Old 04-26-2002, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default BooBoos with bombs again - wishing it different w/o criticizing

fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 26-10-2001 at 22:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess we had quite a few booboos again over there in the pit of dispair called Afganistan....
I don't want to "criticise" those making the human errors - yet, I wish they would get a handle on why it's happening and avoid any more deadly errors. See, I am very concerned about the tide of the locals turning against the USA and our fighters - and if I were confused, starving, widowed or orphaned, illiterate, and ignorant of larger info as so many reportedly are there, I would not only NOT understand the dropping of bombs with one hand and food packets at the same time with the other. I'm so afraid the awful results of the bombing errors are just playing right into the Tallybum's hands as they continue their propaganda against us.

I have less than zero info about how bombing works, what's computerized, where the opportunities for human errors in target programming or whatever are, and certainly don't feel qualified in the least to criticize. Yet, the repeated mistaken bombing of Red Cross compounds and such really, really seem to be coming at perhaps the worst possible time.

How the heck does this bombing stuff work?
m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 27-10-2001 at 02:16
I have nothing to back this up but the bombings probably were not mistakes. it has been widely reported that the tallywaker militia and a lot of it's equipment is now going into hiding among civilians and in civilian buildings. It has also been established that they are firing on civilian targets themselves to make it appear as American mistakes. They are truly cowards.

Profile www Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 27-10-2001 at 05:49
David I'm glad you posted this. I was thinking the same thing. My mind is blown away by what these people are willing to do to their own people. God I feel so sorry for those people that are caught in the crossfire. What a hell they are livin' in. And have been livin' in. I'm beginning to wonder even after they get rid of the present government if there will be anything different than what they already have. The winter comin' on now guess that will solve the problem for many of the wannabee leaders over there. The winter is going to kill off a whole lot of the people. They will probably see it as a good thing. Less mouths to feed. What a freakin' nightmare. Almost too much for the human mind to comprehend. Its a living hell. I just keep thinkin' about those people runnin' for the border and gettin pushed back...no food, no water, no shelter. And then trippin across mine fields to pick up what little we are droppin from airplanes. Old people, women and children. I am really beginning to have second thoughts about not having coalitions to go in and take over governments...how long can the world stand back and allow a people to just suffer and suffer without doing anything about it...what a screwed up mess man has made of this planet...man and all of his genius has brought us to this...I'm not talking about the everyday people of the world...I'm talking about those that are never content to live and let live...something inside them just wants more and they do not care how they get it...the end always justifys the means to them...I know I'm off the topic here...but some nights are just this way...I guess it's like Frisco said in his post I stand in awe at what human beings can do to one another...and it breaks my heart...just breaks my heart...sis

Profile Qoute
Cracker_Jack

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 29-10-2001 at 10:40
M,
There are "smart bombs" and "dumb bombs". During VN the dumb bombs were called "Iron Bombs" and the most usual were the 250 and 500 pound variety. In design they were relatively simple steel tubes packed full of high explosives with an arming, detonation mechanism and stabilization fins. When released, there was a pop can pull tab looking device hooked to a steel cable and when the bomb was released the pull tab and cable armed a timing device; usually a small prop that spins in the air, and when this times out, the detonator is good to go upon contact. The thing about Iron bombs is that once released, only gravity and the stabilization fins guide it and there can be a wide variation in where bombs fall from the same bomb load fall. During NV, the typical required standoff from a B52 strike was around 2 miles. The bomb I was most familiar with was the 250 pounders that an F-4 phantom would carry. Those guys would come howling in at 250 knots let one go and Jasus, it was a sure bet that bomb would go somewhere but just where was always the question and concern. Wing rockets without some kind of guidance system can be a lot more accurate but like the Iron bomb, they are on their own once launched. Smart bombs and rockets usually follow a lazar spot to the target. This lazar can be from the aircraft or from a ground targeting lazar beam. Smoke, clouds and dust can cause displacement, refraction or scattering of the lazar so they can go astray as well.
At present, I believe that the lack of ground intel and target spotting/ ID is a big problem. In the last three weeks all the low hanging fruit has been picked and it is going to get tougher and tougher to get a clean target. There is only so much targeting that can be done from BDA photos and air recon photos and as the Taliban sucks closer and closer to populated areas, there is going to be more and more civilian casualties. That is real sad, but that is real, that is war and that is a fact.
Bill

Profile Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 31-10-2001 at 04:08
Bill, thanks for the info...... I saw earlier tonight via our wonderful tv news that suspicions are the Tallybums are circulating locally the threat to poison the dropped food, etc. Could be that the double hits on the RedCross warehouse thingies pertain to facts we don't need to know, as it were.

Yes, isn't it convenient the they attribute their own explosions, and whatever firepower the local Resistance has, to us. Jeez....they hate women, but they sure as hell aren't too brave not to hide behind them, and children, huh? Considering a female having her week of the month is considered dispicable and unclean, I wonder if they only hide behind UNmenstruating women....or are they gracious enough to not discriminate when they want to use innocent bodies as shields to hide behind....
/insert loud foul language of choice....in repetition.......

I gotta find that link to the news-site publicized, 'Govt wants to hear your ideas how to fight terrorism...click here' link.
MAN do I have a few ideas.....including SADDLE UP Vets willing, like those here, especially VVets & Gulf War, and put THEM in charge of airport security - regardless of age or physical disability. I can't think of a more ready-to-hit-the-ground-running, savy, 360 degree eyesighted, better bunch of patriots to use their experience base, savy and instincts to detect those that are 'wrong' in an airport setting, can you?
Dumbest thing being done re the Air Marshall program is making the top age, I think, *40*.....dumb, dumb. I'd rather have a 55 -65 yo VVet on a plane as a trained Air Marshall than some 'couldn't decide on a better paying profession' 21-39 yo bozo from Anywhere, USA, just because they can make the age limit.

Oh well, it's not like they ask *me*, ya know?
m

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 04-11-2001 at 16:39
Looking at other military web sites, this same topic is under discussion. Several posters quoted foreign sources as saying that the Taliban have been hiding in UN and Red Cross buildings and mosques. If that's where they're at and we're bombing them - GO FOR IT!
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links