The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default From Thomas Warner to his wife

It is with sincere satisfaction that I inform you of my being well after a pretty severe engagement. Our Captain has lost his leg, Lester Irvine is badly wounded and poor Hazeltine. They will I expect recover, at least I hope so. I did intend to have resigned after the engagement but now it is impossible in consequence of the wounded officers. For more particulars I refer you to the letter I write my Brother Andrew which I have directed him to show you if you wish to see it.
My love to my dear children and be particular with my boy. Love to all enquiring friends, Henry Groff in particular who I shall never forgett --~-------- (one line missing)

My love to the boys. I shall probably write you again in about 8 or 10 days. Our brave general Pike was killed in the engagement---

Except for yourself and Children my sincere love and esteem -

Mrs Mary Ann Warner

Thomas Warner
Ensign Balt. Volt.
Note:
During Ens. Warner's tour of duty he wrote letters home to his wife, five of which have been preserved. From these letters one may follow Ens. Warner's progess from Baltimore, through Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to the shores of Lake Ontario. From camp at Sacketts Harbor, Warner's unit proceeded to the Battle of York (now known as Toronto), the capitol of Upper Canada, fought in late April, 1813. Under the leadership of the adventurous Brigadier General Zebulon Pike, for whom Pike's Peak is named, the American forces scored a victory, but lost their General, killed in battle.
After that battle, Warner's unit apparently re-crossed Lake Ontario to camp outside Fort Niagara and presumably later participated in the taking of Fort George from the British.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links