The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > International

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Commentary: Driving wisely in the U.K.

Commentary: Driving wisely in the U.K.

05-28-2013 01:06 AM

Buying and selling used vehicles in the UK

Tags:
News
Driving
United Kingdom

by: Airman 1st Preston Webb
100th Air Refueling Wing
published: May 28, 2013

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- I'm pretty new to RAF Mildenhall, England, and I'm also pretty new to the military in general. I've gone through quite a few changes while adjusting to the military lifestyle, but I would never have guessed that the most challenging change would be driving on the other side of the road.

In the U.S., my average commute included navigating a two-lane road out of my neighborhood, getting onto a four-lane highway and taking an exit directly in front of the office where I worked. The roads in the U.S. were straight, wide and gave me a "bee-line" to where I needed to go.

After being assigned to RAF Mildenhall, I sat through briefing after briefing discussing the differences between roads in the U.S. and roads in the U.K., but it never sank in until I had the chance to drive off-base.

Just a simple five-mile trip to RAF Lakenheath, England, revealed the dangers presented if a driver isn't paying enough attention.

For me, a driver used to long straightaways, the twists, turns and long bends through neighborhoods and countryside seemed like a confusing maze of asphalt.

I was surprised when I saw that, instead of changing the path of a road, a building extended into my lane leaving me with less room to maneuver. As I passed it, I felt like I was about to be squished between the building and oncoming traffic.

On narrow roads without hard shoulders, which are common in the U.K., it's important to drive as safely as possible when conditions aren't ideal. The U.K. is known for its rainy weather; be careful on wet roads which may cause your vehicle to hydroplane.

When you use a cellphone or other hand-held device while driving it splits your attention between the road and the device. Glancing away from the road for a few seconds is more than enough to cause a fatal collision. It's both dangerous and illegal to use cellphones and other handheld devices while driving.

If you're planning on drinking, make sure to have a designated driver or another way to get home safely. Calling a friend, calling a cab, calling Airmen Against Drunk Driving or even walking are all better than risking your life, and the lives of everyone on the road with you, by drinking and driving.

According to the Suffolk Constabulary, one in seven roadway fatalities involve drivers who are over the legal blood-alcohol limit. To make sure you don't become one of those fatalities you should never drink and drive.

In summary, always make sure to know how to adjust to road conditions, never use a cellphone or handheld device while driving, have a plan before you go out and never drink and drive.

Tags: Driving, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, United Kingdom, News
Related Content: Buying and selling used vehicles in the UK

by: Airman 1st Preston Webb
100th Air Refueling Wing
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- I'm pretty new to RAF Mildenhall, England, and I'm also pretty new to the military in general. I've gone through quite a few changes while adjusting to the military lifestyle, but I would never have guessed that the most challenging change would be driving on the other side of the road.

In the U.S., my average commute included navigating a two-lane road out of my neighborhood, getting onto a four-lane highway and taking an exit directly in front of the office where I worked. The roads in the U.S. were straight, wide and gave me a "bee-line" to where I needed to go.

After being assigned to RAF Mildenhall, I sat through briefing after briefing discussing the differences between roads in the U.S. and roads in the U.K., but it never sank in until I had the chance to drive off-base.

Just a simple five-mile trip to RAF Lakenheath, England, revealed the dangers presented if a driver isn't paying enough attention.

For me, a driver used to long straightaways, the twists, turns and long bends through neighborhoods and countryside seemed like a confusing maze of asphalt.

I was surprised when I saw that, instead of changing the path of a road, a building extended into my lane leaving me with less room to maneuver. As I passed it, I felt like I was about to be squished between the building and oncoming traffic.

On narrow roads without hard shoulders, which are common in the U.K., it's important to drive as safely as possible when conditions aren't ideal. The U.K. is known for its rainy weather; be careful on wet roads which may cause your vehicle to hydroplane.

When you use a cellphone or other hand-held device while driving it splits your attention between the road and the device. Glancing away from the road for a few seconds is more than enough to cause a fatal collision. It's both dangerous and illegal to use cellphones and other handheld devices while driving.

If you're planning on drinking, make sure to have a designated driver or another way to get home safely. Calling a friend, calling a cab, calling Airmen Against Drunk Driving or even walking are all better than risking your life, and the lives of everyone on the road with you, by drinking and driving.

According to the Suffolk Constabulary, one in seven roadway fatalities involve drivers who are over the legal blood-alcohol limit. To make sure you don't become one of those fatalities you should never drink and drive.

In summary, always make sure to know how to adjust to road conditions, never use a cellphone or handheld device while driving, have a plan before you go out and never drink and drive.

Tags: Driving, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, United Kingdom, News
Related Content: Buying and selling used vehicles in the UK

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links