The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2003, 01:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Very powerful words from U.S. District Court Judge William Young:

I just received the enclosed Judge's Closing Statement from a Vietnam Veteran Buddy of mine. After reading it, I realized that the judge's statement was more then MERE WORDS, it was a summary of just what the United States stands for and would have been as true back during the Vietnam Conflict as they are today.

With war with Iraq a very real possibility, these words make a statement of just what we, as a nation, intend to protect today. For those of us, that did our Tours Of Duty in Vietnam, these words also represent just why we also answered our Country's Call, many years ago.

The following Judge's Closing Statement was given by U.S. District Court Judge William Young on 1/30/2003 and was given during the sentencing of "Shoe Bomber" Richard Reid. It is a verbal statement as transcribed by a Court Reporter present during Richard Reid's Sentencing to prison. It is a very powerful statement which should be heard by all Americans, regardless of their present Political Beliefs.

January 30, 2003
United States vs Reid

"Judge Young: Mr. Richard C. Reid, hearken now to the sentence the Court imposes upon you.

On Counts 1, 5 and 6 the Court sentences you to LIFE in prison in the custody of the United States Attorney General. On counts 2, 3, 4 and 7, the Court sentences you to 20 YEARS in prison on each count, the sentence on each count to run CONSECUTIVE with the other. that's 80 years.

On count 8 the Court sentences you to the mandatory 30 years consecutive to the 80 years just imposed. The Court imposes upon you each of the eight counts a fine of $250,000.00 for the aggregate fine of Two Million Dollars.

The Court accepts the government's recommendation with respect to restitution and orders restitution in the amount of $298.17 to Andre Bousquet and $5,784.00 to American Airlines.

The Court imposes upon you the $800.00 Special Assessment.

The Court imposes upon you five years supervised release simply because the law requires it. But the life sentences are real life sentences so I need go no further.

This is the sentence that is provided for by our statues. It is a fair and just sentence. It is a righteous sentence. Let me explain this to you.

We are not afraid of any of your terrorist co-conspirators, Mr. Reid. We are Americans. We have been through the fire before. There is all too much war talk here. And I say that to everyone with the utmost respect.

Here in this court where we deal with individuals as individuals, and care for individuals as individuals. As human beings we reach out for justice. You are not an enemy combatant. You are a TERRORIST. You are not a SOLDIER in ANY WAR. You are a TERRORIST. To give you that reference, to call you a SOLDIER gives you FAR TOO MUCH STATURE. Whether it is the officers of government who do it, or your attorney who does it, or just happens to be YOUR VIEW, YOU ARE STILL A TERRORIST.

We DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS. We DO NOT TREAT WITH TERRORISTS, and we DO NOT SIGN DOCUMENTS WITH TERRORISTS.

WE HUNT THEM DOWN, ONE BY ONE, AND THEN BRING THEM TO JUSTICE.

So war talk is way out of line in this Court. You are a big fellow. But you are not that big. You are no Warrior. I know Warriors. You are a TERRORIST. A species of criminal guilty of multiple ATTEMPTED MURDERS.

In a very real sense Trooper Santigo had it right when you were first taken off that plane and into custody. You wondered where the press and TV Crews were and Trooper Santigo said YOU ARE NO BIG DEAL. Well you REALLY ARE NO BIG DEAL.

What your able council and what the equally able United States Attorneys have grappled with; And what I have, as honestly as I know have, tried to grapple with; Is why you did something so horrific. What was it that led you here to this Courtroom today? I have listened respectfully to what you had to say. And I ask you to search your heart and ask yourself, what sort of unfathomable hate led you to do what you are guilty, and admit that you are guilty, of doing.

And I have an answer for you. It may not satisfy you. But as I search this entire record, it comes as close to understanding as I know.

It seems to me you HATE THE ONE THING that is MOST PRECIOUS. YOU HATE OUR FREEDOM. Our individual Freedom. Our individual Freedom TO LIVE AS WE CHOOSE, TO COME AND GO AS WE CHOOSE, TO BELIEVE OR NOT BELIEVE AS WE INDIVIDUALLY CHOOSE.

Here, in this Society, the very winds carry Freedom. They carry it everywhere from sea to shining sea. It is because we prize INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM so much that you are here in this courtroom. So that everyone can see, truly see, that Justice is ADMINISTERED FAIRLY, INDIVIDUALLY, and DISCRETELY.

It is for freedom's sake that your lawyers are striving so vigorously on your behalf, and have filed appeals, and will go on in their representation of you before other judges. We are about it, because we all know that the way we treat you, Mr. Reid, is THE MEASURE OF OUR OWN LIBERTIES.

Make no mistake though. It is yet true that we will bear any burden, pay any price, to PRESERVE OUR FREEDOMS.

Look around this courtroom. Mark it well. the world is not going to long remember what you or I say here. The day after tomorrow, it will be forgotten.

BUT THIS HOWEVER WILL LONG ENDURE. Here in this courtroom and courtrooms all across America, the American People will gather to see that Justice, Individual Justice, Justice not War prevails. Individual Justice is in fact being done.

The very President of the United States, through his office, will have to come into courtrooms and lay out evidence on which specific matters can be judged. Juries of Citizens will then gather to sit and judge that evidence democratically, to mold, shape, and refine our sense of justice.

See that Flag, Mr. Reid? that's the Flag of the United States of America. That Flag will fly there long after this is all forgotten. That Flag STANDS FOR FREEDOM. YOU KNOW IT ALWAYS WILL.

Custody Mr. Officer. Stand him down".

To all my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2003, 01:52 PM

The Judge was right on the mark. Though he could only give Mr. Reid the maximum by law. The Judge did do him (Mr. Reid) a service and instructed him on the U.S. idealisms - of which Mr. Reid seems to dislike.

In reading the Judges closing statements it makes you think about this Country and the People's who have served to maintain it.

Both Military and Civilian have had to live within the laws established but yet understand what prices have been paid by som many to attain the freedoms that so many still take for granted.

It's refreshing to see how well the Judge outlined the constitutional points of interest and see our Flag also referenced with such pride.

Mr. Reid will be put away for the rest of his life and hopefully someone will give him a book on US History so he can enlighten himself on our American virtues.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-04-2003, 03:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default inspiring...

...words...

...thank you 1968 for posting it, and boats, your reflections ring true...

...if it's one by one that we have to take them down, so be it...

...Dayrl Whorley has a new song called ? Have you forgotten ?, and it shines on with the message of freedom, and rememberence...

...Welcome home all, this is where we'll make our stand now..........................

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-04-2003, 06:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Education

It would be marvelous if someone, some absolutely warm-hearted friend of this low-life scum bag of a terrorist, would give him a copy of "American History for Dummies," then after he had read it all, some inmate would insert a long, pointed object, approximating 7" in length, between the 3rd and 4th ribs, in an upward thrust. In case the point was missed, I thoroughly resent having to feed, clothe and secure this despicable piece of human trash for the remainder of his worthless life.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-04-2003, 06:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Amen!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My take is that the Judge was talking through Reid not to Reid. Al Qaeda recruits are nut cases and/or criminals to begin with and not disposed to any form of logic or reasoning and that is at the top level. Cannon fodder like Reid adds mental deficiency to being a criminal and nut case. Presumably, they become convinced that some ?Allah? is going to make everything just fine and press on to whatever murderous idiocy happens next. So they go to a cage forever or get killed, preferably the latter, before they carry out their plans.
Reid will never read a book so any form of studies that are contrary to his indoctrination are a waste of time. He is the living reason why the US should never bring people like him out of the field and especially not to the US. Everyone has to be something, so he might as well be an object lesion as to why it is bad business when we don?t return people like Reid to the nitrogen cycle at first opportunity.

Nonetheless, the Judge?s words are strong and not wasted at all. They are very inspiring on this eve of war. Thanks for sharing VN 68.

Scamp