The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2003, 06:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I you have the tar, I've got the feathers.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Tommy

Ok, when you called security did they dust for prints, particularly the case the PH was in? If not demand it, sooner the better. Nice thing about a military installation is that everyone?s prints are on file.

What was the time frame, last time you saw it till the time it was missing? That should narrow things down a bit.

Where was the point of entry? Was it a locked door? Was there any damage? If not there must be a list of key holders who should be interviewed.

I?d also put out the word that one very angry combat vet is going to push this matter to the wall. Might even let it be known the FBI will be called in. When word gets out that someone messed with the wrong people, things have a habit of mysteriously re-appearing.

You wouldn?t want a car mechanic to remove your left lung, don?t you go doing an investigation and for God?s sake don?t just blow it off. CID or whoever is responsible for such an investigation need to give you the Cadillac treatment, get it! OK, you are mad but now it's time to get even.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom,...

...knowing you well enough to say that you'll overcome this,...

...The thief who stole it is just that, a thief, he/she will shrink at the thought of wearing it/displaying it in any offical fashion,...

...you can replace the medal, and I'm sorry that it, for you, won't be your original issue, but your thoughts, and sacrifices still weigh the same,...

...you can backtrack to everyone in the area, and attempt to track down the "whale shit", but keep movin',...

...Gimpy,... love you man, but, come on,... no reason whatsoever to raise that point in question about a Northerner', especially under this particular circumstance,...

... NO YANKEE WOULD STEAL A MAN'S PURPLE HEART,...

...In all seriousness, It happened in the South, and that's where I'm going to leave it at,...

...Tom, your merit is unquestionable,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-09-2003, 07:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default JUST

got off the phone with Packo. He's calmed down some, now. The martinis helped . He's still flabbergasted about it. Never ceases to amaze me the depths that people will sink to. He hopes it wasn't a military personnel, but it doesn't look promising. If it was someone taking it to sell, I think they would have just taken them all. No, this is some low life, scum sucking, gob of spit that wanted it to show off in a bar, telling what a hero he is.

There is a good story that came out of this, and I'll leave it to Tom to tell it.

ANDY: Some good advice. When Tom reads it in the morning, I hope he follows through on it.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Update

Ski, a retired Marine Gunner, Warrent Officer to you non-hackers, Dale, a newly retired Lt.Commander, and Rich, an Army Grunt from Desert Storm, found out about the theft. They told me that I can get a new one from the PX. Told me to get my 214 and take it to the PX in the hospital and they would order me a new medal. At lunch I visited the Pawn shops. All supportive and will buy back the medal if it shows up. You have to show valid picture ID. Then they'll call me. Came back after lunch and ordered a new medal. Was seeing a patient in ICU when I get a call from Ski to come to the smoking deck, he had a problem he needed to talk with me about. When I went down, the 3 of them presented me with a new medal. Seems this a.m. they went to the PX and had the girl call Charleston to see if they had one in stock. They did, so the duty driver picked it up and brought it back. I had some lowcountry sand in my eye's when they presented it.

The CO of the hospital, the Skipper, is pissed beyond belief. He has ordered a full investigation. He is incessed that someone in his command would steal a man's Purple Heart.

The "investigation" up to now. I called security immediately. They eventually came up and had me do a statement. He was then going to take a poloroid type picture, but the camera was out of film. He went down to get another cartridge. Came back and it was the wrong size. Would not fit in camera. They never came back. That was this a.m. so now that the Skipper knows, it may change, but that was the extent of our crack security team.

The Skipper approved me doing an all hands message to tell the thief if he returns it, no questions asked. I will do it, but have no hope in getting it back. If your low enough to steal a man's Purple Heart, your not man enough to give it back.

The new medal is thoughtful and nice but can never be the same. I'll get over this, but damn does it hurt.

Thanks to all of you for the support, the kind words, and thoughts of action. If'in I get the sumbitch somehow, we will have a party for him and I'm invitin' the whole site. Just let me have first dibs!

Love ya'll

Packo

PS Will put the grapevine out in my plea that it's a federal offense and I will stop at nothing to get it back. Thanks for the idea's Andy. Will also have Security call NCIS and CID to hopefully get prints. Trouble is, housekeeping has master keys to clean all rooms and legally can have their prints on my case. All they have to say is that they had to pick it up to clean.

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tom :

Sorry this happened to you. A few questions. Have there been any other thefts recently ? Are you going to secure your medal case ? What type of installation do you work at ? I work for the federal government and learned long ago that anything I didn't want stolen had to be under lock and key. Even office supplies. Sad but true. Take care.

Larry
Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default ripped off

Sorry to hear about this. I think its an intersting psycological case because I am always curious to why people steal the stuf they do.
This PH probably wasnt stolen for the money obviously. Maybe there's someone there who hates you? Couldn't hate you too bad, he coul have done you worse
Ive had my home broken into 3 times by now an a bunch of tools ripped of at the jobsite. Now I paint all my tools bright orange--it keeps hoonest people honest but there's no stopping a confirmed thief
People like that usually getwhats coming to them. Sounds like th crack security team is on the ball there. I'm glad it can be replaced easily--its what't it symbolises that's important, not the actual piece of ribbon

James
Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 AM

The PH, means one heck of alot to the one that earned it through the bloodshed war, than any wannabee realizes.

Sure you can replace it, but its not the same.

There are all kinds of sites on this internet that would make wannabees a " real one " in his/her mind just by ordering what ever they want.

I feel sorry for you Tom, but, Life goes on, and one of these days you will find out who stole it, and you like most of us will have more passion for the wannbee than want to do harm.

You spent your time in the 8th wonder of the world ( the only hole above ground ), now see if that bastar- can live up to what you went through.

I REALLY DOUBT IT !!!!!!!!!!!

enough.........
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Paco, sorry to hear you were the victim ..........

of some idiot wannabe. But I actually tend to feel a little sorry for them myself. I'm a Coastie Vet and cannot put my self in the same league as you guys who saw constant combat. But by the same token, when the throat of a storm opened up, we went out to face off with mother nature to just plain rescue folks in distress.

By in large, I haven't met too many Wannabe's for the Coast Guard. Though after the movie, the Perfect Storm came out; and people realized that the name of the cutter in the movie matched the name of the cutter, I was stationed on, there was a new found respect. Take the helm of a half century old cutter and bury it in 40 foot seas and you'll get my meaning.

At any rate, you know in your heart what you did. I know that the dozens of Search and Rescue cases I was on resulted in saved lives and property. I don't have a bunch of medals to look upon in reflection. However the memory of the look in the survivor's eyes when you pull them on board is well worth it. You may have to replace your Purple Heart, but the memory of your trials and tribulations over there will not be affected because of somebody else's gross ignorance.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 12-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Have woodchipper will travel

Tom, If you find out who it is let me know. Just in case you haven't, call the police and let them dust for prints. Maybe we can locate the culprit. Then it will just be a matter of time.