The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2006, 06:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor
Everything you do and everywhere you go in the military are usually from "orders". (verbal or written) Yes I was "ordered" to go to Vietnam, but looking back over the past 60 years, it had to be the most rewarding and educational year of my life. ( I never would have made that statement while I was there ) The chosen few, who served in Vietnam have formed a brotherhood that no one can match. If You havn't done so already, check out the east and west coast campouts in the gallary section.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2006, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question I Volunteered To Go:

I enlisted in the Air Force in May 1966, went through Boot Camp and then Specialized Training. By the year 1967 I was fed up with the Chicken S--T of Stateside Duty and with MOCK NUCLEAR ATTACK EXERCISES that were frequently pulled on the base I was assigned to. We were confined to the base for days at a time and were even prohibited from moving around the base freely.

After about the forth such exercise, I then went to Personnel Division and submitted a written request for Vietnam Duty. I then received my orders in October 1967 and was assigned to CamRanh Bay in January 1968. My Tour ended when I caught The Freedom Bird back To The World in January 1969. I doubt that any other year of my life changed me as much as the year 1968 did. For better and for worse!!

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish you a most sincere and heart felt:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I enlisted in Army and took an oath of enlistment, so I took that to heart and followed the orders of the officers above me and did what I thought was my duty to do. The other two tours of duty in Vietnam were on me, and it was the only place I was accepted for who I was not for what I was. I will never forget those 1,087 days I spent in Vietnam, nor will I forget the men I served with. Heros all of them.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 12-25-2006, 03:37 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Taylor,

I enlisted, went to Basic, then Medic training, then to Airborne training, then to Panama for three months before I volunteered for Vietnam with another medic friend from my platoon. He ended up in a field hospital and I ended up in the field. We were both able to be of service to our fellow warriors, as we had intended.

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 12-25-2006, 04:55 PM

urbsdad6........The Army sent you to Panama for only three months before sending you to Vietnam without finishing you TOD in Panama ?
When I was in the Army in the early 60s, you had to finish your TOD if you was stationed outside the Continental US before they would approve any transfers.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 12-26-2006, 03:45 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

When I was in the AF, they handed out what we called "Dream Sheets" every 6 months. In a sense they asked, "If you were to be stationed anywhere in the world, where woul you like to go?". For 3+1/2 years I wrote Viet Nam, and for 3+1/2 years I stayed in San Bernardino, CA (except for the numerous TDY's). Finally, when I decided that the military was not going to be my career and I was due for discharge, they offered to send me to VN if I'd re-enlist. I asked, "Where the hell were you 3+1/2 years ago!?" That's why "military intelligence" is an oxymoron.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

First choice was Cruiser- Destroyer-Pacific 7th Fleet; CRUDESPAC, and that?s exactly what I got after a stint in 1st Fleet.
Navy needed armor and firepower in VN so the retread WWII Cruisers and Destroyers were up to bat. Plus single first cruise critical rated Sailors were first list-first names on the list to man the retreads n? off we went.
First AM coming into Hue harbor foretold events to come. Morning fog, lots of floating debris; looked like jungle wood from up the Perfume River, and someone said, ?holy shit?, look at that; two bloated corpses, tied together, and floating out to sea. Not ours, so we didn?t retrieve and a story to repeat many times over in the next two years. Kind of a very grim welcome aboard deal and that very morning we started shooting n' shooting n' shooting well into the night where we shot star shells then prox frag.

Scamp
Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 AM

rewardoc......they do that to everybody when they get close to their ETS. They like having something they can dangle in you face to get you to reenlist.
I was a light wheel mechanic in the Army and when I got close to my ETS, they told me I could go to "Master Mechanic" school if I would reenlist. I had a hunch they was jerking on my chain, so I called the local Army recruiter in Columbus, Ga. and asked what the duration was to be trained for that MOS. He told me there was no such school.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

In Dec 1967 I was in an Army truck driver school at FT Hauchuca AZ. A platoon would graduate every week and they all would get orders for Vietnam. For some reason, [maybe because I had been in the hospital] everyone in my platoon but me got their orders for Nam. I though I would probably spend my whole 2 years in Arizona. I felt awful thinking that all the other guys were going but me. Finally I was able to find a E-4 clerk that worked in the area where orders were processed. After paying him $20 the next day I got my notice for RVN training. I didn't like Vietnam much after I got there and wished I'd stayed in AZ. I guess I went because I wanted to be with my buddies. Funny, but, I payed to go. [you don't think real smart when your 19 or 20.] I want my $20 back.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ah yes,

why did I go to Vietnam?

Let me recall the reasons.

Well, 1966/67 was one of the coldest winters in "Hotlanta, Jawga" on record. And I longed for a warm, tropical paradise to thaw out my frozen bones!

I figured since my ancestors were from lowland "GEECHEE" country along the coast of South Carolina and were expert rice farmers, I should go somwhere that had an abundance of rice farmers (The Mekong Delta) and learn my forefathers way of life.

Uncle Sam sent me geetings and salutations early that winter of 1967 and offered (actually ordered!) me the oppotunity to fulfill both of my wishes mentioned previously. How sweet of them, huh?

After a few weeks in basic training at Ft. Benning, GA. and seeing how damn good lookin those 'Infantry fellers' uniforms were with those CIBs' above their left pockets and those baby blue neck scarfs on I volunteered to go where I could accomplish my first two goals AND become a fire breathing, ass kickin, double-timin, expurt shootin shore nuff bad-ass "FOLLOW ME, I AM THE INFANTRY" kinda soldier!

And, after spending several more weeks at a lovely little place in the mountains and rain forrest of Northern Alabama at Fort McClellans' 'Tiger Land' learning the finer arts of modern ground combat. I was sent on my merry way to Southeast Asia and that beautiful vacation wonderland called .....South Vietnam!

And, that's "why" I went to Vietnam.

PS---------Those damn travel posters turned out to be a bunch of baloney!...........It weren't NUTHIN like they said it was gonna be! A whole bunch of little fellers named 'Charley' were a -shootin at my young ass near about every few days (especially nights!) or so!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.