Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Twenty First Century

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Angry Flesh wound?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...lesh-wound-ncx

Insurer says UK marine shot in head by Taliban suffered only 'flesh wound'

A member of the British Royal Marines who suffered brain damage when he was shot in the head by a Taliban bullet has been told by insurers that he only suffered a "flesh wound," it was reported Tuesday.

Liam Brentley, 25, had parts of his skull, jaw and brain tissue removed, and was left suffering deafness and memory loss.

The father-of-two survived only because his goggles deflected the sniper round, which hit him while on patrol in Afghanistan in June.

But Brentley and his family have been left outraged after he received a letter giving an initial insurance payout of just £1,500 ($2,400) -- with his injury described as a "flesh wound."

Brentley's father Gary, 50, said, "I'm stunned and insulted. A flesh wound is surely a graze from a bullet -- my son had half of his head blown off."

Brentley, who is still recovering from the incident, has applied to the UK Ministry of Defence for compensation.

Insurance firm Chartis said that if Liam still has permanent injury after a period of recovery, normally a year, he will receive more cash.

A spokesman said "flesh wounds" covered all injuries inflicted by bullets.

He added, "If the wording has caused stress then we apologize. But this is just the start of the assessment procedure."
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Thumbs down The Nanny State goes all PC over the Army

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-weapons.html

Army cadets banned from carrying rifles on Remembrance Day parade because it 'glamorises' weapons

Army cadets have been left ‘bitterly disappointed’ after being banned from carrying rifles on a Remembrance Day parade - amid fears the weapons might 'upset' onlookers.

The young cadets have proudly marched with rifles for decades and around 100 had spent months fine-tuning the drill where they would showcase their skills.

But the cadets were left 'gutted' just days before the big event when military top brass cut the rifles from the display following complaints from members of the public

They were warned the rifle display during the march in Plymouth, Devon, could be deemed as 'glamorising' weapons.

Cadets were left 'bitterly disappointed' by the late change, which organisers today branded 'political correctness gone mad'.

Basil Downing-Waite, chairman of the Federation of Plymouth and District Ex Services Associations, which organised the event, said: 'It's political correctness gone mad. I feel bitterly disappointed because it gives the young people a sense of responsibility.

‘They are delighted to do these displays.'

The Remembrance Day march is still due to go ahead, but without rifles.

A senior cadet instructor said the children had been left 'very upset' by the ruling.

Police Chief Inspector Brendan Brookshaw said his son Henry and daughter Rosie were 'very disappointed' at the late change.

He added: 'This week, the commanding officer for Plymouth cadets told them they couldn't do it any more because some member of the public complained about cadets marching with rifles.

'They have been doing it forever. My children have been doing rifle drill displays for the past four years and I did it when I was a cadet.'

Chief Inspector Brookshaw added that his son was one many Plymouth cadets who marched carrying rifles as part of a Freedom of the City parade in September.

But Devon Cadet Executive Officer Major David Waterworth put an end to the tradition after he ruled that carrying weapons was 'not good for the image' of cadets, who can join between the ages of 12 and 18.
He said: 'There is no need for children to appear in public with weapons. It does upset some members of the public.

'There is no need for it. It doesn't reflect our aims and ethos in the Army Cadet Force. We are not soldiers.
'People say it's traditional at Remembrance parades, but there is no need to carry a weapon to remember the dead.

'I stopped it as soon as I heard they were doing it. It's not good for our image to have children carrying weapons in public.

'We are not members of the Armed Forces - we are a youth movement sponsored by the Ministry of Defence.'

He added that a ruling against children carrying rifles had been in place for ten years, but had not been enforced until now.