Those little hocky pucks were formed by Albert placing a small wad of that mixture in his armpit, and slamming his arm down against his body. The resultant sound is what set off Bobk, but the final product ended up in C-rats.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."