The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Throwing kinves

I never practiced throwing a knife--Why throw a knife when a grenade works so much better and you have more of them??
They gav us survival knives when we got to Recondo School, this was a pretty good hunting knife with a serrated edge. They never taught us how to knife fight, not in infantry school Recondo school, Jungle school, why not? Sometimes people kill other people with knives in war, they have to come up with their own way, I guess.
American soldiers can do stuff like that in war, I'm certain of this.
James
Happy just to be alive
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

BlacK Label, Falstaff and the ultimate shipped direct from the Phillipines.......San Meguel
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default K-Bar

Most every where I went had some 101 guys or Marines there, And about a million K-bars and M-14 bayonets,
I got used to drinking Black Lable warm/hot. At 19 I didn't care much.
Slummer-- you were in Hue Feb-68? Where at? did you make it to the sididal, what Marine unit were you with, Not K company I hope.
I was there in Feb 68 with some 101 guys, We made it almost to MACV . Met some Marines at the cannal bridge in new city, Never did I not want to be a Marine more than that day.

Ron
Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: WAY TA GO, RON!

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid You sure wasted your winnings on that skunky Black Label beer, though. That was about the only beer they would bring us out in the field. That was because the REMFs wouldn't drink it, given a choice. The only thing worse than a Black Label beer was a HOT Black Label beer.
Tom'

The only thing worse was no beer (or dew) But it WAS almost enough to make a man quit drinking--but not quite enough
See ya on Sat!!
James
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ron!!

Is that the same one I saw in Louisiana last year??

James
Old 03-18-2005, 05:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default self with survival knife

see I'm wearing the survival knife here. (self on left) it was kinda cool we used it for opening C's and stuff

Note added later-- don't know how this got so small -see the big one at:
http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Lordy we were young , James. Who would have thunk we would get to be this old. 2005 , there were many times I thought 1971 was going to be my last year here. I always carried a bayonett and actually could have used it one day ... but I had a bullet left and after I fired it there was no need to stick him
Old 03-18-2005, 07:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron

Someone said we were attached to the 3rd Marine Div?? Our base camp was a few miles south of Hue. It was named Gia Le Combat Base. Some seabees and a lot of Marines. [It later must have combined with Camp Eagle 1970 or so.] My memory of 1968 kind of runs together. I remember driving through Hue in convoys,[I think on the way to Dong Ha] and kind of ducking down behind the steering wheel because of a lot of small arms fire. I think the NVA still controled the other side of the river and the Citadel. I think it must have been Feb because they still didn't have it in March did they? One of our LT.'s I met last summer took movie pictures of bombed out Hue and air strikes and etc on the citidel. Catman stoped over the other week and I made him watch some of the movies. [He hasn't been back since.]
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 AM

RE: Throwing knives

Wasn't many K-Bars in the grunt outfits I was with , Whosover carried a .45 , was issued a K-Bar . Weapons , Staff NCO and Officers. The rest of us carried our own Buck,Gerber,Case ,Randall blades. Great knife the K-Bar.

Black Label, Lucky Lager and that Viet Ba Mui Ba (33) . Numba 10 .
Old 03-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Slummer
Hue doesn't begin untill you go over the river. The part next to RT 1 is call the New city of Hue, (I didn't name it)
We left at the end of Feb, I remember being told that the city was secure, I thought ---Hua, Did anyone tell the NVA.
There were a bunch of Marine units there, As I recall the 5th Marines didn't get there until about the 10 or so of Feb. The 3rd Marines were there and the 1st Marine, and some 111 Ampibious Marines ? Not sure who or what they were.
We heard that the Marines blew the bridge but latter the same day we were told that the NVA blew it to keep the Marines there.

James
The one I had last year was Dark Blue This one is Orenge and faster.

Ron