The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2003, 08:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness.

The great Boy Scout Troop 237 and I returned from our triumphant tour or the Far North yesterday. Cool weather, crystal skies and nobody got hurt. Pictures to follow. Sunrise on Moose Lake.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Portaging

The canoes and packs were carried between lakes. 70 pound canoes and 50 pound packs. Being an old coot, they wouldn't let me carry anthing but the paddles. Lake Vail was up on top a mountain. We carried two canoes up a snotty trail that needed switchbacks to the top and went fishing for brook trout. It was full of both trout and leeches.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lake Vail without people

It was really this beautiful
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Three fat guys

Crazy Larry, Scott and Jimmy. Larry hates canoeing but loves portaging. Scott is an ex-marine Eagle Scout that did all 2200 miles of the Appalachian Trail a couple of years ago. Rumor has it he walked a good bit of the way with a couple of models that liked to wear bandannas for bras and bottoms. He said it was fun. Jimmy is just this short guy that can just about carry his weight in canoes and equipment. Larry's daughter Mariah wanted to go the whole way but we took her back after a mile or so. Spencer, the Senior Patrol Leader in the background.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dancing loon

They really have a haunting cry. My grandson, Chaz got so good at imitating it this loon did a mating dance. The boys never did let him live it down.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:21 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

It really is that beautiful. I will copy the pictures to my hard drive CAV. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wading portage

Coming out of South Fowl Lake into the Royal River.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default hey fred

When were you in Minnesota? I've been off for 5 days , if I would have known you were here, I would have tryed to meet you some where. take it easy
Steve
Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Royal River

The wild rice had several Canadian Song Sparrows singing their hearts out. If you know the Canadian National anthem, the Oh, Canada notes came from this bird. We had five more miles of a twenty mile day to go, most of it in a strong headwind.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:36 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

How lovely and peaceful...makes my heart ache....

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."