The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default VN lifers

All the "Lifers" in VN never wanted it to end. Just think, you go over there as a E5 and come back as a E6 go home for a month and come back for a year, Go home a E7. Any Lifer that was in a base camp couldn't have it better. Ok, lets do officers, Come to VN 2nd LT go home 1st LT, Extend and become Capt. Go home on a month leave and come back for a year, Go home a Major. Why would anyone that wants to stay in the Army and not in the field want VN to stop.
I watched a 2nd LT leave VN as a Capt. Course, Capt. Terry didn't have his legs when he left, but that wasn't the norm.
I also think that had a great deal to do with how long the war lasted, The brass were making rank so fast they didn't want it to stop. The guys that paid for the carrier boosts of lifers were the guys that did one 2, 3 or 4 year hitch and got out.
If all those LT-Col couldn't make Col, we wouldn't have been there so long.

Just an opinion.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Ron

I?m just guessing but I think most wars lasts as long as politics demands. An E-6 or O-3 might throw a little weight around but decisions such as, when will the war end, those decisions are probably made by someone in a much high pay grade. I understood that a lot of the problems the military had at the end of Vietnam and for a while after had to do with people in mid-level management being disgusted and leaving the service.

Rank was easy but there was a high ?turn over?, like the Captain you mentioned.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:47 PM

I went over to Vietnam as an E-5 and came home an E-6, like to think I earn it. I also came home with a Bronze Star w/V , a Purple heart and the Army commondation medal. I left the service when I got home in June of 68.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default A-S

Im sure you did earn it. By the way, Thanks for those 3,856 well placed HE. Maybe that was one of your brothers.
What I was trying to get across was how easy it was to make rank in VN. And the middle managers of the war when they came to a war ending fork in the road, chose to not go down that road.
Because, they couldn't make rank anywhere else.
And guys like you had to pay for there staying in and continuing the war to make more rank.

Ron
Old 11-27-2003, 07:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I went over as an E-4 and came home as an E-4.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Darrel

Thats cause your from Yakima. just kidding.
that wasn't the norm.

Ron
Old 11-28-2003, 03:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I went over an e-1 or e2 and came back an e-5. I think I remember someone saying at the time, all the rank is in Vietnam. [I don't think I did any thing to earn it.] I was just there.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Your lifers

Officer and NCO, were professionals who despised war. Your post does them a dis-service.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1-6

Truth hurts.
I didn't mean any disservice. I think thats what happened, The guys that were in the military for one hitch, be it 2, 3, or 4 years paid for the people that were staying in the service. Vietnam was the only place to make rank in the military during the VN war. Its just good sence, if you plan on staying in to be where you could make rank, and make that place last as long as possible. NCOs and Officers didn't despise war, Its what they are there for, what they train there whole carrier for.
With as much fire power that was in VN , we could have been in Hanoi within any 2 week period.
You belive what ever you want, so will I.

Ron
Old 11-28-2003, 06:21 PM

Ron the strips I got were blood strips from e3 to e5 in less than 9 months really didn't want them at frist but when I reuped was glad I'd got them the next time around made six but let me tell ya I didn't start that war all I had to do is eat the dirt as you did and yes I chose to stay in the army have never been sorry for it eather.
razz