Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default K-bar

Somewhere in VN
I was standing talking to this Marine as he was holding his K-bar. I asked him if he could stick that in the tree about 10 feet away. He said I'll bet you I can stick it more time than you, (I never could resist a bet with a Marine) Ok, I said , HOW MUCH?
He says $1.00 per through, Ok I said again. He starts out and stuck that thing in the tree 10 times before he missed. Now its my turn (oh I forgot to tell him that I had been practicing throughing the K-bar at a tree 10 feet away for about a week)
I start throughing the knife and he stopped me at 15, He was mumbeling something as he left, I won 5 bucks from a Marine though.
Ahhhhhh 10 Black Lables

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 06:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up WAY TA GO, RON!

You sure wasted your winnings on that skunky Black Label beer, though. That was about the only beer they would bring us out in the field. That was because the REMFs wouldn't drink it, given a choice. The only thing worse than a Black Label beer was a HOT Black Label beer.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Oh Frisco you must have forgotten about falstaff yuck!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Hold that pose, I've got a full bottle of Black Label from 1969 (never opened) sitting at my bar. The Cuban Budweiser (GTMO) has to rate in the low numbers too.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default ok Tom Frisco kid

As a confirmed remf, I just want you to know that we really loved skunky warm black label. I think it made a difference where you were in 1968. Maybe in Camh Rham Bay they liked it chilled, but at Hue in Feb 1968 we took it any way we could get it. [hated the water, still do]
Ron. That reminded me of a lot of boring times in our base camp when we sent time just throwing and sticking k-bars and bayonets into a piece of plywood. Never thought to bet money on it until now.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 PM

Distinctions

Did I tell you guys I got a new K-Bar for christmas the new Black one with serarated blade boy is it a nasty thing. I Love it.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

One thing much worse: hot Fresca........
Old 03-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Distinctions

Doc everything was drank hot or at least very warm over there. so as far as I can remember nothing was really cold.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dang, Ron

First its torture, now its Black Label. You really know how to hurt a guy dontcha.
The Black Label was the worst but 2d worst was the Schlitz. Anybody besides me ever get one of those half filled cans?? With Schlitz, used to be about evry 5th one, it tasted like vinegar.
Why?? I shook my fists to heaven Why were we only ever given these shitty beers?? Well, it was war in the 60s, we all had to make sacrifices, not at all like war today--just put it on the national Visa card. Its privatised now, ammo dump guards make $90Gs a year and all found. Oh to be young again.
The reason for all the shitty beer became very clear to me during the Khaki Mafia scandals. Remember that??The Top NCOs of that war, all the way to the TOP were busted with their fingers in the taxpayer's pie and I mean some FAT fingers.. They were taking payoffs from suppliers and skimming the slot machine take--we're talking MEGA millions here. Some leaders. eh? A man can't fight a war with shitty beer, No wonder it was such a struggle!
This was a State-Of-The Art upgrade of the ol Company Fund Scam (Did anybody EVER see where the Company Fund was spent ? Your commanders did)
It turned out that one of the major contributors to The Senior NCO Retirement Fund (Swiss bank accounts and all) was the distributor for Schlitz, Black Label, Faklstaff, all those 2d and 3d grade beers the taxpayers were paying top dollar for. A major Ah HA! here for the humble undersigned, I was just starting to take business classes when it happened.
The scandal went all the way to the top--the first Sgt Major of the Army, Wooldridge was one of the ringleaders. Many officers were also involved. As I said, some commanders, eh? doing their best to see we got the worst--for a profit.
Just good old American free Enterprise I guess, same like Halliburton and Enron.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Tom , at Dong Ha even the REMF's drank Black Label !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote