The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We went up Highway 61 (of Bob Dylan fame) to Grand Marais and went up the Gunflint Trail. One of our leaders has a cabin on East Bearskin Lake and we started from there. I wanted to meet some of you guys but our traveling schedule was so gruelling we didn't have time. We came up in two days, 800 the first and 600 the second. Here's the cabin. We were finished and were charcoaling steaks. I'm in the yellow hat.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Many a sight to break your heart

Here's a sunset:
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Welcome back Fred the pictures are beautiful, Talk your troop into doing a 50 miler across the Olympics next year. I'm so glad you had a good trip our prayers were with you and the boys
Old 07-21-2003, 09:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Big fun!

Just before the Mile Portage on Pine Lake is a side trail. You hike about a mile to Johnson Falls. Why? Just to do a magnificent cannonball. That's my grandson Chaz. Pine Portage is up a hill, down a hill, through a swamp, up a hill, down a hill, through a swamp, up a hill, down a hill and you are there. Trouble is you got to go back twice and get another canoe so that is a six mile hike, three of which is with a canoe on your shoulders. That is one of the reasons we call him Crazy Larry.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Portaging

Here is my son, David, starting up the trail. 70 pound canoe, 50 pound pack. Don't let his slender build fool you, he is stong as an ox.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Oops, didn't come through. Try again later.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks, Chris.

I think the next big trip is a return to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I am still trying to sell the idea, though. Philmont is too easy for our boys.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Doc how beautiful and what fun. Wish I had been there but glad you and yours were. Thanks for sharing
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You are truly blessed !! ...I am very jealous..I love that part of the country..Wasn't "The Last of the Mohicans", with Daniel-Day Lewis, filmed near there ? .. if you are ever on the Western Tenn. side, even as far a way from Memphis as Jackson or Nashville ( I have a ton of relatives ( on all sides ) in Hardeman Co. , my favorite aunt and some cousins in Nashville, some cousins in Maryville, and my oldest son's estranged wife's family lives in Knoxville ( we are all still good friends..go figure.. ) )....give me a call ( short notice is OK ) and I will meet you half-way..I am honored by your service during war and in the peace afterwards.. Welcome home !!! I am PMing you my three phone numbers..

All the best,

Larry

DEO VINDICE
Old 07-22-2003, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks, Larry

I remember some of the Last of the Mohicans being filmed up on the Watauga River near here. About as far west I get is Crossville or Standing Stone State Park. Knoxville is about 80 miles from here and I go there a couple of times a year. I would like to meet you sometime.