The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2002, 09:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry We're Baby Killers-again

I saw references in several news sites throughout the world (Russia, England, Pakistan) to President Bush giving orders to kill women and children so I tried to find out where the story came from.

Below are excerpts from a news article from Ithica, 2 postings from a site previously unknown to me and a Fox news article.

Saturday, May 25, 2002
Fresh memories of war
Soldiers prepare for their second mission at the Bagram military base in East Afghanistan.

By KANDEA MOSLEY
Journal Staff
ITHACA -- The stench of decaying flesh hung heavy in the air as soldiers passed blown-up bunkers and caves.

As they moved down an L-shaped corridor, the stiffened limbs of a Taliban soldier jutted from beneath piles of rock and dust in the sweltering afternoon air.

Ripped-up pages from the Koran, and booklets describing ways to kill Americans, littered the tree-lined valley that had been bombarded by U.S. air strikes before their arrival.

These recollections, marking the intensity of every hour of every day felt in combat, typify the memories that resurface for veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and other military combat this Memorial Day weekend.

For Army Private Matt Guckenheimer, who recently returned home to Tompkins County after two missions in Eastern Afghanistan, processing these memories and readjusting to American life has just begun.

Guckenheimer, who helped clear the L-shaped valley near the border of Pakistan whose twists and turns are burned into his memory, explained the nature of his company's mission. In doing so, he spoke candidly about the reality of war.

In an April interview with The Ithaca Journal at his family's Cayuga Heights home, Guckenheimer, 22, shared his experiences during Operation Anaconda. He was sent on March 6 in a company of more than 100 soldiers to participate in the largest U.S.-led ground engagement in Eastern Afghanistan.

"We were told there were no friendly forces," said Guckenheimer, an assistant gunner with the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum. "If there was anybody there, they were the enemy. We were told specifically that if there were women and children to kill them."
http://www.theithacajournal.com/news...es/380284.html

Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Posted 8:28 PM by The Comedian
In a largely unbelievable interview, Army Private Matt Guckenheimer told the Ithaca Journal that he and his fellow soldiers were given direct orders to kill women and children . Years ago a friend conclusively proved to me that anyone with half a brain would never talk to the media. Private Guckenheimer and his family prove my friend correct. Ithaca is the City of Evil.
"We were told there were no friendly forces," said Guckenheimer, an assistant gunner with the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum. "If there was anybody there, they were the enemy. We were told specifically that if there were women and children to kill them."
http://comedian.blogspot.com/

Orders to Kill Women and Children?
An Army Private who served with Tenth Mountain Division during Operation Anaconda in eastern Afghanistan claims he was under orders to kill women and children. Private Matt Guckenheimer told the Ithaca Journal (New York) that he and about 100 others were sent into the area in early March. "We were told there were no friendly forces," he said. "If there was anybody there, they were the enemy. We were told specifically that if there were women and children, we were to kill them." The Tenth Mountain Division told FOX News today that its rules "did not permit such illegal acts."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,54124,00.html

Matt Guckenheimer sent a letter to editor of the Ithaca Journal clarifying his statements last week. For posterity I am reproducing the entire letter below.
Recently your paper quoted me as saying that my unit was ordered to kill women and children.

I would like to clarify this quote and provide more context.

Prior to the operation, we were made aware of the fact that the hostile forces of the Whaleback might include women and children. In that event, if those women and children showed hostile intent, we were ordered to kill them as hostile forces, just like any other hostile force we encountered. However, this does not mean that we were ordered to slaughter noncombatants such as babies.

We were further informed that some of these children are trained starting at a very young age to be soldiers. Knowing this, we could not afford to just dismiss them as noncombatants.

However, I do not want anyone to get the idea that we were ever sent out to kill anyone and anything that moves. We are better than that, both as a military unit and as a society.

Matt Guckenheimer

Cayuga Heights, May 31
http://comedian.blogspot.com/2002_06...n_archive.html
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2002, 10:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Young Naive Soldier.

The press just loves to use partial quotes and misinformation to sell papers. Which isn't freedom of the press but freedom of explotation.

The Army should provide debriefing for these kids going home and telling them about the press that just loves to twist their quotes.

Think before you talk to the press, they'll twist it around.

Keith
Old 06-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

I just wantd to post the whole thing so people who read here have a better idea as to what the soldier really thinks he was told.

The story is posted throughout the world so I expect it to hit hard here eventually.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post The Press Just Loves Controversy

All political persuasion of the press loves controversy. Wise people never get all emotional about something in the press until we have examined it carefully. I have seen exaggerations on many issues. I just hope the American public recognizes the truth rather than the sensationalism of the press.

Keith