The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Default VFW or American Legion.

Hey. I got an application in the mail for both the VFW and the American Legion. I don't know which one to choose. The American Legion here in Wetumpka just started up again. They meet at the National Guard Armory. The VFW has been here a while so they have their own building including a bar. I'm not much of a drinker anymore so that doesn't mean much to me but the comraderie would be nice. Any ideas or info. would be greatfully 'preciated. Thanx,
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default RE: VFW or American Legion.

Although both are decent organizations.....if I were to choose it would be the VFW. To get in, you had to atleast been in a combat zone. Not so the American Legion.

Nostropackos

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Default RE: VFW or American Legion.

Personally I would request a complete pricing list from each bar, but since you don't drink, Usually the VFW has illegal gambling in the back room and they allow free spirited women in the bar.... Go with the VFW
bOOger
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Packo,
You're are sort-of wrong about that: "Must have been in a combat zone" for VFW and that American Legion accepts ALL Honorable Veterans.

Any serving between February 1955 to 1958 on Czech/West German Border (as self & buddies did) or on The Korean DMZ and many other incorrect time spans,...DO NOT QUALIFY for membership in either VFW or Legion. Can only sign in as guests, just like any other civilians do.

Matters not that friends & I served 28 months overseas & much time on: "Lock & Load" as a Soviet Delaying Action, since not during THE CORRECT YEARS that both VFW & Legion abide by.

Of The 25-30 or so Million Veterans existing, only about HALF having served during THE CORRECT YEARS actually qualify belonging to either VFW or Legion. Thus, it's no wonder that both combined have only about 6 million members.

Fortunately for any of you other 2nd Class Veterans so insultingly snubbed by their Veteran Betters, there exists The AMVETS. AMVETS do not have chronological Dates of Service or even Area Ribbon DISQUALIFIERS, for Recognizing Service to Country by ANY Honorable Veterans.

So Greywolf, just take your pick.
All 3 would just love your time, efforts, dues & donations,...and no doubt serve the very same booze at a righteous price, anyway.

Neil