The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Doc.2/47

Thanks for the info. about the 0% guys!A little puzzeled about a couple of other things.Those two 10% awards were based on the current status of on-going problems and seem reasonable.The 0%,which was a claim due to hearing loss in the left ear, was based (according to their letter) on the diference demonstrated in my hearing tests done on entry ('68) and exit ('71) from active duty.0% would've been reasonable in '71 but I'm pretty much deaf as a post in that ear now.They gave me a very extensive hear test after I filed my claims this spring but the results of that weren't mentioned.Seems strange if the % is supposed to reflect current status.

If they grant my PTSD claim I wonder how they'll arrive at a presentage.I've only seem the one shrink that one time.Would the stresser letter play any part in that?

PHO-
Wife-Nancy-said that if I become a certified psyco-vet she'd buy me the coffee cup.Told her I preciated the thought but I'd been thinkin more along the lines o one o them Dodge RAM's with the fold away duster in the bed.Maybe camo paint with 2' dia. psyco-vet logos on the doors.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Doc

The VA system for rating hearing loss is extremely confusing. Basically, they base it on the decibel loss and percentage of speech discrimation in each ear. The rating decision they sent you should discuss what the VA audiology exam showed for you and also discuss what is required for a higher rating.
If you haven't already, you should claim service connection for tinnitus - ringing in your ears. This is associated with hearing loss due to "acoustic trauma", which I'm certain you experienced. The ratings for tinnitus are either 0% if you tell them you only have it occasionally or 10% if you tell them you have it constantly. Tell them you have it all the time, there is no way to disprove it.

The stressor statement will have little or no bearing on the rating they assign for the PTSD. It will be based on the report from the psychiatrist. If you want to check out the criteria for rating PTSD, here's a link.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...1998&TYPE=TEXT

Scroll down until you see General Rating Formula......
Old 06-17-2003, 04:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Military related hearing loss?

I applyed and was turned down for a Active Duty related disability after I was discharged BECAAUSE of hearing loss.
Reason I was given was the criteria for continual Active Military Duty and the criteria for disability are different and I fell between the two even with the tinnitus. When discharged I had a 50% or greater loss of hearing in three consective freq's 30k, 40k & 50k in both ears enough to put me out but NOT qualify for disability.GO FIGURE!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default 2/47

About the hearing, I had a B40 rocket go off about 10 feet on my left side and lost most of the hearing in that ear, the VA says it isn't quite enough for hearing loss but they gave me 10% because of the Tinnitus (ringing in the ear). I'll see about what one of those Psyco Dodges cost.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Doc.2/47

Yep.Same same.10% granted for tinnitus,0% hearing loss.Also left ear.Guess if everybody else is also deaf in their left ear it ought to make for some really interesting danceing around if we should all ever get together.Seems like-"What?!"is becomeing the mosty used word in the English lanuage.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Er...too stupd...

...qualified,for hearing aida 3-4 years a go when they said "yea, your ""hard of hearing" ...

..Too stupid, err proud tp go get them yet, or schedule an appt. for "fittings" yet, don't want to wear them full time, and would rather not hear most of the bull shit half the time...

... Bill, thanks for the insight...

...I think half the problem has been that I submitted the "best proof" after the fact, and it wasn't considered through Randolph...

...after serving 2 years 11 months 29 days, Denver says, we don't you nothin' for that last year of that contract, I over turned their iniatal DD-214 , and had it changed in my """behalf"""...

"nuts"..............

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:30 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I have a hearing aid

But I wear it rarely. It helps with the tinnitus but the Doc says don't wear it when you are around loud noises and don't get it wet. It does not have a high decible cut off so it is not good for wear while hunting.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

I have two VA hearing aids. First time I wore them home I was walking down the hallway and I hear " can you hear me now asshole? " Turned around and there was my smiling bride.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:45 AM

LT been married all most 39 years,I can't hear sh!t but thats ok if I fine out what my wife is saying to me I might not like it. so I'll just set around and smile and shack my head in agreement. sometime life is sooooo gooooood.
razz
Old 06-18-2003, 07:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

30 years last April , Blues, for me. What I like about being half deaf is even if I hear her - if it is something I don't want to do or act on I just pretend not to hear and take immediate evasive action.